Notices

Class of July 2013

Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GymJunkie View Post
I mentioned in my first comment that H and I signed up for Dry July. Here in Australia, it's a fundraiser for adults with cancer. You commit to no alcohol of he month of July, and people sponsor you, with the money going to the charity.
Didn't know about Dry July, will sign up, thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah thanks for reminding me about that GymJunkie

D
Old 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Genie, thanks for sharing. I started this journey thinking that after my Dry July I'll be able to become a 'normal', moderate drinker.

In the back of my mind, I know that's probably not possible.

I need to spend this month focussing on seeing alcohol for what it is- an addictive poison.

It doesn't make me feel better, happier, less stressed or more confident. It simply alleviates the sadness, stress and self loathing that it caused when I drank it last.

Once I stop the cycle, I will focus on the feeling of freedom- no longer allowing alcohol to drag me down so that I need more if it to correct the imbalance.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
yeah thanks for reminding me about that GymJunkie

D
No worries- we've already raised $180!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone. Day 3 for me. I feel physically good, no cravings but I've felt kinda sad all day. I'm not sure why. I had a good day at work, nothing's really wrong. Well in any case, I'm not drinking! Tomorrow we are having some people over for a barbeque. None of them are big drinkers, just a beer or two. I'm not a beer fan so when I refuse, no one will think anything is going on. I've done most of my drinking in private so I don't know if anyone has any idea I'm an alcoholic.

It feels a little weird talking about myself, I don't do it much even with friends. But I'm thinking it might help so thank you all for listening
Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's common to feel a little depressed - it's often just our brain chemistry returning to normal...

D
Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

I'm trying again, after being in the May and June classes. I don't want the life I'm leading.
Blubbie, I get you, no one would have any idea that I'm an alcoholic, for the same reason you mention.

I suppose I have to get beyond the shame i feel about failing since joining this site.

I see some in this group are trying again too, so I don't feel as alone.
I'm off to bed with a hot milk, day 1 is over!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi July class! I wanted to pop in and wish you all well, this is a great thing you've done in signing up with a class, it really keeps you accountable and classmates can help each other by sharing experiences.

When I signed up in March I found the hardest thing about the early days was simply getting through them without drinking. Planning something different to drink that I enjoyed helped, as did taking it easy in the early days and changing what activity I did at the times I routinely drank.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm happy to be starting Day 2.

I think I realized something last night. When I drank on Day 4, it was a really bad, sad, day, and I pushed myself to do something, clean my car, which ended up causing problems, so of course I felt worse, and drank.

Now, I think when I have a really horrible day, in the early days, at least, I'm just going to do the necessities, and not push myself, but do something that is not taxing, ride my bike, go to a movie, take it easy on myself.

I think I've sort of become "addicted" to self-loathing in the last number of years. Not having a career, a structure to my life has fuelled this, and just fuels the drinking.
We all deserve to have dignity, and self-respect. I know I've lost sight of mine.
I hope I can get it back.

Happy 4th of July to my US class-mates!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Have spent the past few days reading alot on here and watching movies. Watched 'Rain in my heart' on youtube this morning, a documentary about alcoholism. Really sad. I highly recommend it as a motivator. Very scary too though, at times I nearly switched it off but I stuck with it. HOpe i haven't done myself any lasting damage...
Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TempeBrenn View Post
I'm from the June class and am here to support all of you who join in July. Joining the June class was the best thing I ever did for myself. Keeps me accountable and sober. You will find a multitude of experience and strength, so keep posting and reading. Blessings and strength to all of you.
I am too from June (30th ) so in effect I only just missed July by one day!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Struggling a little not so much cravings at the moment just finding a mindset to believe I can do this and will be happier for it.

Scared of drinking scared of not drinking.

I am with my fellow classmates feeling low at the moment it will get better I know felt great during my sober months last year.

Hope you are all enjoying a lovely sober July 4th.

Take care everyone x
Old 07-04-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'm surprised how quiet this thread is given the date. Perhaps that's the reason. Well i'm an official Yankee Doodle Dandy born on the 4th of July but i'm actually Scottish/Irish and living in Oz with only 1 ever visit to the US and that was NY at New Year...freezing. I spent my birthday reading about life and planning my future. I've convinced myself it's bright, I now just need to action it. Happy 4th July to all the Yankies and happy hello to everyone else.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, lifet, although I guess it's now July 5 in your part of the world!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, lifetplant!

I have to clean the kitchen and bathroom to prepare for guests. I went out early to get food and wasn't tempted to stop at the liquor store. I looked at them and rolled my eyes, I don't know why but that was my reaction.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Forabetterlife QuoteIt’s funny but holidays like the Fourth of July do not equate to drinking for me much. Guess because holiday drinking is usually social, and social drinking is a whole different ball game for me. In front of people, I can drink “normally”..pace myself or even stop or abstain if I need to . Its’ when I’m alone, and no one knows but me how much I’m drinking that I lose all control. Like most of you, I am just sick of it. I’ve read the expression “take drinking off the table”, and that’s the approach I am going to try to take. Drinking very simply is not an option. You have to want to NOT drink more than you want to drink…and I think that’s where I’m at right now. I spent a month, including a 2 week vacation drinking every day. I didn’t even attempt to fight the cravings, I drank when I wanted and how much I wanted. And it really wasn’t all that great. We aren’t missing out by not drinking, we are missing out on life BY drinking.

FBL that resonates so much with me. Everything, the 4th July celebrations, even although it's the day I was born, it's not a public celebration here. However New Years Eve (Hogmanay) in Scotland is massive. It's the one time of year for many many years when I lived there that I didn't really feel like doing much, too many crowds, too cold, too long taxi queues, too many drunk people...ha ha. I used to take pride when people always asked me on Hogmanay why I wasn't drinking (i'd always be designated driver), my answer for years was always the same, "i'll leave this to the amateurs". If only I'd remained an amateur.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Lifeplant happy birthday

I am the same social drinking nobody would think I have a problem it's at home where I do my worse.

Blubble well done on shopping without being tempted.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi Tallia,

I'm the same, drinking alone, no one could imagine this awful, shameful secret.

I just had a telephone intake with a local addiction service agency. There is an orientation group meeting next Thursday, then they determine if you meet the criteria for their services and to see a counsellor.

I attended this agency last year(didnt have to do the orientation meeting) and saw an addiction counsellor, but I wasn't ready to admit that I'm an alcoholic, I and indeed she, thought i could look at moderating. I wasn't honest with her, nor with myself.
I am so ready to be done with this beast!

I may encounter some ppl or staff that know me from my former work, but at this stage, I need all the help i can get. I have to face that I'm inbigtrouble, there's no room for "what will they think of me?" It gives me a heavy heart, but I want to just face this.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday Lifetplant

the 4th is usually pretty quiet here - the 5th & 6th not so much...

Leshar I really identify with being addicted to self loathing...I found a perverse comfort in it - like I could always count on the 'fact' I was crap and my life was screwed.

Totally not a healthy outlook.

I also identify with getting to the point where 'what will they think of me' didn't matter any more - I was gonna die unless I pulled myself up.

D
Old 07-04-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Leshar, you are dead right to not take on any tasks other than the essential ones. Go easy on yourself. Make a start on the self respect you refer to, by being kind to yourself. You deserve that.

Tallis, I know what you mean about being scared to drink, scared not to. I have not had a drink for two weeks, enjoying sleeping better, but tense too. Can't think too far into the future but I have committed to July on here and that means something to me.

I wish all my July buddies well. Will keep posting in