Notices

81 days and still not sleeping...

Old 06-27-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

81 days and still not sleeping...

i thought things were suppose to improve? doesnt look like it here, no sleep for a day and i am not happy about it at all...
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

How long have you not been sleeping Legend - it's not clear to me? is it a day or 83 days?

If it's been a while, have you considered seeing a Dr?

D
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

What I have noticed with me is that all of the medical stuff I had going on, I blamed subconsciously on booze. Since quitting, some things have gone away... And some things have not. Check with your doc.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Congratulations on 81 days!

I'm just at 100 days this time and don't ever intend to drink again. Booze messes with way more than just your mind. Long-term it causes health and vitamin deficiencies that can take months or years to overcome.

Lack of sleep was a big thing for me. The racing mind with fear and anxiety. Still happens sometimes. I know it will only get worse if I drink.

Eating healthy and some vitamin supplements has helped a lot. Also some herbal tea is great for night time relaxation. Much better than trying to relax with booze or pills.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How long have you not been sleeping Legend - it's not clear to me? is it a day or 83 days?

If it's been a while, have you considered seeing a Dr?

D
well i have had sleepless nights for years now, as of late things were better. of course i was under the care of a mental health doctor. since i had to close my case due to transportation issues so i am without the med help
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Legend40 View Post
i thought things were suppose to improve? doesnt look like it here, no sleep for a day and i am not happy about it at all...

Insomnia is an unfortunate side effect when you quit drinking. I used to take benadryl to fall asleep, as my doc said it was non habit forming and safe. It gets better, but it takes time. The other biggest part of sobriety is you have to go out and tackle life, push yourself, and do things that scare you. That is the only way to change, grow, and really benefit in sobriety.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would also talk to your doctor if you're still not sleeping after 81 days. By the way, congrats on 81 days!!!

I've actually been taking a Melatonin (natural supplement, non prescription, non-addictive) every evening before I go to bed and I've never slept better. I also wake up very refreshed. I've been taking this since the day I quit alcohol.

Also chamomile tea in the evening works great. ('Sleepy-Time' Tea works for me.)
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Took me 3 months to start sleeping somewhat normally which for me is getting up 3-4 times a night. I am actually quitting caffeine tomorrow as I've been drinking it a lot since getting sober & I'm sure that's not helping. Could that be an issue for you ?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Took me 3 months to start sleeping somewhat normally which for me is getting up 3-4 times a night. I am actually quitting caffeine tomorrow as I've been drinking it a lot since getting sober & I'm sure that's not helping. Could that be an issue for you ?
i have not drank anything caffeinated in years, its my racing mind, it never slows down
Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Legend, just a lot of stuff on your mind? I found that when the dulling effects of booze were lifted, then all these feelings started popping up. It was and is very intense. I've use melatonin successfully. It's non-habit forming and doesn't give you a hangover. You can get it over the counter at any pharmacy.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm having the same trouble. I sleep terrible. Its only day 13 for me, but I've been struggling with this. I am waiting for the day I wake up feeling refreshed and its not happening.

I noticed that the side effects I had from quitting alcohol two years ago and completely different than now. Maybe because I'm not working out? I plan to make that my night time ritual - alternating with walks in the park.

I feel you and I know what lack of sleep does to you. I took a melatonin one night but I had trouble waking up after that - so I decided not to take anything. I wish too that it would get better.