Notices

4 th of July Lets stay Sober

Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Going to a meeting and working for a friend/coworker who wants the evening off to take his kids to see the fireworks.
Avoiding crossing the streets, lots of drunk drivers on the 4th.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am hoping to go to some fireworks with hubby so I can use my new camera on them. Otherwise I have no plans as I'm avoiding the usual cookouts. Lots of drinking and people that I just frankly don't feel like being around. I'll be good and sober and glad enough about that
Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'll be BBQing some chicken with hickory chips. I'll be sipping on some Mexican Coke (The soft drink) made with pure can sugar. Yeah, baby! Have a great and sober 4th everyone!
Cheers,
cas
Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Past 4ths I would be oblivious at this moment... Rappidly approaching insanity.

Enjoying some jujyfriuts... Love those little suckers... And relaxing. Dinner out and got some new jeans. Now home.

Going to settle in. Talk later.

K
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Gonna stay sober and work on the chicken coops.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great idea Riky

Hope everyone has a safe happy and sober 4th

D
Old 07-03-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

NA Meeting, close contact with another addict(my hubby) work on 24 club, son in from college, Dad's 82nd birthday, ribs on the grill, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, fireworks and a swim in the pool.

What am I gonna do if I get a temptation? Call my sponsor, get into SR and post a thread I need help NOW!!Talk Me Out Of It!! and think the drink and drug all the way through to the next morning with the guilt shame and remorse.
No Thanks it always ends the same.

Insanity- doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

If I use or drink the results will be the same as they always have been. Guilt, shame, remorse, and a whole lotta bad consequences. Most which will be inside my own head. Mental torture. Nope not gonna happen!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Typically the 4th weekend results in some really random photos of me posted on Facebook. It'll be different this year since I'll remember what was going on.

May have lucked out too... Buddy texted me a bit ago and wanted to know if I wanted to go riding with them late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. Since I'll be the only one sober, that means I'll most likely get to drive his 4-seater RZR (not stock).
Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

When drinking, the 4th would just be another opportunity to isolate and drink all I wanted. Any interruption to that was met with resentment and hostility from me.
This year I made plans during the day to catch a movie with a sister who also has no plans during the day. During the evening I am meeting a friend for dinner. Planning ahead for sobriety is so worth it!!
Have a sober and safe 4th all!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

even tho this link is for thanksgiving I think there's a lot of tips for being prepared and safeguarding ourselves in any social situation.

It's focused towards alcohol but I think anyone here can get something out of it.

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's an All-American thing to do: get drunk on the 4th of July along with your baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet (old tv commercial). Our local fireworks are tonight. My husband is taking my 2 teenage boys out in the boat to watch them. I'm staying home with an eye infection. Plus 10 p.m. is too late for us 40-somethings! LOL. I want to be asleep by then! Tomorrow I'm off of work and I (briefly) thought about cleaning the garage out. Didn't happen last summer either. Then back to work on Friday, ugh! The traffic here near Seattle is a nightmare! Many people are making it a 4-day weekend, completely unfair!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We are just hanging out at home. I'm gonna grill some burgers to serve on my homemade burger buns (YUM) and make a coconut water and watermelon drink I found on Pinterest. I might make some homemade ice cream as well. There will be no alcohol here
Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Tomorrow at 10:00am is our town's annual 4th of July Parade. As usual we'll be there .....except no mimosa's in a big cup. Just remembered I used to do that. All weekend there are festivities here in town. After the parade we bbq with our friends/Neighbors... lots of fun, and it's just next door too. My husband and I will be going to our favorite meeting on Saturday morning ( Big Book Study with Jimmie A....it rocks!). Also, AA-wise we attend a local meeting place that has great BBQ AND a weekend long meetings marathon ! Lots of good food and fellowship. Plus, our weather has cooled to high 80's.....a lovely weekend is my personal forecast... :-D. Bobbi
Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy 4th of July to my American SR pals!
I celebrated a regular old day here in British Columbia (albeit a warm and sunny one) by going to see the new Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy movie "The Heat" with an ole pal I've had since school days. (Corny at times..but plenty of laugh out loud moments.) The movie didn't start until 7:45. In my drinking days, I would've been too buzzed to drive by that time...and it would be moot anyways because I would have no desire to go...would've been just drinking and doin' nothing.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I woke up to 7 cars in the driveway, so that must mean it's going to be a great day. At the very least it means I'll be frying lots of bacon later this morning, we have a house full!

I used to hate having a house guests. It interfered with my dirty little drinking secret. Now I love it, the more the merrier.

The Civic League sponsors a little parade through our neighborhood, and then a cookout on the park today. Mrs. Non can't go because of her busted feet, but I'll probably run down there to get a few pictures. I run the website for the Civic League, and pictures make it fun. (You'd think all those moms would be snapping up some photos,but they never do!)

Happy Independence Day, everyone!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great day all

D
Old 07-04-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

4th of July

Chairing the noon meeting today. I have been racking my brain for a topic then it hit me.....Freedom! Freedom from alcohol and the freedom to make choices. Wishing everyone a great day! Be safe.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Have been doing a nice bit of e-bay browsing and have bought far to much cheap tat .

Mostly bits for the car, all the rubber squishy bits on it are a bit squished .

Always feel a bit guilty being a Brit on independance day but i guess some of my family went there in the 1600's so we probably were on both sides

Much respect to my american friends, family and their country today , m
Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Heading into this beautiful holiday with 31 days sober under my belt, gonna hang out with my crazy vegan mom and not eat the real burgers I'd rather be eating.. Maybe catch some fireworks over a lake in a pontoon boat. Everyone have a happy and sober time!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Today is blah . Mostly fighting off cravings this morning , rereading previous threads I started. The holiday in the middle of the week sucks since I cant go to camp till after work tomorrow. The daughter and kids are doing things with their friends , 30 something crowd with booze and such , not for me. The soon to be X girlfriend left yesterday to be with friends of hers , also not invited. Going to spend today alone , rebuilding myself without drugs.Gonna get to know myself , the drugfree me. Have a great day everyone