Notices

Seeking Help and HIPAA

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking Help and HIPAA

Hi all. I have a question for you guys about HIPAA and privacy between healthcare providers.

I am currently seeing a therapist, and I want to tell her about an evolving substance abuse problem that I'm starting to acknowledge. But I've read some stuff about HIPAA that says a therapist may contact a primary care physician or prescribing doctor without a client's consent in order to coordinate care. I also read that I can request that my therapist refrain from doing this, but she is not legally required to honor my request. This is the only thing that is stopping me from opening up and getting help.

For a multitude of reasons, I am not ready for my doctor to know that this is something I am facing. I want to talk it out with my therapist first, even if it's just a single session, so I can figure out what to do. I am afraid that she will take away my freedom to choose my own recovery path by going straight to my doctor and telling him what's going on.

Do you guys have any idea if what I've read about HIPAA is true? It's all very vague and I've also read things that say the opposite, so I really don't know.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's probably a question for a lawyer Ghostie.

All that aside, you control your recovery path, not your doctor. If you don't agree with what your doctor prescribes, find a different doctor.

And i have to say that while the scenario you describe might somehow be technically possible, it seems very far-fetched and almost paranoid to an extent. Has anything ever happened in the past to suggest that your therpaist would contact your primary care physician without your knowledge? If so I'd be finding a different therapist ASAP.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it is true that medical professionals can share information with other medical professionals if they feel that this is necessary for your overall health and medical care.

Are you abusing the drugs that your primary doctor is prescribing and you are afraid the therapist will rat you out and then you can't get your meds?

If that is the case then this may happen. As a medical professional they are responsible for your care so they are not going to let you continue to abuse prescription drugs if you flat out admit that is what you are doing.

If that is not your concern, then...

Yes, it is true that medical professionals can share information BUT from what I have seen, most do not.

If we see this it most often happens for A) patient re-locates and finds a new doctor and then they can request all the medical information from the old doctor B) patient goes into long term care and the patient is now under the care of the LTC physician so they request the medical records for the new doctor C) patient has multiple diagnosis and medical issues and they have multiple doctors and D) the patient just changes doctors for whatever reason and the new information is requested but even in this case it most often is not unless the patient requests this.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
oak

I agree with what others wrote. It's unlikely that your therapist would tell your doctors- especially if you ask your therapist not to. Even though therapists can consult without a Release of Information signed by you, they usually don't. It's considered best practice to get a signed Release.

Does your therapist work in the same clinic or HMO as your doctor? That might increase the chances of them talking.

I have seen lots of therapists, and none of them has ever talked to my doctor.

You can also ask your therapist about confidentiality and get a sense of whether or not you feel comfortable opening up to him/her. Especially since you might be open to working up to telling your doctor, I think you are safe in talking to your therapist.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

if you cannot trust your therapist I don't really see much sense in going to them