Notices

A Reminder to All

Old 04-13-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lightbulb A Reminder to All

With the amount of new people here daily, it's probably a good idea to get a little remedial....

SoberRecovery.com Forums General Principles

Tolerance: Please respect the rights of others to hold beliefs and perspectives, which differ from yours. Our Sober Recovery Forum members are of many nationalities, ages, and cultures. Healthy, vigorous debate will further our goals, but only when guided by the tolerance that springs from mutual embrace of mission.

Intellectual Freedom: Embrace diversity of practice. It is impossible to understand an action without first understanding the actor and their environment. Know that varied environments call for varied response. Your way may not be the best way.

Freedom of Speech: We resist censorship in favor of free speech. Within our forums, we support the broadest range of perspectives and expression, for it is the unification of diversity to cause that gives strength to our community. We are committed to equal opportunity. Influence and responsibility here are inseparable, and both spring solely from a demonstrated commitment to furthering the topics discussed in our forums. Bear in mind, however, that some language and conduct is still considered inappropriate.

Responsible Behavior: Your attendance here carries a responsibility. Ours is a mission of mind and perspective, and consequently, attention is our most precious resource. Do not waste what attention you may attract, nor seek to attract it with wasteful actions. Remember that personal worldview is a most powerful motivator; never treat another's lightly.

SoberRecovery.com Forums Violations (Don'ts):
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

Including:
4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
The boards are very busy these days.

The small community a lot of us remember is now a very big one.

Unless there's a open riot we have to generally assume that any little disagreements aren't bothering anyone, are sorted out and fine.

If you wish to complain about a post that you find against our rules then please report the post by clicking the yield sign on the relevant post or get in touch with the relevant moderators through a private message.

This is your forum - play a part in it

D
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For the next few months we're gonna have a lot of new people.
I was treated with kindness and courtesy when I got here.

I was terrified but that kindness and courtesy kept me here.

I think it's really important to remember here, but in this forum especially - we just may be the poster SR gets judged on.

We have a great forum here - let's keep it up
Happy Holidays to all!

D
Old 12-23-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
torquemax777

This is slightly OT, but since you are clarifying things anyway, I can't seem to find a sticky that defines the symbols by some threads. I've sort of figured some out just by myself like the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark in the middle is one that might be a trigger right? I think? But on like some have a blue question mark and if it's just a question, that means almost all the threads should have a blue question mark right?

I found the sticky with acronym definitions but not a key for the thread symbols, or who puts them there or determines they need one?

Thanks! Great job on an awesome web site/forum!
Old 12-23-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those icons are selected by the thread starter - they're 'manual', not automatic, so don't waste too much time trying to break the code - there isn't one

D
Old 12-23-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you D
Old 12-23-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Thank you, Dee.

This forum probably saved my life. I always try to keep that in mind.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Thanks for a timely reminder Dee. Just checking because I don't want to be on the wrong side of the guidelines, but would it be acceptable to call a moderator a Banana Bender?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee

Jennifer
Old 12-23-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Empathy and compassion go a long way. Thanks, Dee.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
blessyouall

What a great reminder, particularly for new guys like me. Just as in life first impressions here are key. The difference is if someone gets a bad first impression on SR they may never come back, and we all know how tragic that can be.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
blessyouall

double post