Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

12 days sober but depression and anxiety is hitting me very hard...:-(

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So far I've been doing ok but today I am feeling really miserable. I took my daughter to kindergarten and I completely forgot that they are having a day trip today. In fact I could not remember that at all...I asked the caretaker if they've given out a handout or posted on the board and her shocked response was: "But we've talked about the details last week and you said it it's not a problem picking her up earlier.." Needless to say that she was VERY suprised and I could see the shock on her face.
Honestly, I can't recall having this conversation and I was already a week sober (!!!) when this conversation took place. It scares the hell out of me...

I am already taking some mega doses of vitamin B, multivitamins, milk thristle..
Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your support!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi seashell

I think nothing works as well as time - we really do a number on ourselves drinking - recovering from that takes a little time and may leave us feeling a little woolly.

I wrote a lot of post it notes for a while...

D
Old 07-01-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to write things down in my I phone calendar for reminders. I hate not remember things, but I have been told it gets better. Best Wishes!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tip Dee :-) I just have to get used to the fact that my brain has entered it's "brain fog" sessions...

BUT picking up a bottle of wine has not occured to me at all, as I usually do if I have some stress or a bad day...

For now I am greatful for the 12 sober days and looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Living, I sincerely hope that it gets better! I won't be able to live like this....
I do write important things down but not remembering a 5 minutes dialoge (sober) from the week before?...it really scares me.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seashell, I have been told it gets better and I truly believe it does. My I-Phone went out last week and I had to get a new one. It deleted my Calendar notes (did not download on new phone) and I just realized I have a Dr's appt. today. Oh Well!

Seriously though, having a daily reminder on my I-Phone that alerts me to things is so helpful. Have a great day!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
now's the time

Fish oil is meant to be good for memory: Can Fish Oil Pills Improve Your Memory? - Men's Fitness

It's also just good for the brain in general. I take 3 grams a day (when I remember! )
Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the best thing you can do right now is be gentle with yourself. I know that this is something that I am working on as well. I beat myself up a lot, especially after a wild blackout.

So what you forgot a conversation? People from all different circumstances forget things on a daily basis.

You just quit drinking! That is amazing. Focus on that and be kind to yourself right now.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello seashell,

I was gently reminded at one time during early sobriety that it took me 37 years to develop my habits and beliefs and that most likely it would take another 37 to choose my way out of my choices ;-)

In other words try not to be too hard on yourself and as others have mentioned, post it notes, iPhone alerts whatever it takes but most importantly be easy on yourself.

In regards to your struggle with depression and anxiety do not be afraid to go see your doc or even seek out local support groups.

Have a great day seashell!!

Love,

CS
Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right on with the fish oil! I take a mouthful daily and I definitely notice it when I don't. I read somewhere that it really helps people who suffer brain injury from concussion or stroke. You've got to make sure it's a top quality fish oil which is molecularly distilled and tested for contaminants. I don't know if I'm allowed to post recommendations, but this is what I take:

Nature's Answer, Liquid Omega-3, Deep Sea Fish Oil EPA/DHA, Natural Orange Flavor, 16 fl oz (480 ml) - iHerb.com
Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by seashell2005 View Post
So far I've been doing ok but today I am feeling really miserable. I took my daughter to kindergarten and I completely forgot that they are having a day trip today. In fact I could not remember that at all...I asked the caretaker if they've given out a handout or posted on the board and her shocked response was: "But we've talked about the details last week and you said it it's not a problem picking her up earlier.." Needless to say that she was VERY suprised and I could see the shock on her face.
Honestly, I can't recall having this conversation and I was already a week sober (!!!) when this conversation took place. It scares the hell out of me...

I am already taking some mega doses of vitamin B, multivitamins, milk thristle..
Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your support!
Dont be embarrassed, these things happen............especially to us alcoholics in recovery. I still have things like this happen to me and I am 2 years sober. Its all part of withdrawal, and then PAWS kicks in. Its not that bad, not as bad as drinking and waking up realizing you shaved your head and there is hair all over the bathroom, and you had danced on the bar the night before (true story).
Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I find exercise to be a big part of getting rid of anxiety and depression in my sobriety. Any time I get a feeling of depression or lethargy (key time when my AV shows up), I go for a run. You can start by walking if this interests you. Eating fruit and vegetables also help.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I've ordered fish oil from Amazon and started doing some long power walks. It's just a beginning but my mood has been already lifted a bit.

@Nighthawk8820 - Back in my old drinking days I gave a pixie hair cut my best friend during a vodka & orange binge (I was only supposed to trim her long hair) ...THAT she hasn't forgiven me since! Oh the good old drinking days..Do I miss that? NOOO.