Notices

Starting New

Old 06-29-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting New

This is my first posting even though I'm on day 2 without a drink. This hurts. Plain and simple. I never imagined withdrawal would be like this. I keep saying to myself that this pain will pass and is better than the alternative long term pain of continuing to drink. I haven't even thought about having a drink today, but I think that has something to do with the headache that won't stop. I read that it can take a couple of days for that symptom to pass and I feel those will be hard days.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by AnewGuy View Post
This is my first posting even though I'm on day 2 without a drink. This hurts. Plain and simple. I never imagined withdrawal would be like this. I keep saying to myself that this pain will pass and is better than the alternative long term pain of continuing to drink. I haven't even thought about having a drink today, but I think that has something to do with the headache that won't stop. I read that it can take a couple of days for that symptom to pass and I feel those will be hard days.
Yeah it will be a rough few weeks, but its worth it. How long have you used alcohol as a coping tool? There are bound to be some unpleasant effects when you abruptly stop using it, but its the only way to really get sober and put this all behind you. I find the worse the withdrawal is, the more likely you are to remember it and avoid relapsing. The horrible anxiety and fear I felt when hungover and when I detoxed are always fresh in my memory, and for this I am thankful, because I never want to forget where I was, so I dont end up back there. The worse it is the better, so you wont forget this. Work through it, it wont last forever, and there is a whole new better life waiting for you on the other side. Stick with it.