Notices

Side effects of early recovery...

Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Side effects of early recovery...

Hi everyone,

I'm 35 days solid sober after an alcohol withdrawal-induced seizure, followed by 5 days detox on Librium in hospital. I'd been drinking alcoholically for 7 years.

Can anyone tell me if it's 'normal' to still be feeling lethargic, very sleepy (up to 14 hours a day!), lacking in concentration & sometimes slightly blurred vision? Or any one of these...

I'm not on any heavy meds that might cause these affects, I'm waiting the results of a brain scan...everyone is saying how much better I look on the outside but I don't feel that great on the inside.

I guess it has only been 5 weeks?

Joleigh36.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm assuming you are seeing a doctor as you say you are awaiting brain scan results, if not you should probably see one if you feel the symptoms are out of the ordinary.

Having said that, you abused your body for 7 years so it's not going to magically bounce back to "normal" after just a few weeks. Things do get better but it takes time for your body to heal.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It took a long, long time for me to fully recover. For at least the first year I was tired and sad and had a terrible headache. Probably another six months or so until I started to even begin to feel a little bit like myself.

But I am feeling great now!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Time takes time--I did not feel right for a long time. I was told that it takes about a year to clear all the alcohol induced side effects from injecting a poison into my body. If you are really concerned see your Doctor and then go to a meeting.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Yes. That's normal stuff. The first part of withdrawal is brutal but short, the second part is more annoying than painful but also lasts longer usually.

Just be sure to mention these things when you do see a doctor again so they can keep checking you out, as those are part of withdrawal, but could be symptoms of other illnesses too.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

33 days sober here and I find that exercise perks up my mood. If I don't exercise I tend to feel lethargic and unfocused. Trying to read now is harder because I quit smoking, and those went hand in hand. But try to exercise if you can, I think it has kept me sober for this long. Have a good one.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face RE: Side effects of early recovery...

Thanks guys for your responses. And yes it's true that my body & head are not going to return to any kind of 'normal' state after 7 years of self-inflicted abuse! Seems logical really...