Notices

Scared the crap out of myself last night

Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared the crap out of myself last night

I was nine days sober and ended up at an all you can drink fundraiser/party. They were serving all you can drink light beer...I found some bottles of IPAs (my favorite) and started drinking those. I didn't have a bottle opener but I somehow figured out how to pry the bottles open with my wedding ring and a little elbow grease. I must have knocked back five or six of them. Then I woke up and went to the bathroom. Man, I was so pissed in my daze that I had drank, but then midway through my pee I realized that it was just a dream. Funny thing was that when I woke up this morning, I felt a little hungover...like I had actually been drinking.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

I'm hoping these kind of dreams are normal for us. I've been having them as well, and they're scary as heck.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This one was more of a dream. My last attempt a few weeks ago, I had a nightmare. It was me, my daughter and some strange lady in my atrium. She had a bottle of vodka and started screaming at me and then turned into some kind of banshee like in that movie "The Ring". I woke up in a horrible sweat. Freaked the hell out of me. It was weird because I haven't drank vodka in years.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember those! Waking up feeling terrible that I had given in!! Good news is.... they go away... slowly but surely.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My AV slipped into my dream last night in the guise of a young lady and lured me into a bathtub with her after whiskey and fish'n'chips. Then I woke up as she submerged her head and moved toward me. It wasn't a nightmare but I was quite disappointed to wake up! :P
Old 07-01-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I didn't start having them until about a month or so in. I still have them on occasion, but it's always a good feeling to wake up and realize it was just a dream.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I first stopped I would often wake up thinking I had drank the night before. It felt soooo good to not be hungover.
Now that's one of the things I cherish the most - waking up clean! It feels so good.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a huge drinking dream a few weeks back and I have eight years sober now.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow. That is a scary dream for sure. Glad it is not the reality. I have not experienced drinking dreams. I pray that It stays that way. Keep up the good work Crossfit! Your body, heart, mind and soul THANK YOU!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dismember

Drinking dreams! More common than a lot of people may realize, if all the personal stories I've heard from others are to be believed.

I think I had a drinking dream last night. For better or worse I almost never remember dreams.

Stinks you woke up feeling poorly too. Maybe turn it around somehow into a symbol of gratitude...? Celebrate the quasi-hangover for what it isn't?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel that having a drinking dream, and waking up upset is great psychologically.
I get to go through the emotion of succumbing to the idea of drinking, and feeling the remorse and guilt, without really having it screw up what Ive worked to achieve.

I think that these are literally a pressure valve for our feelings about using.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had one drinking dream so far and I am at 33 days. It was scary but I felt kind of relieved that I could experience it and not have to suffer the (real?) consequences. So I think it helped me see drinking in a new way.