Notices

Climbing the walls!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Climbing the walls!

I am on day 15 and i almost just opened a bottle of Wine as i cant take the boredom of feeling normal anymore. I enjoy drinking and it is fun so i am starting to wonder why i am even quitting. I havent opened it and am thinking back to all the bad times recently with drinking and that i guess is stopping me. I would love to be able to say and promise to myself and everyone that i will curb my drinking to 2 cans per night or half a bottle of wine etc. but deep down i know what will happen in the long run, i will get back to how i was theres no doubt what so ever. I am finding this EXTREMLY hard and want a beer so badly its just not funny!!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's very tough at first ,but stay with your sobriety, Keep thinking back to the bad times. As you state, you know what will happen in the long run. It's not worth it.

Stay Strong
Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had to get rid of all alcohol in my house or I would be climbing the walls. There have been many days that the only reason I stayed sober was the fact that there was no alcohol in my house. Don't get me wrong that's not the reason everyday but when the voice starts talking and I'm struggling those are the days I am so thankful there is none here. Yesterday was one of those days.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Bored? Do something. Sitting around wishing you weren't and wishing you could drink is counter productive. Nor is it going to relieve your boredom.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Put off taking the first drink, don't do it! Stay strong, find activities to replace alcohol, find a method of recovery which works best for yourself. Stick around SR. Glad you are here.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Yeah, I get those feelings as well. The boredom, the sense of questioning why you're doing this. Then I look at all the bad stuff that's happened, and all the money I'll save, and all the good that will follow...be easy on yourself, and find a good book, take a cool shower or a warm bath, be gentle, heal, resist.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also recommend the alcohol be removed from your house too. Makes things to difficult in early sobriety. There have been a few nights in the last 59 days that I would have relapsed if something had been handy...soooo glad nothing was and I woke up sober the next mornings.

Hope you feel better.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post
I am on day 15 and i almost just opened a bottle of Wine as i cant take the boredom of feeling normal anymore. I enjoy drinking and it is fun so i am starting to wonder why i am even quitting. I havent opened it and am thinking back to all the bad times recently with drinking and that i guess is stopping me. I would love to be able to say and promise to myself and everyone that i will curb my drinking to 2 cans per night or half a bottle of wine etc. but deep down i know what will happen in the long run, i will get back to how i was theres no doubt what so ever. I am finding this EXTREMLY hard and want a beer so badly its just not funny!!
Google and read "AA's How It Works". Read it slowly and carefully.

It may save your life. It did/does mine.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replys everyone. Instead of opening that wine i went for a drive with my wife and daughter as im learning to drive and insured on her car and it was amazing therapy and took my mind far away from the booze. We have agreed to do this every evening and hopefully i can pass my test at long last as im 32 now and still have no licence lol. I beleive my drinking has stopped me doing all the productive positive things in life and its scary to say but i'm starting to think i havent actually lived life properly yet as its all been under the influence of booze. I have acheived some pretty great things in my life but when i look back at them i only was buzzing about them at the time because of alcohol. I am feeling stronger already. Amazing what a few hours can do. I struggle mainly between 4pm and 7pm because thats when my body starts calling Beers. The driving really helps.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you! Good luck with the driving!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can choose to not be bored. There are tons of things to do that are fun and interesting. How about volunteer work?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi RJY9. I'm glad to see you managed your cravings.

Those feelings of boredom led me back to drinking for many years. I swore I'd control what I drank as long as I could go back to it. As you already said, deep down you know what'll happen in the long run. It always led me back to an unmanageable nightmare - always. That's why stopping for good was my only option. At 15 days you're still making a huge adjustment. Things will get easier and better. I'm glad you posted about how you were feeling - well done.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Such kind words Hevyn. Thank you so much. I will stick at it this time as i know i have too much to loose. SR is really helping.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi RJY9!!
This was me yesterday. I am only a month sober so I am new to this whole thing as well. Posting on this website and reading the comments is what pulled me through and allowed me to wake up this morning with a clear head and a new sense of gratefulness. I know that we will have more days like this, where we are close to drinking, and I guess that's where the idea of one day at a time comes from. Just think about making it through tonight. Tomorrow morning, you will be hangover free!!
I also made a list yesterday of everything that I was grateful for and why I initially chose to stop drinking. That helped as well.
My mind works in the same way. Once 4-5pm hits, it's misery... but we both know it.... one glass of wine will turn into the whole bottle and then we are at square one again....
Thinking of you tonight! One day at a time!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well done on the month 2310! Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you glad to see you stayed strong!