Notices

Looking for advice

Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for advice

Hello! I'm New here, and I came across the site..there is a lot of good information.
Im 96 days sober from Alcohol abuse. Ive pretty much been drinking since the age of 15 and I am now 35. 95 days ago I went to detox for a week and I haven't had a drink since.

Im suffering from depression I think, and of course anxiety. Some days Im fine, working, exercising, eating good...then all of a sudden I feel like my life is coming undone for no reason. My mind races all the time...I even feel manic and over whelmed. I have a hard time focusing and sometime I get dizzy...I can some what control all this by breathing and talking myself out of it..but I just feel like im going crazy.

I have yet to follow up with a doctor, I'm afraid of being prescribed pills that will change me and I know nothing about them.
But at the same time I don't want to feel like this.
I feel like I'm an alien in my own body.

I just feel hopeless and when I feel like this it takes so much to bounce back.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think after a few months you can still be having symptoms with withdrawal--mood being one of those things.

A good doctor should follow up with you if you're put on a psych medication to make sure they're working *and* not causing awful side-effects.

I've been on a few different medications. What I have now treats both my epilepsy and depression; I like it and it doesn't have any adverse effects. Took some time to find something that works this well, but I had doctors willing to help.

Best of luck! And if medication doesn't suit you, you may have other options. Therapy? Group counselling?
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seeing a doc is great advice. Glad you joined and posted here. Being with others who understand helps tremendously. You are not alone little wing.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey hon,

Don't feel hopeless, there's stacks of stuff you can do with this situation. For example - you mention healthy food, exercise (all good ) - have you tried meditation, yoga, tai-chi? Most of the people I know who have tried them for anxiety are really positive about it. There are plenty of people here who'd be happy to offer you advice about those. That 'feeling alien' thing is pretty common - tai-chi especially grounds you in your own body.

As for the pills, no on is going to make you take anything that you don't want to - if you go to the doctor and tell her what you told us, she'll be able to find something that you're happy to take. Ask questions, get her to explain. And if you're not happy, don't take it

It does take a lot to bounce back. Hang in there, okay?

xx
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nuudawn, Isaiah
Thank you for your response..I think a doctor visit is what I need to do. I feel that I may have a deeper issue with my anxiety. Ive always been a nervous person and I used alcohol over the years to get that liquid courage and calming affect.
It does feel relieving that Im not alone..I feel like everyone around me does not understand.
Thank you again!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your response Huxley,
really made me feel good...your right...yes I'm doing all good things, like biking to work everyday. I do yoga when I can on the weekends and that really helps. I work a lot and I have a new puppy...but I do need to take the time for myself in my recovery.
I overdue it and need to just chill out and take care of me...deep breath!!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice! Someone called Coffeenut told me to breathe when I first started coming here. It's good advice.

Actually, I should see what she's up to...

Puppy sounds nice. What breed?

xx
Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have to take big breaths all day..uugghh it helps!!!

Hes a German Shepard corgi..hes adorable.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlewing25 View Post
Nuudawn, Isaiah
Thank you for your response..I think a doctor visit is what I need to do. I feel that I may have a deeper issue with my anxiety. Ive always been a nervous person and I used alcohol over the years to get that liquid courage and calming affect.
It does feel relieving that Im not alone..I feel like everyone around me does not understand.
Thank you again!
You will read your story here repeatedly.

I found lasting sobriety and serenity in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Haha! Nice! Inquisitive breeds I've got a tortoise. Surprisingly good at climbing, which was not something I pictured tortoises doing.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

very nice dog breed!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think anxiety is the little goblin with roots in all of our addiction. Although I am not utilizing AA..I do remember at one of my very first meetings having a bit of an "aha" moment.
OHHHH..we're all a little messed up here. For some reason I walked around most of my life thinking everybody else had it all figured out and I was just some conspicuous dork fighting like mad to hide my dork from everyone..well, drowning that dork actually.

Turns out I'm just human..flaws and all.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Exactly, drowning the worries! I think my anxiety is coming to surface, I cant wait to get a grasp on it.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Those 12 steps took my anxiety and depression away. I don't require medication.

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here - welcome little wing

D