Notices

Aa?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aa?

Ok ... I need ya'lls advice. I have been sober for a little over 3 months, (3 Months and 4 days) to be exact.
I do attend a Celebrate Recovery - 12 Step group every Saturday.
Here is the deal. I just got a new job, working third shifts and my new job requires me to drive an hour one way. Working thirds, I actually live in the city I work at 5 days out of 7.
I have been thinking about going back to AA meets for more support than just my CR group and my CR sponsor.
Being 3 months sober, female, and one who has been to AA meetings before than walked out half way through ... I just do not know which one is for me. There are so many to choose from.
Any suggestions? Do I just stick with my CR group, etc ...
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've attended: NA, CA, AA, Big Book, 12 Step, Open Participation, Closed Meetings, Women Only,Meetings at Church's, rooms in old homes, outside in a park, etc etc. I just went. I just got a car last month too. The first 6 months I took the bus/Metro and walked. Now, I get to go to any meeting without thinking about bus schedules . Guess my point is....YES...go to other AA meetings. I have my Noon home group meeting M-F. There are 2 meetings on the weekend that are incredible that I attend as we'll. GO Go Go. :-D. Bobbi
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful

If it were me I would try the AA meetings again...see if you have a different perspective now than you did last time. If you like your CR group maybe you can do both and they will compliment each other. It doesn't cost anything except an hour of your time to try it again.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I never heard of CR, but the essence of any 12 step program along the lines of AA, once you have been around a week or two, is to go to give support, not to receive it. It never seems to work very well for people who just go along to see what they can get out of it. Try AA or CR with a view to giving and you might find it works a whole lot better.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I never heard of CR, but the essence of any 12 step program along the lines of AA, once you have been around a week or two, is to go to give support, not to receive it. It never seems to work very well for people who just go along to see what they can get out of it. Try AA or CR with a view to giving and you might find it works a whole lot better.
I did not get the feeling this person had in mind to only see what they can get out of it, but I get your point.

For me it is give and take. There are times I may not be having any up front issues that day, or hour, as the case may be. That does not mean I don't go because I feel I am not going to drink today. That is selfish. I would still be caught in the "all about me" phase.

I am there to support others but if I am having a bad time then I can lean on them to help and support me.

You can give and get at the same time. Giving back is a help to me and them. Just sharing a problem or how you handled problem can be help to someone else, they may be having the same in their lives, but it also helps me to get that problem out and talk about it.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

it is not mandatory that you like meetings you attend it is mandatory that you stay sober. I have found that most times I do not like something it is because it reminds me of me or it is something I need to hear but do not want to. If it were not for AA meetings I would not be sober today
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

While I haven't liked all the meetings I've attended, I do like going to the different groups. Each group has its own dynamic, and each group has pros & cons. It's also nice to be able to mingle with people, since I relied so heavily on the alcohol to do that for me in the past. Going into different groups of people who're all facing the exact same issue breaks that barrier.