Notices

Enjoying sobriety...well 8 days of it at least

Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enjoying sobriety...well 8 days of it at least

I'm eight days sober. Last night we went to the supermarket. I won't lie, I felt a pang of craving when I went by the beer aisle. However I was able to recognize it as my AV. I put him in his place. I woke up this morning at 7:00, took my 1.5 yr old for a walk and cooked breakfast. Off to mass in about an hour. None of this would have been pleasant or possible if I'd have had a sixer last night. I love sobriety...I'm 37, but I think I'm gonna buy a skateboard with the money I'm saving, haha.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Aren't Saturday and Sunday mornings great now?!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a good plan!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Good idea! My husband is 38 and still skates.

That beer isle...grrrr. I walk past it and don't look at it.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Awesome! You've every reason to celebrate and sounds like you're enjoying the new freedom.

The beer aisle still grabs at my attention now and again. Can't shut off the AV sometimes but all that matters is how you deal with it. Sounds like you TKO'd that round.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

8 days here too, but not enjoying sobriety; what the hell, it's a challenge.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Crossfitdad, 8 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Originally Posted by cheapredwino View Post
8 days here too, but not enjoying sobriety; what the hell, it's a challenge.
I didn't enjoy it much the first two weeks. I'm on day 17 and the past few days have been great. Hang in there, it does get better!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
I'm eight days sober. Last night we went to the supermarket. I won't lie, I felt a pang of craving when I went by the beer aisle. However I was able to recognize it as my AV. I put him in his place. I woke up this morning at 7:00, took my 1.5 yr old for a walk and cooked breakfast. Off to mass in about an hour. None of this would have been pleasant or possible if I'd have had a sixer last night. I love sobriety...I'm 37, but I think I'm gonna buy a skateboard with the money I'm saving, haha.
I love waking up on a Sunday morning and realizing how I used to wake up, and that I dont live like that anymore. I am getting so much more out of life. Congrats on your sobriety!!! Hold your head high and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It really does keep on getting better. Whether it's 2 days or 2 months, it does get easier and the triggers subside as time goes on. Just keep on going forward, one minute, one hour, one day at a time.

Good for you for recognizing the positives!! I've noticed there are things to add to the bucket list as you get sober. Drinking doesn't support thinking ahead to things you've always wanted to do.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
It really does keep on getting better. Whether it's 2 days or 2 months, it does get easier and the triggers subside as time goes on. Just keep on going forward, one minute, one hour, one day at a time.

Good for you for recognizing the positives!! I've noticed there are things to add to the bucket list as you get sober. Drinking doesn't support thinking ahead to things you've always wanted to do.
I agree with taking it minute by minute, quite literally! If I think about "forever" I get totally overwhelmed, believe it isn't possible, and then it always leads to walking to get more wine. But if I enjoy right NOW, and take pride in being sober right now, it is much easier to carry on in the next moment, sober.