Notices

introduction

Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

introduction

Hi guys!
So for about the past year or 2 i have been blacking out consistantly when i drink. Before this i had been sent to the hospital for alcohol poisoning (back in 2011) and that really messed with my self esteem. Before that i never considered myself to have a problem with alcohol or being a partyier at all, but because i had been sent to the hospital i felt a need to rebel against authority even more. I really dont think i would have had much of a problem with alcohol except I had all these repercussions from this one event and to be honest i became really depressed over it. So since then i have become a much heavier drinker. I would only drink on the weekends but sometimes i would black out both nights i drank.
I never bothered to think about how bad it really was that i couldnt remember my night, who i hooked up with, or the friendships i was destroying. All that mattered to me at that point in my life was making it through the week so i could go hard on the weekend.
As of the past 6 months i have definitely let up on drinking. I really thought i had it under control and could hold myself to a few drinks and wasnt blacking out at all (which is a huge step for me)
However, I just moved to a new town and am having a lot of trouble meeting people and finding people to hang out with. So this last weekend i went out with a few people from my work because I really wanted to go out, get drunk, and meet people. I have no idea what ended up happening but im scared i made a complete fool of myself.
I know i need to stop doing this to myself because after i get these blackouts, i go into these depressions and feel unmotivated for days afterwards. Im not sure what is going on physically and physchologically with my body, but i know its not normal. So since my last blackout,i havent had a drink nor do i want to. But i thought it couldnt hurt to join a support group to help me get through this drinking problem i have.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

It sounds like you drink a bit too much when you decide to go hard on the weekend.
You should try and drink less, lets say try cutting what you drink in half. Wait, that might be hard because you probably have no idea how much you're drinking if you black out.
What I discovered about my drinking was that when I tried to control it, I didn't enjoy it and when I tried to enjoy it, I couldn't control it.
So, ultimately I had to discontinue my consumption of adult beverages indefinitely.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DAB

Oh, and welcome to SR, izzy22!
Relax and enjoy your stay.
We would love to assist in your recovery.
Congratulations for reaching out and looking for help!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I hope you quit drinking before something horrible happens during a blackout. Getting blackouts is a very bad sign that your alcoholism is much worse. You'll find a lot of support here. Lean on us until you can stand on your own. You can do this.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcoem Izzy

Yeah blackouts are terrible...the worst thing you could do is get used to them.

you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Izzy! You found a great place where we all understand.

I had to stop drinking because I put myself in danger every time it was in my system. I never knew if I'd make it home safely. I couldn't trust myself at all in the end. It was much easier to kick it out of my life, since I had no control over the amounts I drank. I hope you'll find the support here helpful Izzy. You can have a better life.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Blacking out is scary. I hope you can find the help you need.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Izzy! Wonderful decision to come here! Read around..see what resonates with you..stay close. Your post reminds me of my late teens and 20's....and I wince. Waiting for the weekend to party and blackout It just got worse.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Welcome, stick around. Lots of great support here!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support!! it really means alot. Especially since everyone else i know doesnt understand the full extent of my problems. Its nice to find people who can relate.

Blacking out is the worst! and its been happening way too much. I decided awhile ago that I would much rather remember my nights than be drunk... but then again ive still been blacking out so ive decided i need to take it more seriously.
Obviously i dont want to give up drinking all together, but at the same time i think ive reached the point where i need to go cold turkey. Which is a huge bummer because i just turned 21 and havent fully got to enjoy drinking legally. But my health is way more important to me than a few good parties, so im going to focus on all the great opportunities i have with my life, rather than the good drinks i will miss out on
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Izzy, for me I could only worry about the situation or moment before me. I avoided (and maybe still do) thinking about the whole never drinking again thing. I found that too overwhelming, as well as futile, I can only control the situation I have at hand. Every situation I handle sober..strengthens me..and my resolve.

Yes, your young, try to enjoy your friends and event without the booze that's stealing the moment from you anyway.