Notices

Giving these boards a shot

Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving these boards a shot

My love hate relationship with alcohol is a 15 yr story I am going to try to condense. I started drinking to cover the pain and depression from being raped by a classmate at 16.

My drinking went from zero, to drinking until sloppy drunk or blacking out every time. Drinking lead to other drugs and by 22 I gave up both cold turkey and made work and school a crutch. Sounds great right? I graduated college with honors and my career accelerated. I have a good husband, 2 year old, good job, white picket fence and 3 degrees.

Then a few months ago after not touching a drop for 8 years I started socially drinking, that turned into hiding bottles in my house and telling my husband I was working late (when really I would down a couple at the local bar on my way home).

Feeling like I have a lot more to lose now than I did in my 20's I decided to see a therapist. I quit drinking for the first few weeks of therapy and now she does not ask me about it. She just focuses on the rape. My therapist has been trying to get me to work through the rape which is so damn painful I am drinking again. I feel like it's a big circle of pain.

I pretend to have it together for everyone that I hid my drinking from my husband and my therapist. I plan to come clean with my therapist at my next appointment but she has suggested in patient therapy before which I quickly disregarded. I am wondering if this may be best for me at this time but that would mean telling my very conservative husband about my drinking.

Day 1 all over again and I just feel like there is so much to lose.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lexica

I know you'll find support and understanding here - and a few ideas too

D
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Lexica. I think you'll find it very helpful to be with here with those who understand. I felt so much better being open about what alcohol had done to my life - no one else understood the way my friends here did.

I was sober for 3 years once. I decided to have 'a glass' of wine. The glass turned into a bottle. Soon I was drinking every day. I went back to it - worse than ever - and it was a 7 year nightmare. It doesn't do a thing to ease our pain or make anything more tolerable. I'm glad you're realizing that and want it out of your life. We're glad to have you here.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It doesn't do a thing to ease our pain or make anything more tolerable. I'm glad you're realizing that and want it out of your life.
I do want it out but I don't want the yo yo effect either. I know 8 yrs is a long time compared to some but I don't want to be back here in 8 yrs again. Then what would be the point. You know what I mean ?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Lexica View Post
My love hate relationship with alcohol is a 15 yr story I am going to try to condense. I started drinking to cover the pain and depression from being raped by a classmate at 16.

My drinking went from zero, to drinking until sloppy drunk or blacking out every time. Drinking lead to other drugs and by 22 I gave up both cold turkey and made work and school a crutch. Sounds great right? I graduated college with honors and my career accelerated. I have a good husband, 2 year old, good job, white picket fence and 3 degrees.

Then a few months ago after not touching a drop for 8 years I started socially drinking, that turned into hiding bottles in my house and telling my husband I was working late (when really I would down a couple at the local bar on my way home).

Feeling like I have a lot more to lose now than I did in my 20's I decided to see a therapist. I quit drinking for the first few weeks of therapy and now she does not ask me about it. She just focuses on the rape. My therapist has been trying to get me to work through the rape which is so damn painful I am drinking again. I feel like it's a big circle of pain.

I pretend to have it together for everyone that I hid my drinking from my husband and my therapist. I plan to come clean with my therapist at my next appointment but she has suggested in patient therapy before which I quickly disregarded. I am wondering if this may be best for me at this time but that would mean telling my very conservative husband about my drinking.

Day 1 all over again and I just feel like there is so much to lose.
There is a TON to lose!! Its excellent you recognize your in trouble and are taking steps to improve the situation. You can fix all this and get back on the wagon, but always remember how easy it was to fall back into old addictive habits, so next time you wont think you can drink socially. Best of luck. You will NEVER get to a point in your life where you will be able to control alcohol on any level. You are an addict, so drinking is just not an option. Once you take Drinking off the table and accept that it will never be something you can do, then it makes the whole process of sobriety easier.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820
You will NEVER get to a point in your life where you will be able to control alcohol on any level. You are an addict, so drinking is just not an option.
Although I know this is true, this makes me so very angry.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. We're here to listen and support you.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry for your struggles. It is very unfair and wrong to have to deal with that at 16 or any age. I am glad you are seeking help and please know that you are always welcome here.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope you find support and love here on SR. Be strong and I am glad you are here.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Lexica and welcome.

Has your therapist mentioned EMDR at all to work through the trauma of the rape? It is often used for trauma resolution. I applaud your resolution and self-awareness, catching this thing before you slide down that slippery slope.

I was sober 14 years once, so I relate to what you're saying. When I was trying to get sober and deal with some of the deep issues of trauma that made up, in part, the psychological issues of my drinking, I did go into an in-patient setting. It was a relief to not have to strain to uphold all the normal adult activities and do such intensive work. For me, it was a good thing. Maybe a good question to ask is: can I do both at the same time?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Lexica View Post
Although I know this is true, this makes me so very angry.
So be angry about it, process it, and work through it. Alcohol numbs you, so its best you learn to deal with these emotions right away, as there will be a ton. You can manage them though, and they arent as scary as you might think.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DylanS View Post
Hi Lexica and welcome.

Has your therapist mentioned EMDR at all to work through the trauma of the rape?

Maybe a good question to ask is: can I do both at the same time?
No she hasn't but I googled it after you asked and she has been asking for me to develop other coping mechanisms which I see is the beginning part of EMDR so maybe that is where she is going.

I am starting to think that these maybe two things in my life that I can't do at once. It is really hard for me to accept that kind of defeat. I pride myself on being the person who can do/handle every/any thing.