Notices

Dont know what to do

Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Dont know what to do

My husband got out of rehab for alcohol yesterday and started drinking hours later(he checked himself in). We had been separated for a year bc of his drinking and I thought that him getting that help was gonna make our lives better. So I put my heart back on the line and it feels like he stopped on it. I feel stupid and like it was all a joke. I dont know what to do. Im so sad and heartbroken. I really believed he was getting better.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe you need to love yourself too..............or love yourself more?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Check out our Friends and Family section here-I'm sure someone has gone through this before and might have some helpful words for you. I'm sorry it worked out this way. It may take him several tries before he really will be able to stop.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR. Definitely check out the friends and family section. You might also want to check out Al Anon and see if there are meetings in your area. It saved my sanity. Remember, you did not cause his alcoholism, you cannot control it and you cannot cure it but if you take care of number 1 (you), you can find balance and contentment and not let other people's craziness affect you.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi holam26 and welcome to SR. Sorry to hear about your husband. I watched my parents go down this same road for a long time with my dad and his drinking. If I may ask is there any type of activities that the two of you can do together to take his mind off the drinking? Is there something in his life that is causing him to keep drinking that can be changed? While my dad still drinks he has toned it down quite a bit, it took the threat of my mom cutting him out of her life forever to knock some sense into him.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your husband sounds like me after my first stint in rehab. I went straight to the store and got a bottle of wine. My daughter caught me and gave me hell. It took me many more tries before I truly "got it".

I'd suggest looking at the friends and family forum and also AlAnon for support for yourself. You need it right now.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-30-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

..we do like to fish. I left for over a year. starting talking again when he went to rehab. I cant do this forever. To the people that replied,,Thank You
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If he doesnt go back to work soon, we will lose our home. Time off of work bc he went to rehab
Old 06-30-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your situation holam - I'm glad you found us tho.
There's a lot of support here
D
Old 06-30-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the difficult situation you are in.

I hope you can find some peace in your life.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by holam26 View Post
My husband got out of rehab for alcohol yesterday and started drinking hours later(he checked himself in). We had been separated for a year bc of his drinking and I thought that him getting that help was gonna make our lives better. So I put my heart back on the line and it feels like he stopped on it. I feel stupid and like it was all a joke. I dont know what to do. Im so sad and heartbroken. I really believed he was getting better.
You need to divorce him and move on before you get permanently sucked into the darkness he is bringing you into. You cant change him, he has to want it for himself. I know you are hurting and I wish things were different for you. As is though, it would be best for you to go your own way and take care of yourself and kids if you have got them. He needs to be on his own now.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you've been separated for a year and he still hasn't come to his senses, he just might love booze more than you. It's a tough situation.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your husband is sick. You did not cause it, and you cannot cure him. However you can be sucked into his disease and get sick as a result.

I am sorry about your situation, but you need to move on. Only when/IF he hits HIS bottom, not the one you set for him, will he finally make the decision to change.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Me too!

Back in 2008 I voluntarily checked myself into detox...got out after 5 days and went right back to drinking...I finally got sober in 2012. There were short periods of sobriety here and there along the way but had to hit my final low before getting and staying sober for over a year now...

Don't give up...it may not take him that long!