Notices

aa alone vs rehab and aa

Old 06-29-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

aa alone vs rehab and aa

love to hear people's thoughts on this aa alone or going to out patients rehab then going to aa.

I've been before fallen very severely and don't know if aa will give me what I need.

What do others think from experience.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

My best friend (both while using and in recovery) for 40 years went to rehab, then AA, and now has 29 years clean/sober. I went to AA (no rehab), and now have 27 years clean/sober.

I don't believe either one of us was 'given' anything (we worked for what we got)..........well, except the opportunity to be clean/sober, which we both took.

My suggestion to you, as it would be to anyone, is to do 'whatever' it takes.....inpatient; outpatient; individual and/or group therapy; AA; NA; anything; everything; just reach out, grab on, and ride...........................

(o:
NoelleR
Old 06-30-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good advice from NoelleR! It all depends on the situation. Rehab is expensive.Insurance may help but rates may increase. Rehab shuts off the supply of booze in the critical first month or so of recovery and provides medical help for detox. But the period after rehab is equally risky and often requires close monitoring and follow up. Some folks get by with outpatient care along with medically supervised detox. AA meetings are helpful to some, raise problems for others. Rational Recovery is an option (see Secular Connections forum on this SR site). Good luck.

W.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I've been to rehabs several times--about 4. Kept drinking ten more years after the last time in.

Those 12 steps saved my life 2 years ago. I am not going to find out if I have another drunk or recovery in me, I'll stick to my current on-going recovery.

Did rehab help? Not sure, but I have a wealth of information about alcoholism and addiction!

Did AA help? Yeah, this time in I was totally desperate and hopeless.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post

Did AA help? Yeah, this time in I was totally desperate and hopeless.
that's what it takes for many

I had deceived myself so many times

I didn't even want to look into the mirror

sick and tired of that guy
Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. In order to plug the jug I needed to get honest with myself and admit I cannot drink in safety. I went to a rehab once and wasn't honest so drank shortly afterwards. Fortunately AA people said KEEP COMING and finally I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and followed the DIRECTIONS of people that were sober and became very active for many years. It's a WE program that works IF WE work it. I'm not saying that all is peaches and cream, life happens weather we drink or not, after 30+ years it's mostly ++++++++. BE WELL
Old 06-30-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just came back from an aa meeting I found a small piece of hope there tonight.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope is a wonderful thing! I am glad you reached out for help
Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I went to IOP and then AA. IOP is a good thing to get you sober AA is absolutely essential to keep you sober. I'm at almost 4 years clean and sober so something is working. I go to meetings 4 to 5 days a week and I do not see that schedule changing because I want to die sober