Notices

Chasing The Natural Buzz

Old 06-29-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Chasing The Natural Buzz

Spin off from WalkingWithGod's thread which is an interesting one...

What do you do now that you've quit to "catch a buzz"? What makes you feel euphoric without chemicals? What brings you the most happiness and laughs sober?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Running gives me the best buzz. After a good, long run I've got a mild euphoria that lasts for like an hour. Completely guilt-free too!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Strangely enough it's talking to other people that are in the same position as me and also listening to long timers. Good, hot cup of coffee in hand.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

For me, i get a feeling of pleasure from going to meetings and seeing familiar faces. I get lost in books and enjoy a few TV shows. I try not to chase a buzz because i will get preoccupied with it. I let things come to me. Of course, right now i'm in the middle of a 2 week long music festival that i bike 4 miles to so i'm kinda overloaded with good times! But when it's all done, i try to maintain a balance of peace and pleasure in my life. I don't HAVE to chase a buzz because i'm not running to or from anything anymore.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Long walks, running, and swimming. Pushing myself to get in better shape everyday helps me stay motivated and patient. Also listening to classical and jazz gets me toasted in a natural way.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Spin off from WalkingWithGod's thread which is an interesting one...

What do you do now that you've quit to "catch a buzz"? What makes you feel euphoric without chemicals? What brings you the most happiness and laughs sober?
The high of getting sober finally and being free has stuck with me, and even when I feel like I am in a rut, something miraculous happens to snap me back into feeling lucky, grateful, and inspired by everything around me.

I also work out like a mad man, as well as clean my car. Something about a freshly waxed car in the sunshine hits my dopamine receptors like a mack truck.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
For me, i get a feeling of pleasure from going to meetings and seeing familiar faces. I get lost in books and enjoy a few TV shows. I try not to chase a buzz because i will get preoccupied with it. I let things come to me. Of course, right now i'm in the middle of a 2 week long music festival that i bike 4 miles to so i'm kinda overloaded with good times! But when it's all done, i try to maintain a balance of peace and pleasure in my life. I don't HAVE to chase a buzz because i'm not running to or from anything anymore.
I LOVED this quote at the ending of your post. " I don't HAVE to chase a buzz because i'm not running to or from anything anymore." Very well said!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Music.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I love lifting weights. =)

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
I don't HAVE to chase a buzz because i'm not running to or from anything anymore.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Music, running, the beach, learning anything new, conquering something hard, thrift shopping, making stuff/creating, new shoes, doing things that scare me...I really am one of those dorky "high on life" people.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ah, let's see, natural pleasures...

Exercise is a big one - my doctor once told me that our bodies are made to move and I'm one of those people that gets a backlog of tension and anxiety without it.

Connection to friends and family - this one got lost for a long time in the wake of drinking and pills. Humans are hard-wired to want and need connection and, much as I hated that when I was such a loner, I'm able to embrace connection more and more, now.

Mindfulness, living in the present - I've heard that "yesterday is a memory, tomorrow is a fantasy; all we really have is now". When I can be present to my experience, I find a place of rest somehow.

Humor - always a great way to get those eudonic rewards going, especially when it's in combination with connection with friends/family.

Spirituality - connection to something eternal and feeling 'part of it all'

And then some specifics...hiking with the dog, watching the sunrise over the mountains as the sunlight begins to slant over the prairie, full moons (just had a supermoon!), fall colors and that first bite of cooler weather, snow crunching underfoot in a silent forest, playing cards and cheating to help my MIL win a game, helping someone who's going through a rough time, showing compassion when it'd be easier not to, learning new concepts and getting that "ah ha!" feeling as it falls into place...

Thanks for the thread - just listing all these things has given me a boost.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Eating barbecued ribs (and brisket too)!

And baby backs were on sale for half price at the market today so I got a slab

I want my babybackbabybackbabybackbabyback . .
Old 06-29-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Wow-some fabulous answers already! It is an upper just reading the responses.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Music played very loudly.

Cuddling my daughter while we curl up and watch a horror DVD together.

Playing a game of badminton, me and my H against our kids who delight in beating us into the ground!

Walking along the beach when it's a wild and windy day and I can hardly catch my breath.

Having a BBQ with friends.

Laughing. Proper chuckling that makes my stomach hurt.

These are my highs now, and they're all a hell of a lot better than anything I felt when I was drinking. X
Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The feeling after a run, music, being with my husband, accomplishing things throughout the day (tasks, chores, writing etc), doing something I'm afraid of and getting through it... That's a big one! Also, laughter.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My sobriety is just in its infancy..and you know, I keep getting "little highs" when I realize I am enjoying an occasion or a moment WITHOUT the buzz. I don't know if I'm still on some kind of "quit high" as I'm just shy of 4 full weeks, but it's wonderful to realize that I actually do enjoy things sober. I think I thought I wasn't capable..because I was knocking back a little wine before and with everything in my leisure time. I'm noticing little things, simple things and important things..with appreciation. It's really quite wonderful
Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful

Ha Nuudawn, I was going to post "just being sober" earlier but I couldn't think of an eloquent way to state it. You did it for me.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

When i saw this i first thought of Thitch Nhat Han and thought to myself, i try not to chase any buzzes because of their transitory nature.

I think that would be disingenuous of me though, i prefer to stay in the shallow end of desire as i'm sure i could get lost in the storm otherwise .

H D Thoreau said;
"I would fain keep sober always... I believe that water is the only drink for a wise man; wine is not so noble a liquor... Of all ebriosity, who does not prefer to be intoxicated by the air he breathes?"

So what i mean to say is that i'm wary of chasing anything, those things that i do persue i try not to be attached to . i'd rather a life of lots of small achieveable pleasures than one big hit of bliss .

Bestwishes, m
Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Looking forwrad to the natural buzz

Hi really interesting thread. I am very new so I cant really comment on what gives me the buzz. This is what I'm most afraid off, not getting the buzz anymore as I really like the buzz of the first couple of drinks, but as we know it doesn't stop there, not with me anyway , I am feeling fresh after 2 nights of no drink, this is a nice feeling, I wish I could put that in a bottle and drink it . I need to find something else to occupy my thoughts and get active

Last edited by aw58; 06-30-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
And baby backs were on sale for half price at the market today so I got a slab
hey, same here! i stuck em in the freezer for later this week. yum yum!