Notices

Do not know what to expect?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do not know what to expect?

Hi, I am knew to the group and I am not an user. My daughter is. For the last 3 years she has been on everything from weed to wet to heroin. I could never prove it until I finally caught her injecting bute into her arm last week. I do believe finally catching her was a god sent as she has finally agreed to go to rehab. We will be taking her to an assessment appointment this evening to see if they will admit her. I have been trying to read up on "bute", as I really never heard of it before and understand that is something that is perscribed for detox of heroin, but not really understanding why she is injecting, what the affects are, or what to expect through out this whole process. I do know this is not going to be an easy rode for her family, her loved ones and most especially for her! Please if anyone could give me any insite on the drug itself and the long rode we are about to travel, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR.

I really have no insight on that drug but wanted to welcome you. Feel free to check out the friends and family forum, there are a lot of parents of addicts there and they are a kind hearted supportive bunch. You are not alone anymore
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Carlotta, I will definately do that!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jhunter View Post
Hi, I am knew to the group and I am not an user. My daughter is. For the last 3 years she has been on everything from weed to wet to heroin. I could never prove it until I finally caught her injecting bute into her arm last week. I do believe finally catching her was a god sent as she has finally agreed to go to rehab. We will be taking her to an assessment appointment this evening to see if they will admit her. I have been trying to read up on "bute", as I really never heard of it before and understand that is something that is perscribed for detox of heroin, but not really understanding why she is injecting, what the affects are, or what to expect through out this whole process. I do know this is not going to be an easy rode for her family, her loved ones and most especially for her! Please if anyone could give me any insite on the drug itself and the long rode we are about to travel, it would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum!

About 2 years ago my son (as a teenager) had a heroin addiction. We knew something was amiss but couldn't pinpoint what it was as his behavior was off, he didn't look healthy, often gone for a couple of days at a time, etc. In any case, he asked for an inpatient program, which we did put him in. The withdrawal from heroin is not pretty. I'm thinking that your daughter is injecting what is known on the streets as "bupe" and not "bute" (bute is a horse drug). Bupe is short for buprenorphine also known as Suboxone. Now I might be wrong but I'm only sharing what I know about heroin and drugs that addicts will use when addicted to it. Buprenorphine is a semi-synthetic opioid often used by addicts to lessen withdrawal symptoms (I'm not sure how successful it is in practice). So she's shooting it as it provides some of the same relief that she would get by injecting heroin. I think of it as similar to methadone.

Hope that helps some. Do some searching on the internet for that drug and you should get more information than you need.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you dbaguy, I will keep researching and yes "bupe".....I guess I will be learning much more than I ever wanted to.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best wishes my friend. I am not familiar with Bute either, but you are doing the best thing by getting her treatment. I have a 23 yr old in jail now for not paying violation fines. Tough love is the final and hopefully best thing to regain our childrens senses.

Keep posting.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jhunter- there's a lot of support and understanding here

D
Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Living View Post
Best wishes my friend. I am not familiar with Bute either, but you are doing the best thing by getting her treatment. I have a 23 yr old in jail now for not paying violation fines. Tough love is the final and hopefully best thing to regain our childrens senses.

Keep posting.
Living -

So right you are about the tough love! I'm struggling with my 19 year old who can't hold a job, has no motivation, has struggled with substances (from weed to heroin) since he was 14. It's a constant battle .