Notices

The "I'll just have one" moment

Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The "I'll just have one" moment

First a movie quote to set the tone:

"It's a TRAP!"

- Admiral Ackbar, Star Wars

I, like many, have had an unbroken string of sober days interrupted by drinking with "good intentions", let's call them. These are the, "well, I can just have one", or the, "I made it two months, I can handle it", or the, "I made it a full year, I deserve just one to celebrate, then I'll stop" moments. I don't know if it's because I'm feeling good for awhile, or just get comfortable, or because I'm not thinking about booze on a daily basis and I just forget.

Today, I wrote down a list of all the really bad stuff in my life that I can attribute to my alcohol problems: very-screwed-up individual events, huge regrets that will haunt me for the rest of my life, failed relationships -- and tucked it away in my wallet. My hope is, next time an opportunity to "just have one" arises I'll get that light bulb on above my head, pull out my list and give it a read.

If it comes in handy sometime down the line, I'll come back and post

(probably not a good idea to do this if other people regularly go digging in your wallet..)
Old 06-29-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a great idea! I've been sober many times - one year, two years, and it's always "it's a special occasion!" "it's vacation and i'll never be at this (brewery/winery) again!)... and I'll just have one.... or even just a 1/2 of one.

And 8 months later, one has turned into 5 a day and worse on Saturday.

I'm going to do this.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very good suggestion. Those drinking with 'good intentions' times were almost the death of me. It was never 'one' - not ever. Always the whole bottle, then off to the store for another bottle. I'm so glad those days are behind us.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Same here. Never just one. Why bother with just one?

It's better and easier for me to just not drink any.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
First a movie quote to set the tone:

"It's a TRAP!"

- Admiral Ackbar, Star Wars

I, like many, have had an unbroken string of sober days interrupted by drinking with "good intentions", let's call them. These are the, "well, I can just have one", or the, "I made it two months, I can handle it", or the, "I made it a full year, I deserve just one to celebrate, then I'll stop" moments. I don't know if it's because I'm feeling good for awhile, or just get comfortable, or because I'm not thinking about booze on a daily basis and I just forget.

Today, I wrote down a list of all the really bad stuff in my life that I can attribute to my alcohol problems: very-screwed-up individual events, huge regrets that will haunt me for the rest of my life, failed relationships -- and tucked it away in my wallet. My hope is, next time an opportunity to "just have one" arises I'll get that light bulb on above my head, pull out my list and give it a read.

If it comes in handy sometime down the line, I'll come back and post

(probably not a good idea to do this if other people regularly go digging in your wallet..)
I think everyone has to fall prey to the "I can have just one" situation so they can fully come to terms with the fact that NO THEY CANT. You can tell people they cant do it all you want, but I think they need to figure it out for themselves to really grow and grasp the situation they are in. Lord knows I tried it, but alas..........I was no exception to the rule.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, if this idea cuts down on the 'school of hard knocks' lessons for even one person out there, maybe a good thing. A relapse for me usually means 3-4 months probably before I get bad enough to come back to the wagon, and you can do a lot of damage in three months.. I know what you mean though, I've done it twice now, think this second one learned me..

I was thinking too, it also could just be a letter to yourself, just explaining that "just one" is a bad idea and bullet-pointing reasons you quit in the first place, doesn't need to be a big depressing list (my list was depressing, lol). It's just sometimes you're in a spot where there's peer or societal pressure to join in and it's good to have a voice of knowledge and reason telling you the other side of the issue, even if it's just a note from "past you" to "future you".

(just wanted to add that idea)

good night
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Feeling good is a dangerous place.

I agree with Least. I never wanted "just one" or to drink in "moderation". I drank to get a buzz. I think it helps to face up to that. I accept I am "powerless" over this tendency or way of being. It is the way I am built. Feeding that tendency makes it worse. Coming to SR everyday and participating in the conversation has been enough to remind me.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
now's the time

Thanks, I like this idea. I think maybe I'll flip it around and have a list of the goals that I want to accomplish that drinking would interfere with.

Not because I'm a Pollyanna, but because I'm one of those paranoid people who is afraid I'll get hit by a bus and I'd rather my rescuers find a list of my dreams than of all the worst things I've done!!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Thanks, I like this idea. I think maybe I'll flip it around and have a list of the goals that I want to accomplish that drinking would interfere with.

Not because I'm a Pollyanna, but because I'm one of those paranoid people who is afraid I'll get hit by a bus and I'd rather my rescuers find a list of my dreams than of all the worst things I've done!!
That's funny you say that, I thought about that, too, so I wrote CONFIDENTIAL on mine, but that probably will just make someone curious
Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
now's the time

Haha! Glad I'm not the only paranoid one.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too relate with Least's comments about the "just one". If someone waved a magic wand and said "there you are...you can have just one every day for the rest of your life"..after one you will want to stop. Happy?

I'd probably quizzically scratch my head and say "I can stop after one? Well then, no real point in that..thanks anyway Tinkerbell".
Old 06-30-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Having just one was mental torture for me.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah. Out of the last 20 years of drinking, The last 10 or so, I've known that one or even moderation at all, is an impossibility. With me, one drink WILL lead to a blackout. So, when I have "gone off the wagon" in the recent past, as soon as I have that first drink I just think to myself "welp, get ready to do something stupid tonight and be hung over for the next 2-3 days.

Binge drinking is the worst thing ever. Moderation would be awesome, but unfortunately for many of us, it is simply not possible. I know for a fact that I am one of those people.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good interesting idea. For this alky a drink immediately gave me the vision in my sick head of a quart or 2 liter bottle. Thirty years later I still need to be aware of the word moderation in all our affairs, even potato chipS and ice cream etc. BE WELL
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was doing really well in 2012 regarding alcohol. Seven months with only one night of remembering tequila (at 5-1/2 months).

Then, at a singles mixer, I sipped on the beer of the guy I had a major crush on .

I had won a large bottle of flavored rum in a raffle at a previous singles mixer, which I kept in the garage, instead of giving it away (like I did the two previous bottles of wine I had won at even earlier mixers).

Of course, when the crush didn't turn out like I wanted, I drank the feelings away with the rum, all in one night. Back to the alcoholic struggle.

Day Ten today.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Great quote.

I am one of those who did drink one drink or two. Quite frequently actually. And I enjoyed it. I used to come home from work and crack a beer and sometimes the second half of it would be there at room temperature in the morning. So in that area I dont relate to folks who say they only drank to get drunk.

The problem is the one or two I had made me continue to have one or two pretty much daily. And it made me feel like I had control. The big problems usually came when I was feeling good. And I would just drink my fill and get obliterated. Then the blackout trouble, hangovers and all the negative aspects of drinking.

It is so easy for me to forget the bad nights and reasons I quit. Because I know I can go drink one or two and enjoy it right now. But then what?

I always say to myself it is the first drink that gets me drunk. The first drink might not get me drunk today. But it will in due time that is for sure.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
oak

I love the idea of a list of regrets or of goals. I had not been tempted for a while, but the 'just one or two' makes too much sense to me this week. (The irrational thought right now is- I could have two every morning, then maybe two later in the day, then two later, etc. See! Never more than two!)

Fallow- I can relate to what you wrote. I also could have one or two at times (and feel totally done for the day). Other times, one or two was definitely not enough or I would be angry about stopping. But overall, alcohol was a huge problem for me. (I love your 'grasping new soil' line. That is great imagery.)