Notices

Day 1. Again.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome, Rect! As to reminding people about your alcoholism...i've found that it's easier to remind people by turning down drinks or always having my own safe drink on hand. When i try to remind people, it often seems to make them uncomfortable and it makes me feel alienated. For me, refusing alcohol is a BIG DEAL. For the people around me, well, they don't seem to notice. That or they realize what's up and are quite sorry about the offer. I don't mind when people offer me drinks because it reminds me that i am not defined by my alcoholism. They think of me as" normal" and i like that. It's up to me to remind myself that i'm an alcoholic, not the people around me. I can't make the people around me do what i want to support my recovery. All i can do is conduct myself as an alcoholic in recovery and hope it influences the people around me to support me. Basically, the person i need to change the most to support my sobriety is myself.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"I have one drink, and then I have as many drinks as it takes to get to the point where I blackout. I do that enough times, I recognize that I have a problem. I get a little clean time in me, and think I'm ready to get back in the saddle with this "responsible drinking" thing. "

I can relate completely. I am going through my, I don't know, 10th time quitting in 10 years. 2 were lazy AA attempts and the rest were on my own. The most I have made it is 3 months.

I am committed to going to AA every day now at least 30 in 30 and then hopefully 90 in 90. I am only 5 days sober and 3 days into my AA commitment but it feels good and promising.

I hate this disease. But there are so many examples of people that can beat it here. It gives me great hope.

This is an amazing place. I am hopeful for myself and many others. Welcome. Post often. Don't forget, you are not alone. My drinking battle is very much like yours.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Rect8532

I'm glad that you came here today. I have also tried the "1001 ways to drink but this time it's going to work" game. I'm on day 33 of my 4th time committing myself to doing this.

You're in a great place here. I stumbled upon this place today and can't be more thankful. Saturdays are a bad day for me and the people here are the reason that I was able to stay away from going back.

Looking forward to hearing from you more.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

90 in 90 sounds awesome and getting a sponsor, as you know, is always helpful. I applaud you for getting up and dusting yourself off! Rock on. Keep is posted on your progress.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
BrightFuture74

Welcome, Rect,

God aren't work functions the worst? That little voice that whispers that a couple drinks won't matter, hell everyone else is doing it. Or a lovely dinner with your spouse. A glass of wine that hits the spot. But it never ends with the work function or the nice dinner.

Once, I found myself passed out on the floor of a friend's house with my 4 and 6 year old jumping on my back trying to wake me up, and getting into a fistfight with my best friend over something I can't remember. All in front of my kids.

You are clearly an intelligent, thoughtful person. You can do this.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone for the words of encouragement. The resentment from last night has created full day's worth of knots in my stomach, but you guys are giving me hope.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello my name Mike, I'm an addict
Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful

Thanks for sharing Rect!

I need to keep the pain from my active drinking fresh in my mind so I do not forget who I really am. I go to AA and come here so I will get that constant reminder of where alcohol will take me if I pick up that first drink. I also know from my past research that if I stop treating my alcoholism I will forget who I really am. I've been there and done that twice after multiple years sober. I'm glad you made it back, hopefully we can write a happy ending to our stories.