Notices

Not sure how to take care of this

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how to take care of this

I went to an Oral Surgeon on Thursday. I walked out with a treatment plan that will cost me $30,000.00 and that is only for his portion of the work. My dentist is also involved, and his fees will be somewhere around $10,000.00 I really am not sure how I will be able to afford this. This is what happens when your parents leave you to fend for yourself. This is why it is so important to take your children to the dentist and to address any issues immediately. As much as I have brushed, flossed, and took care of my teeth, the bone in my mouth is non existent. I have genetic Periodontal disease. I am not scared to lose my teeth, because I already lost many when I was 26. I am scared of not being able to afford new teeth because of the astronomical cost. I have looked for grants, and contests, and even looking into a loan. There is no way on gods green earth that I will walk around without teeth. My teeth were beautiful. So, I wanted to talk about this before I went and threw myself in a puddle of water, or threw myself into some unhealthy behavior that would leave me in trouble. I understand I didn't mention alcohol/ drugs in this post. I just need support, or ideas. :rotfxko

Mizzuno
Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ouch, that's a pretty big bill. Have you shopped it around at all? Have you looked into any sliding scale clinics, or perhaps (as scary as it may sound) a teaching hospital or somewhere similar.

Maybe look into getting the expensive procedures done in Canada or another country with less expensive health costs?

Otherwise, Clamp down on all expenses, and save up some money, offer cash for a huge discount.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure where you are in Cali, but even Mexico is not out of the question if you look carefully.

Try a couple more dentists, the prices vary greatly between them.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
Ouch, that's a pretty big bill. Have you shopped it around at all? Have you looked into any sliding scale clinics, or perhaps (as scary as it may sound) a teaching hospital or somewhere similar.

Maybe look into getting the expensive procedures done in Canada or another country with less expensive health costs?

Otherwise, Clamp down on all expenses, and save up some money, offer cash for a huge discount.
Right now I have opened up dialogue with the surgeon through email. I am asking him what is necessary, and what is not. I have to have bone grafting on the top in order for anything to hold. He has suggested 12 implants and bridges. I looked into other states, not countries. All of this will take about 18 months to accomplish. I looked around on the web and have seen the same pricing. I made a video yesterday and sent it to a dentist in Utah asking for his help. His office is running a contest. I am desperate for a solution.
I am frightened.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find a solution to this problem.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also, when taking out a loan, the monthly fee alone to pay it back will be $800-$1400.00. I am a full time student and I work. This payment is not a possibility for most people.
Holy crap.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did have a friend who had his dental work done in mexico. He spent a little over 2 grand on $15,000 worth of work. His teeth look pretty good. I'm always a little weary of work done outside the country, but its likely better than nothing.

I'm sure you looked into Medicaid, I don't know if they have anything of use. Also talk to non-profits and charities, like the Shriners, (I know they mostly cover children, but they might be able to point you in a good direction).

You might have to get a loan, and just buckle down and pay it off ASAP. At least rates are good right now.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Also, when taking out a loan, the monthly fee alone to pay it back will be $800-$1400.00. I am a full time student and I work. This payment is not a possibility for most people.
Holy crap.
If you're a full time student, you might be able to qualify for medical insurance or assistance through your college.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did have a friend who had his dental work done in mexico. He spent a little over 2 grand on $15,000 worth of work. His teeth look pretty good. I'm always a little weary of work done outside the country, but its likely better than nothing.

I'm sure you looked into Medicaid, I don't know if they have anything of use. Also talk to non-profits and charities, like the Shriners, (I know they mostly cover children, but they might be able to point you in a good direction).

You might have to get a loan, and just buckle down and pay it off ASAP. At least rates are good right now.
Mexico is where it is at. I think I will look into this. Shriners? Yes, i will look into them also. I was thinking about a fundraiser of some sort. Carwashing? I dont know. Thank you for your suggestions, I am writing them down and calling as soon as I can today.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you're a full time student, you might be able to qualify for medical insurance or assistance through your college.
I have dental and medical through my husbands work. We make too much money for assistance, but we really only make enough to pay the bills and to eat. I didn't qualify for any assistance for school, I had to take out loans. We are in the middle bracket.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have dental and medical through my husbands work.
Have you contacted your insurance company at all? Oral surgery, especially for a genetic/degenerative condition sometimes falls under health insurance vs. dental ( which generally pays much less ).

If nothing else the insurance company might have some advice on alternate payment options, negotiations, etc..
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have dental and medical through my husbands work. We make too much money for assistance, but we really only make enough to pay the bills and to eat. I didn't qualify for any assistance for school, I had to take out loans. We are in the middle bracket.
That's always rough, I'm in the lower middle bracket, and we really just scrape by as well. Fortunately our kids our insured for everything, but we're screwed if something happens to me or my wife.

It seems you have to be rich or poor these days...

Your husbands medical and dental won't help with this? Or is the $40k on top of what the insurance covers?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have not thought about medical insurance. I thought all of this was cosmetic and that they would not cover. It does not hurt to call and see what they will say. Thank you for this suggestion.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Have you contacted your insurance company at all? Oral surgery, especially for a genetic/degenerative condition sometimes falls under health insurance vs. dental ( which generally pays much less ).

If nothing else the insurance company might have some advice on alternate payment options, negotiations, etc..
That is what I was thinking, oral surgery of this nature seems like it would fall under health insurance.

Also, talk to the accounting division of a hospital, they may work out a payment plan for you, and they should have an oral surgeon on staff.

Now this option would probably be significantly more than an office visit, but they may offer some loan forgiveness as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What Scott said in his post. Oral surgery usually falls under your medical insurance plan, and not the dental plan. Have you talked with your insurance company or looked at your policy? If not, get on the phone ASAP. You may be getting yourself worked up over something that is not as big a problem as you think.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have not thought about medical insurance. I thought all of this was cosmetic and that they would not cover. It does not hurt to call and see what they will say. Thank you for this suggestion.
Tell them its causing you pain and discomfort.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Contact the University that trains dental students...very often they have clinic settings where a case such as your would be used for training. Please understand that the work would be performed by a full fledged dentist who is training dental students, the students would assist and observe.

Oral Surgeons are usually MDs (i think) a lot of the work you need done for bone grafting needs to be done in the hospital as it sounds like full surgery. also there is a possibility of infection and a waiting period for the graft to heal before the implants could be anchored.

see what UCLA or any of the big schools have...

good luck, I feel for you.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mizzuno, call your medical insurance provider as soon as you can, treatment of periodontal disease is almost certainly not cosmetic.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am so happy that I posted. I will call medical this afternoon and see what they say. I like the fundraiser idea that Jenny posted. I sent out a video already. We are figuring this out. When I say WE, I mean all of you. I was at a bit of a stand-still thinking about $40,000.00 and my middle bracket existence. All of these suggestions will lead me to the answer. So, call insurance, fundraiser, call dental schools, call mexico, call Shriners, send out a viral video....Keep the faith. Possibly take out a loan and get a co-signer. Call the hospital. Plead with the dentist. Maybe someone will take me on as a Pro-Bono case. YES! The Universe and powers that be will say YES!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Please be very very careful about having any type of surgery done in a different country. They have varying standards of care and after care. You should make your doctor here aware of what will be done THERE, and get after surgery follow-up care HERE to be cauteous.\

and I agree that a lot of your work might be covered by your medical insurance carrier, especially the hospital care and bone graft. (i did not realize you had any insurance)