Notices

SR What a help!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up SR What a help!

I must say that SR has actually been a very positive tool for me being able to read the posts and other peoples stories aswell as come in and have a chat with people who have been there done it or doing it just now! Im 3 days sober and getting thru the withdrawels!

Last night i couldnt sleep had a bit of the shakes and was a little agitated so i decided i'll come on SR have a read on a few posts then i popped into chat and had a talk and a bit of banter with a few people and i must say it relaxed me just talking about the demon that we all share in a relaxed social non judgmental environment made a big difference before i knew it it was 1:30am and i was feeling a little tired so said my goodnights and went off too bed watch some "storage wars" and be before it had finished i was out for the count! Had the best sleep i've had a while, didnt wake up with the sweats or have any the weird nightmares and woke up today feelings good about my life! First thing i done was get a coffee then look through my emails at topics i'd posted on and had a read up on what i'd missed!

I have to say i have no 'plan' in place i wont be going to AA all i know i will be doing is not drinking and staying sober! My plan is if i feel the urge or have a craving for a beer then i will put a wee post up here and within minutes day or night i will have posts telling me not to do it think of my hard work so on.....now i stay in Scotland and i've spoken to people all over the world on here and i've only been registered 2days who are giving me support! Although im still early on in my recovery i feel really positive and blessed that i found this site cause if i didnt who knows!

So to anyone thinking about joining or arent sure about whether to post or not i hope my experience will help you do it as it has all the experiences all over the world with different views, stories and opinions at times but that is exactly whats worked for me not one person saying do it this way you have loads of opinions and some of them you wouldnt think of!

A big thank you too all who have given me the advise over last few days and sharing your stories and experience with me its been a great help! I will continue to check SR daily and contribute as best i can to help others and will keep you upto date with my progress!

Keep fighting the good fight and stay strong all!!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good stuff Ian, glad your feeling so positive
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice work Ian! Just a thought. I wrote out a list of about a dozen things to do rather than drink if I felt the urge. SR was just one of them. Always good to have a back up plan or two in case the first fails you or is not at your disposal. Journalling, going for a run, calling a friend, having a bubble bath are just a few others I have in my artillery.

It's good to have many weapons at your disposal.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the journey starts with you, but this place is amazing.

glad you're feeing better.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wrote a post earlier on how mental withdrawals can be. If we can find a way to lessen the thoughts of how we think withdrawals are going to be then they won't be as bad. Ever felt better when you had your fix in your hand but haven't done it yet? Not saying it's not gonna have a some effect but we can choose to make worse if we want. If we think all day how miserable and hellish it's gonna be then that's probably what your gonna get. Try to put on a smile and say hey this ain't ****!! I got this all day!! Try to be as positive as you can and I promise it'll lessen the effects somewhat. Maybe not totally but it will help. I know it's hard though but try try try!! What's it gonna hurt?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

great post ian,,so glad you feel comfortable here,,its a fab place,,,and its so nice to read positive posts ,,welcome to sr.
may your journey be a great one,,,hugs xx cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
im hoping to come to scotland in the autunm,,,canny wait xxx
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Positive thinking is a lot to do with it!

Cleo look me up if you do we'll get a coffee!