Notices

Day 2

Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

On day 2 and feeling optimistic. Just found out on Saturday that my wife is expecting again.....she broke her toe and we went into the ER and they told her no x-rays because we'll be having a baby. What a way to find out!! So funny how life works.....had she not broken her toe and not found out this news, she certainly would have over-indulged at some upcoming parties (she's a normie). And not to sound selfish, but it's nice that I can go into this fight without any booze in the house as she won't be drinking for the next 16 months.

Sunday evening I was working overtime and had a drink before I left the office. Then six IPA's and then my wife walked into the kitchen to find me pouring a glass of warm chardonnay. I'll never forget the look on her face as she exclaimed "Honey, you don't even drink wine let alone warm wine!" We laughed but both know it's really time for this to stop and it was an eye opener for her. I dumped the bottle of chardonnay and started this journey again. I pray for the strength, dedication, wisdom, and courage to learn from others, remain abstinent from alcohol, and be a sober daddy to our 1 yo son and be the rock for my wife during this pregnancy. I feel like things are aligning and have set some small goals....nothing out of my reach and going to make these positive changes. The only thing I am focused on is not drinking today. Cheers yawl and there is zero alcohol in our house and I will keep it that way.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your news about the upcoming baby, and hope your wife's to heals fast so she has one less thing to deal with during the pregnancy. Getting sober is a great move, but hopefully you are doing it for yourself and as a permanent goal. As you well know, the work only begins once the pregnancy is done - so you definitely owe it to your family to be there for them. Do you have a plan for how you will stay sober going forward?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Scott,
Yes, this is absolutely for me and this news is only more motivation to continue the fight that I've been fighting for many months now. It's additional motivation but the main reason is to learn to accept and love myself for who I am and not run to the bottle for every single emotion I feel (whether good or bad). My plan includes AA meetings 4 nights a week at my home group, continue praying morning and night, continue studying various literature on the subject, SR involvement, working out, antidepressants as recently prescribed by DR (it's a first time I've been willing to take them and I notice a positive difference), waking up earlier in the mornings for some much needed "me" time, more music with the project my wife and I have started, and to avoid alcohol altogether. Oh, and no booze in the house this time.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I want this. From the depths of my soul I want to stop this and never drink again (and I'm saying that while not hungover). I'm done.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on the upcoming baby!

If you want this as badly as you say you do, then you will have it. You can do this!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations to use both! Will also keep u busy!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations!!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Starting Day 3. Crazy...last night I talked to a buddy of mine and is expecting his first in Sept. I asked him if he's still drinking. He said yes and that his wife buys him beer daily. For a few minutes I thought, well if he can why can't I? Such a dumb way to think about my own life and my own decisions but I quickly realized I was only asking the question as a way to try to justify changing my mind. But I stayed strong and made it to day 3. Meeting at lunch today.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Congratulations in general, and congratulations on day 3! These first days can be hard, and here you are.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your good news and your sobriety RF

D
Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! Stay strong!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 3 days and the baby news.