Notices

The shame....

Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The shame....

I laid in bed with my dear daughter tonight and asked her if she prayed to god tonight. She said yes. I told her I did to and thanked him for her and the rest of my family. I said I love you and we just chit chatted. My son came in, and laid with us then, and we all started talking, and I realized at that point, that a lot of my memories from the last 5+ years are hinged on drinking. It's so sad. From painting a bedroom to toddler beds to new pets. What the eff have I created as far as memories for my kids? It creates anxiety for me. But as hard as I did work in the past, and threw it away because I just had to keep trying to be normal, I have found a serenity today in knowing that I just can't do what others do. I cannot drink safely. I am an alcoholic. It doesn't matter what others think of me. It matters what I think of me. It matters how I choose to deal with this cunning and baffling disease. I matter. I haven't lost anything, but time and dignity

My dear son saw my drunken state last night, and he was angry with me. We talked about it this morning and I think we both felt better. Of course I did t want to have to have that conversation, again, but it's all part of the plan. Those are the consequences of my actions. And because of it, I once again can look at recovery through positive eyes. There is no shame in asking for help, the shame for me is in trying to repeatedly show the world that I too can drink like them, and then just proving I am wrong. I may be wrong, but I have today, right now, sober to prove that I can get into recovery, with both feet.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never ever too late to start again FT - you can make new memories and people will remember those ones - the memories of the real you and the warm and loving person and mom you are
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

Congrats on making the decision to get sober. Stick with it. Sobriety is worth it. You are worth it.

It made a huge difference in my life when my mom started getting sober when I was a teenager. I think her choice led me to be sober for most of my adult life. I am so grateful for that!

Good luck to you!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

We can change the future

It is worth it
Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallingtogether View Post
I laid in bed with my dear daughter tonight and asked her if she prayed to god tonight. She said yes. I told her I did to and thanked him for her and the rest of my family. I said I love you and we just chit chatted. My son came in, and laid with us then, and we all started talking, and I realized at that point, that a lot of my memories from the last 5+ years are hinged on drinking. It's so sad. From painting a bedroom to toddler beds to new pets. What the eff have I created as far as memories for my kids? It creates anxiety for me. But as hard as I did work in the past, and threw it away because I just had to keep trying to be normal, I have found a serenity today in knowing that I just can't do what others do. I cannot drink safely. I am an alcoholic. It doesn't matter what others think of me. It matters what I think of me. It matters how I choose to deal with this cunning and baffling disease. I matter. I haven't lost anything, but time and dignity

My dear son saw my drunken state last night, and he was angry with me. We talked about it this morning and I think we both felt better. Of course I did t want to have to have that conversation, again, but it's all part of the plan. Those are the consequences of my actions. And because of it, I once again can look at recovery through positive eyes. There is no shame in asking for help, the shame for me is in trying to repeatedly show the world that I too can drink like them, and then just proving I am wrong. I may be wrong, but I have today, right now, sober to prove that I can get into recovery, with both feet.
Hey FT...you sound just like me...always trying to be a normal drinker...but just can't....I live that every day...I know if I have one after work, everyone else is gonna go home and spend time with their family and go to bed early and go to work the next morning...I, on the other hand, am going to have to grab a six on the way home just for fun...then decide another 6 would be fine...and the next thing I know I am calling in sick...******* alcohol...
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread! One day at a time.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, falling....such a beautiful vignette of you and your kids, lolling about and talking. All power to you. It brought a little tear to my eye, remembering doing the same with my girls (adults, now, and estranged). So it's wonderful that you're doing this NOW.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. It took me too long to accept that I could not drink in safety, try as I might. I needed AA back then to show me the way and still go years later for maintenance. One of the suggestions was to think about NON drinking things like kids, work, honeydos, deep sea diving etc. There are many here also with good helpful plans. BE WELL
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So this morning I was thinking more about alcoholism and hangovers. In my world, the alcoholic hangover consists of minimizing and manipulation. Talking down the night before and plotting ways to drink again to make the pain go away. A normal persons hangover keeps them in bed for a few extra hours and they wouldn't think of drinking again for a couple days or something. I have drank away a hangover in the morning a few times. If that isn't proof, what is? Gosh, it's just ridiculous to think that I still need to work on acceptance..... Yeah, I'm an alcoholic.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallingtogether View Post
So this morning I was thinking more about alcoholism and hangovers. In my world, the alcoholic hangover consists of minimizing and manipulation. Talking down the night before and plotting ways to drink again to make the pain go away. A normal persons hangover keeps them in bed for a few extra hours and they wouldn't think of drinking again for a couple days or something. I have drank away a hangover in the morning a few times. If that isn't proof, what is? Gosh, it's just ridiculous to think that I still need to work on acceptance..... Yeah, I'm an alcoholic.
We have the same hangover cure-minimizing, manipulating and plotting the next drink. I too still have to accept that I am an alcoholic. It is a word I hate. It is the stigma, the label for life. I am an alcoholic and hate it. You sound like you are on your way, I hope I am too. Day 5 for me and I just feel lost. I hope you feel better than me, you sound so positive, you are inspiring. Thank you
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA gave me my God back.

I thought I was an agnostic/atheist but I had just pushed God way to the back as I carried on in my alcoholism. I couldn't have God and my drunken ways too.

I invite God to come with me wherever I go today .. and He does.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A sober parent is a better parent. I decided I didn't want to just be a parent but that I wanted to be a better parent because that is what my son deserves. What are your thoughts are working on your sobriety?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
AA gave me my God back.

I thought I was an agnostic/atheist but I had just pushed God way to the back as I carried on in my alcoholism. I couldn't have God and my drunken ways too.

I invite God to come with me wherever I go today .. and He does.

All the best.

Bob R
Yeah, I recently wondered why I couldn't have god and my drinks ways. I got over that. I prayed all morning, and last night. I feel different. I also spoke to my sponsor. It was a great conversation. She didn't fire me, lol.

One day at a time.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're going to set a wonderful example for your kids now and they are going to be so proud of you! It is so worth it! How old are they? Mine are teenagers and nothing gets by them!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mine are 6 and 11. Best kids in the world, because they still love me and have faith in me!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're feeling a bit better and moving to become strong and sober.

Have faith in yourself!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have faith, first in my higher power. Then in me.