Notices

New here, day 15

Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New here, day 15

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking for a few days and decided I wanted to jump into the conversation cause there are a lot of great ones here. About two weeks ago I decided that it was time to kick alcohol out of my life. I could see that my daughter hated seeing me drink and the hangovers after my binges were gnarly. I still have a good job and good relationships so some might call me "high functiong". But a drunk is a drunk as far as I can see. Some of us hold down jobs and have good relationships, but we're still abusing our bodies and exposing ourselves to many dangers. What for?
I'm using the Smart Recovery method and I find it's working for me. Only bad thing is there's little contact with others using the method. The board on the site is slow and there's one meeting kind of close to me that I can't make anyway. So I'm looking forward to having the advice and support I see so many others getting on here.
Thanks for reading,

June
Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey June! Congratulations on 15 days! That's awesome!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Welcome to the forum and to sobriety. Its an amazing life and worth every second of it. I am pumped for you to experience all sober life has to offer and all the new, exciting things you are about to experience. This is a great place to chat, vent, share info, and for me........to help others who were once where I was. I always promised myself I would try and reach out when I got to a place in my recovery where I felt I could pass some of the things I have learned through my own trials and errors onto people just starting out. I think you are really going to enjoy the changes that will come with your new found sobriety. It will make you excited about life again, at least it did for me. BIG game changer!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick responses, Yellowambrosia and Nighthawk! I'm wondering, did your appetite change after you quit drinking? I am so hungry when I wake up and at night since I quit. I haven't gained any weight because I'm sure I was drinking a lot of beer and wine calories so it evens out. For now, I'm just eating when I'm hungry because I want to treat myself well during this process of quitting, but I do wonder when my appetite will go back to normal. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Junegirl
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, June! Congrats on 15 days!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today is my 10th day and yes, I am hungry a lot more often. When I was drinking I would replace meals with beer and or wine, now I'm trying to replace that with healthy foods. Hoping the excessive hinge subsides with time. *fingers crossed*
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Welcome!

Another one here who would drink my meals. I'm eating more now - some of it out of anxiety, but hoping that tapers off with more sobriety under my belt.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome, june! i'm on day 13 and still craving sugar. but there's plenty of time for me to worry about my weight once i'm secure in my sobriety.

congrats on 15 days!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Aboard June! Congratulations on your 15 days.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good to know I'm not the only one! GreenEggs, guess we'll have to learn how to eat our calories instead of drinking them. Lol. Ippo, we can start a weight loss support thread after a few months of sobriety. I agree that's not a priority right now.

Thanks for the welcoming words, everyone!

June
Old 06-29-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Junegirl

D
Old 06-29-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and congrats on 15 days! I'm on day 1, but have had long stretches of sobriety over the past 10 years, even up to 2 years once. I always got hungry at night when sober, and honestly, treated myself most nights to a small homemade ice-cream sundae. I tried to keep it around 200 calories, thinking that each of the beers I used to be drinking were likely 200 calories, and I had many more than 1 of those each night. I craved a little sugar, I suppose, and never gained weight from that small indulgence.

But what I really wanted to say is that reading your post was like reading my own thoughts. I am primarily a stay-at-home mom and have wonderful relationships, with my husband, family, friends and neighbors. I have a small lovely house and a huge garden and loads of happiness, and I would say I'm very high functioning considering my drinking habits. It was late winter when I started hating myself for the excessive drinking - several drinks a night, binges every other week, but I never stopped myself. I would get to dinner time, make my first cocktail of the day and think, oh well, maybe tomorrow. Every damn day for months and months. Not today, and not tomorrow.

I had to call out of my part-time (awesome) job today because I was too hung-over to go. I have never done that before and it was a huge wake-up call that I wasn't going to keep being high-functioning forever and that the alcohol was tearing me down.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 15 days! Day 10 here and feeling a hell of a lot better than whenever I drink. This is a great resource for support

Take care
Old 06-29-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Hey June. Glad you decided to make changes. Its worth it. There is a daily thread for the the month that will be on the on the main board. I was in the June 2011 group and it was great way to communicate every day with everyone at a similar stage of the journey, as well as posting in the other threads. You can bring SMART, AVRT or AA or whatever- we are all in it together.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so happy to meet you Junegirl.

You're making a wise decision - wish I'd had the sense to stop before it took over my life. I knew I was headed for danger, but refused to take action. You won't regret making this big change.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 15 days! I have 31 days and I have tried to eat healthy food and drink only water, but sometimes I crave sugar so I buy a bunch of strawberries and pineapples. I hope you find encouragement and positivity on SR.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Acheleus, it looks like I've already found lots of encouragement and positivity right here on this thread. I haven't told anyone the real reason I'm not drinking-I've told everyone I need to lose weight and I'm on a strict diet. The fact is, a few people in my family and a few friends are aware that I drink a lot, though they're not aware just how much, but other people don't know. I've been mostly an at-home drinker this past year, after my off-switch broke. Because of this, this is really the only place where I can talk about my problem honestly. So everyone's encouraging words and sharing are really appreciated. Bebetter, like you, I've been living a double life. But it's time to start living with integrity-one life without alcohol in it. At some point I hope I can talk to the people in my life about this, but I'm not there yet.

June
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome! I have been on this website for only about a week also; I'm on day 10 of sobriety! I feel so great! This is an awesome place for inspiration! I was on vacation for a week and as soon as I got back I immediately got on here to see what was up! I am using the Alcohol Lied to Me method by Craig Beck. I am going to Google your method as well! I love books and self-help methods! And yes I have also been craving a lot more food and water as well; I assumed I would lose weight when I quit drinking but I think I've gained 3 pounds in this first week. I'm not going to worry about it right now but soon I will get back on WeightWatchers. Right now I'm going to focus on being sober and feeling healthy. Best wishes to you!!