Notices

Firefighter fighting back

Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks again everybody. Nighthawk, the night of my "Last Call" I ended up wandering into the woods, got lost, took a nasty spill into a pile of sticks and ended up with a pretty nasty puncture wound. I also trampled a new pair of glasses and was naked (for whatever reason, must have felt good). This last week I keep thinking that I'm the Public Info Officer with my FD. Can you imagine how it would reflect on my dept. if people knew that I was a drunk?

Anyway, yeah, ambien is not a good mix. Thing is I'm a bad insomniac so I'm pretty dependent on it. One of the reasons I used to drink so much is I wanted to pass out and sleep.

Sounds like there are a lot of folks in Emergency Services with drinking problems. It's a coping mechanism I guess.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments. Great support. Still a little iffy about going to AA . I might make this place my NEW addiction! Have a nice weekend all. Stay safe
Old 06-29-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Jesse,

I get you. Big time. I used to get bombed with others. As I have gotten older and people have built families and moved away for careers I have continued to drink in excess, except that now it is by myself way more than in the company of others.

It is not uncommon for me to pull off a midweek or weekend drunk that goes from dinner time to 3 am. It is sad that I do so much drinking alone. It is not normal nor is it in any way beneficial to me or my family or my co-workers who may have to deal with my irritability the next day.

I have started going to AA. I am on my 3rd day in a row. So far I have met some great people. I have heard some great stories that I connect with. I have heard some really amazingly truthful and profound pieces of advice.

I think it is worth giving a shot. I have learned that I NEED to be around people like me. I NEED people that understand where I am coming from. It is the only way for me. Moderation and hanging with others that don't get alcoholism or celebrate drinking themselves will only lead to more drinking and more misery. I am an alcoholic and I need to be around others that are like me.

Go once. See what it is about. You do not even have to talk. I haven't yet. I will when I am ready. It is the listening that is most important now. Everyone there understands and is there to help. If you don't like it, stop going. I know so far it is helping me tremendously. Whatever you need to do.

Congrats on recognizing your problem and having the courage to share. Good luck. Welcome to SR!