Notices

Hardcore cravings

Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hardcore cravings

Hey guys, I'm riding out some intense urges to drink. I'm back in the sobriety game after a year back out, with only 26 days under my belt. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to drink but I'm just sharing what I'm feeling with some other drunks, like they always tell us to do in AA. Making a huge batch of ice tea as a distraction. Here's to a great sober weekend everybody!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate.. been havin' some real intense cravings here myself.

good luck to you.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Went back out at 26 days. Just last weekend. Needless to say, I'm back here.

Best to you.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

26 days is great!

I think you're on the right track with that iced tea on a nice sunny day like today. Cleared up nice after a rainy morning.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there, you're in the right mindset. Just remind yourself of why your doing what your doing, and that tomorrow you will wake up refreshed, and not regretting anything. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been having cravings too. What has been helping me is anything with ginger in it or hot sauce. Yes, spicy is the trick for me. I have no cravings for sweets - none at all but I never was a 'sweets' person. So spicy works for me very well to lessen the cravings.

I too made non alcoholic drinks yesterday - homemade lemonade with splenda, green apple, celery and ginger juice, and green iced tea. This is what I did last night to occupy my time. I have to say, I feel pretty good today and the juices are a wonderful change.

Now I know to most this is going to sound disgusting, but this concoction worked for me like a charm.
here goes...

N/A Michelada

2 freshly squeezed limes
1 8 oz glass of Perrier or club soda or Pellegrino
10 dashes of Cholula (I like the one with the chili's and lime) any hot sauce should do by I love this one.
Shake, pour over ice

Some people put tomato juice in it, but I like mine as above.

Very refreshing, has the spiciness and with the lime its wonderful. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me.

Good luck my friend. Ride those urges out. They will lessen with time, or so I am told!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Sonrisa, I was digging in to some chips and salsa right as I read your post. lol. Spice is the answer.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

I feel you. I will have nine months next week and I still get them. I know that no good can come of drinking, yet I still fantasize about it. I went to a meeting and shared about my obsession last night. It helps!

Don't you feel so much better having not drank? You CAN do this!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree! Spicy works for me!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

have you tried this Dano?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 06-29-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Dano1975 View Post
Hey guys, I'm riding out some intense urges to drink. I'm back in the sobriety game after a year back out, with only 26 days under my belt. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to drink but I'm just sharing what I'm feeling with some other drunks, like they always tell us to do in AA. Making a huge batch of ice tea as a distraction. Here's to a great sober weekend everybody!

You can overcome these urges. Try and not live in your head right now, and focus on something else. Clean, detail your car, go on a walk.........anything so you can get out of your own head and stop focusing on the cravings. You gotta be proactive buddy, but I have faith it you.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stayed busy with my son and I got this day licked, thanks for the link Dee, I'm gonna give it a read. So happy I didn't give in! Tomorrow will feel great.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whew - thanks for posting, Dano. I relate to the cravings. I was under the mistaken impression that cravings would dissipate after the initial physical w/d. 'Had a bad one and was 'this close' to walking out the door, but hopped on SR instead.

I'm glad I did - thanks to you, Dee, for the 'urge surfing' information. I used it and it worked very well. I've copied the explanation text so that I can practice this - such a simple trick, to not 'merge with' the craving. A huge relief.

Sanrisa - your drink sounds great and I'm going to give it a try. Spicy works for me, too.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great Dylan! Make sure you mix it well and you may have to remix as the hot sauce will gravitate to the top, but it's mighty tasty. Hope you like it
Old 06-29-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

33 days here and I'm on vacation at the beach. That used to mean drink all day long! I'm really fighting that urge tonight.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 33 days, Karen! Did you see the Urge Surfing link that Dee posted? I was having a very intense craving and it helped a great deal. In fact, I'm past it now...

Hang in there, you can do it.