Notices

First meeting

Old 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First meeting

Hello everyone,

I am 25 and have struggled with addiction for a very long time. I have had injuries in the past that have required me to take prescription medication for pain. At first I used them as directed, but eventually I was taking more and stronger things to make the pain go away. I understand the medications aren't meant to completely remove pain but elevate enough of it to function in life. Yet, that does not stop me from doubling up doses or adding other medications to potentiate the effects. As of now I no longer use pain medication and I get a long fine without it to an extent. I do however feel the need to over medicate anytime I take something and this is the problem. I cannot manage my medication intake anymore and that scares me as well as my loved ones. It has affected many aspects of my life and I can no longer allow that. I have an addictive personality and have always fought with it my entire life. Now I am seeking help for the first time.

But, there is a problem. I am an introvert of the highest degree. I am not completely open with anyone even the woman I intend to marry next year, though she knows more than anyone. I have always dealt with my problems inwardly and have succeeded mostly except for this. I have to force myself to enter social settings and appear to get along fine. I have a good sense of humor and extensive knowledge of various topics which can get me through encounters without anyone knowing my inner turmoil. This shows my other problem, I will not and can not allow people to see weakness or failure. So going to an environment that will make me vulnerable is close to impossible.

These problems are something I've lived with all my life. Addiction and abuse of drugs has increased them, made it harder to interact with others, and left me emotionally detached to everything. When I do feel its supercharged to a level most people never do. Except anger which I've never had a problem with, and have a very high amount of patience. I understand and recognize everything addiction has done and is doing to my life. This does nothing for my self control.

Members, I would like to ask you to tell me what to expect at this newcomer meeting. What should I do when first walking in. How early should I get there. Do I need to bring anything? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and I apologize for the length
Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR
Here is an outside link on what to expect at your first AA meeting Your First AA Meeting. Understandably, You Want to Know What to Expect.
NA is basically the same except that they hug a LOT. I'm a huger so it does not bother me but just letting you know
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

expect to find out your not unique in being an introvert of the highest degree and finding others just like to that will help you solve your problems.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jester You found a great place that I think will really help you.

I can relate to being an introvert. I was so shy & self-conscious that alcohol seemed the perfect answer. At first I'd just take the edge off my feelings with it. I had no idea that over time I'd end up totally dependent on it. In the end, it actually made me more introverted and anxious about everything. I isolated myself from everyone just so I could get numb in privacy. No way to live.

Others will be able to give advice on your first meeting & what to expect. I don't attend AA meetings. I'm glad you're going and hope you'll report back on how it went - and how you're doing in general. We care.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I see that Carlotta provided a good link - thank you!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think you'll find that the people there are friendly and helpful and very welcoming.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. I too am very anti-social/shy, and I haven't yet attended an AA meeting. I have some issues with not only the fellowship, anxiety-inducing part of it but also the religiosity and basis of the 12 Steps themselves. That's not to say I won't check it out at some point (I won't discount it entirely), but I'm definitely sure it's not for everyone.

That said, it's worth a shot and I'll take my own advice and go at some point. You may find it will be very rewarding and from what I understand there's no pressure to talk. Just go and listen, be a fly on the wall.. and REPORT BACK because I'm interested.
Take care.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bring a dollar and tell the greeter at the door that you are new. Everything else will fall into place.

Don't give the dollar to the greeter, they will pass a basket during the meeting ...

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-30-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

If you don't have a dollar, don't sweat it. We need you more than we need that stupid dollar (just don't tell my group treasurer I said that LOL).