Notices

Relapsed..but starting AGAIN

Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed..but starting AGAIN

I haven't posted for a while because I've RELAPSED. I went back to drinking after a week of soberity. I felt really good and said to myself: I feel great now, I'm just going to have a glass of red wine with my meal, I'll manage that...one glass of red ended up the whole bottle and some more..and then to my biggest surprise I didn't even feel tipsy that night and this is what really scared me. I used to drink 1/2 - 1 bottle of wine every night before (for several years) and now I can drink twice of that amount and I don't even feel it???

Today is my (critical) 4th day and so far I didn't have any significant widthrawal symptoms until now. Now I feel dizzy, disoriented, anxious and can hardly speak a coherrent sentence. Is this normal having such strong withdrawal symptoms starting AFTER 3 days?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Seashell,

Everyone is different and I am not a doctor but my withdrawals from a drinking bender usually lasted 4 to 5 days with the 3rd or 4th day being the worst.

In my opinion 1/2 - 1 bottle of wine is not very much and I am a petite female. I used to drink 3/4 bottles per day sometimes toward the end of my drinking career!

Just from experience, I am sure that part of what is causing your withdrawals is guilt and anxiety. The best thing you can do is force yourself to drink some water and eat something. If you have anything like valium around I would take one and try to sleep (assuming you are not at work today and do not have any addictions to that type of substance).

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. Your body has a ton of toxins to process without the dulling effect of the booze. Drink a ton of water and take vitamins. Do some exercise to sweat out the poison. Eat fresh food.

Today is day 13 for me, woke up with a hangover-like headache...still detoxing from 35 years of swill.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about the withdrawal symptoms. Your body and mind need to dry out and you'll just feel woozy. Eat a lot of rounded meals and drink lots of water. Keep some candy on hand to stave off cravings. Don't miss sleep and don't hang around people who are drinking. Probably a good idea to pour out your booze too - all of it including the hidden bottle in your golf bag or laundry room Learn from this experience - if you are an alcoholic, you will not be able to moderate. You simply can't drink like "normal" people. This is a disease that is progressive but there is treatment. I would recommend you check out some options for a meeting or with a therapist. God bless.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips :-) My biggest problem is the everyone drinks around me. (I live in Germany) home of great beer which is cheeper than bottled water...

@ susasober1
The 1/2 bottle I used to drink on my detoxing days...the norm was a bottle and on the weekend 1,5 - 2 bottles.
@ Climber122
I have no booze left in the house, that was the first thing I got rid of :-)
@ whipster - I've always eaten well, took mega doses of vitamins (B's)and did some excercise in the past to counteract the effects of drinking. But deep down I always knew that I can't continue drinking like this.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you are back working for sobriety again Seashell. Withdrawal symtoms do vary greatly from person to person, and they can get much worse with subsequent detoxes. Be safe and do see a doctor if you feel the symptoms are getting worse.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Seashell

I second Scott's advice - if you feel concerned see a Dr - it's actually not as much to do with volume at all - that's a common fallacy.

Best to get check out by a professional if you're worried.

whats your plan to stay sober?

D
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back seashell, plenty of water, I've found what's helped me is lemon squeezed into hot water that's helped me and im 48hours since my lAst drink! Also some sugar sweeties help! If you feel like things get worse speak to a doctor