Notices

Headed to what will be a drunken work party...

Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headed to what will be a drunken work party...

For one of my favorite colleagues' bday so I'm definitely going.

At a place called the Mummy Tomb for one reason (getting loaded is it's sole rasion d'etre).

And I'm looking forward to it, even though I'm only a barely couple weeks sober.

I want to order a huge seltzer with lime and sip away listening to my AV voice panic and scream while the Beast thrashes and whines in his envy of everyone getting sloshed around him.

I want to stay for an hour or so, just enogh to see the slack-drunkenness come over everyone's faces.

I want to leave then, and walk home sober as a f**king bird on a wire, eat some healthy food, hang out with my son before bed, read a bit, watch some TV and fall asleep - without guilt, shame or regret.

Because I don't drink.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you're stronger than me. hope it goes well.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Originally Posted by ippochick View Post
you're stronger than me. hope it goes well.
Ditto that.. I would not have attempted it early on... I've gotten used to those types of parties now and have not problems resisting. The fun/funny/twisted thing is you notice little things you never did before. Like the little bit of white residue on a guys nostril etc. It's fun to people watch and you can do the good samaritan thing too if the occasion calls. Good luck! And please bump this thread with a follow up post after the party. Inquiring minds...'ya know.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Enjoy it ! I find theres nothing better than being round drunks or people drinking to re charge my sober batteries . Your sober and cool not like them that * have* to drink.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Your fellow Junies know you can do it!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you hang around the barber shop you'll end up with a haircut.

Today sounds like it will turn out to be a life lesson.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Though I know it's "going" sober, b/c I don't drink.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Enjoy that night out!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hate to be a wet blanket but I disagree with your decision to attend. While I find your bravery to be entertaining and somewhat inspirational, I don't think it's the right move. I wouldn't let a 12 year-old drive a car, even if they had the balls and the skill to do so. They might do just fine but it's a silly and irresponsible risk. Similarly, I wouldn't recommend anyone with less than a month's sobriety go to a bar where the sole purpose is getting wasted.

You might not drink this time, but seeds can get planted. Be careful - and good luck, but remember not to let your moxie get the best of you! I support your quest for sobriety and hope all goes well.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I have a healthy respect for the "beast" and know better than to provoke it.
While I have no desire to drink and have no problem if a friend enjoys a glass of wine with lunch in front of me I would not place myself in this kind of situation (going to a drunken party).
Many people who were cocky enough to think they could go hang out in bars or go to these kind of parties ended up paying for it.
I am old enough to know that if I play with matches, I can get burned.
Don't underestimate how sneaky AV can be.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd have to agree with the naysayers on this one Less. Going to a wedding, work event or art/music event where drinking is ALSO happening might even be a stretch less than 2 weeks in, But attending an event where the absolute only focus is getting drunk really flies in the face of getting sober in the first place. 11 days ago you were drunk looking at your son wishing you could provide him a better life. Is walking in the teeth of the beast really your best move at this point? Just as a reminder, here's your post from that night

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ast-night.html
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone's responses and know they are coming from a place of wanting to protect my sobriety.

That said, it's my personality to want to put myself and my Beast right in the thick of things. Everyone who will be there are people that I really like and haven't had a good laugh with in a while.

I don't believe in the above poster's comment re: "planting of seeds." What does that mean? Do I not pass liquor stores and bars every day on my walk home? Do I not know there are plenty of healthy and unhealthy drinkers getting wasted while I abstain? Course I do. Can't I just slip to a store, put a fiver on the counter, get that pint of Giorgi and be done with it? What kind of seeds aren't planted already?

That kind of thinking is for people who "admit powerlessness in the face of their disease." F that.

I am not powerless.

I remember very clearly my post from only 11 days ago, the desperation of it.

Here's the thing though, I don't drink.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I am not powerless.

I remember very clearly my post from only 11 days ago, the desperation of it.

Here's the thing though, I don't drink.
Fair enough, i was only sharing my opinion and my experiences with my first few weeks of sobriety. Best of luck at the party.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Fair enough, i was only sharing my opinion and my experiences with my first few weeks of sobriety. Best of luck at the party.
Scott -

I more than appreciate it. If I came off in any other way then I apologize. My aggression in this matter is purely directed at my Beast.

Thanks, as always, for your comments.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Poke the beast in his blurry red eyeballs if it floats your boat.

Why announce it to the world ahead of time?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Poke the beast in his blurry red eyeballs if it floats your boat.

Why announce it to the world ahead of time?
I've read many a post of yours. Is there a reason you need to ask?

I'm excited to see my Beast suffer. Can't that be enough to share?

Better question for you - if you've got nothing to add to a topic, why post?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Love your post.

I found that once I made the decision not to drink, hanging around with others drinking wasn't going to make me budge. Heck, I quit with my house still over-flowing with alcohol and my bf still drinking. I was LIVING in the barber shop and never got a hair cut, so to speak. I'm sure your current hair cut is fine, no need to be convinced that you'll want one just cause you go to the barber shop with a friend. Especially when you notice that all of the people coming out of the barber shop have BAD haircuts... just like the drinkers will go home from the party and be hungover the next morning. Or risk a DUI or an accident or sleeping with somebody they didn't mean to or...

I also found that truly watching other drinkers drinking provided many insights for me and made me THANKFUL that I wasn't drinking. It's nice to be sober. It's nice to be thinking clearly. It's nice to know you're not going to wake up with a hangover and they are!! (Maybe it's a little wrong to say that, but whatever...). It's nice knowing that you can make a choice not to drink. It's nice when you sit there and at the end of the evening think, "If I'd been drinking, I would have downed 15 drinks by now. I'm so glad I don't drink anymore." It's nice to think, I'm drinking WATER and it's GOOD for me!

And it's just baffling when you notice a few people that just have one and are happy at that and you know that isn't you.

I think it's great that you're going for your friends birthday. There is no reason why we should have to feel that we have to give up social events on top of giving up alcohol.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't believe in the above poster's comment re: "planting of seeds." That kind of thinking is for people who "admit powerlessness in the face of their disease." F that.
Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure you have no clue what "kind of thinking" I use to combat my alcoholism. We're talking about your situation in this thread, not mine. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure you have no clue what "kind of thinking" I use to combat my alcoholism. We're talking about your situation in this thread, not mine. Good luck.
No question. Didn't mean to insinuate that you had used or not used any particular method, or that any method would work or not work for someone else. We each most certainly have our own roads to walk. I was just debunking (solely for myself or for people who this type of approach appeals to) the idea that one can't find a cure - by just quitting.

And thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I've read many a post of yours. Is there a reason you need to ask?
I was wondering if you were doing a sort of self pep talk. My apologies if you found that an unuseful avenue for discussion. Enjoy your party.