Notices

Not sure how to take care of this

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Mizzuno, I'm getting orthagnathic surgery in the next year or so. It's a combo of functional issues (TMJ) and cosmetic... I'll be using CareCredit to help finance it. But yours definitely sounds like it's more medically necessary... I'd think you could get coverage for it... way more than my insurance is going to cover. Definitely look into oral surgery insurance coverage, and I am looking into those supplemental insurance plans...

Check out CareCredit. It's a loan and not a donation, but it could pick up the slack where your donations leave off.

You can use your video and upload it into the donations website.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Miz, I just need to say; that it upsets me vary much health care, dental work, etc. are THAT expensive in this country!!! I wish you all the best -I
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Forgot about carecredit . . .

Either way, please keep us updated, I'm curious how this turns out . . .
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would recommend you get a second and possibly a third opinion.

Anytime you have a major procedure like that you should get at least a second opinion.

I have been to good dental people and bad dental people.

Please talk to some new dental people. Believe it or not you can actually find decent dental services using Yelp.

Also, you might ask you primary doctor if they know of any dentists to recommend.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In the UK there is a growing trend of people going to bulgaria to get dental work done. Apparently the cost of flying out there, including for after care is cheaper than having the work done in the UK. Mexico sounds good, but maybe try and get a recommendation.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

As for surgery in another country. I am not too keen on this. The current surgeon and my dentist are in close contact with one another regarding my case. They went to lunch and devised a plan for me. I agree that getting a second and third opinion is necessary. I'm going to my dentist on Thursday to talk about all of this, and to have a cavity filled. I know that the answer will come in time. The sooner the better.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Mizz. I have a family member that went through a somewhat similar situation and all but $2k was paid for by her major medical. I would think, a reputable oral surgeon would have advised you of this and contacted your insurance company with the information that, from your post, is clearly at least partially a medical condition.

If it were me? I'd contact the oral surgeon and ask them why they want you to hand over 20K and not go through your insurance company. Makes me go, hmmmmm.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks recieved. They ran the dental and told me that $1000.00 was covered. Then the rest was on me. This is medical. Implants are cosmetic right? I would get the implants to hold the appliances in though.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Implants are cosmetic right?
They can be, but if they are done solely to replace all of your teeth due to a degenerative condition than I'd say it's medical. You need teeth to eat!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There must be some help available through various state, federal and local agencies to provide you with some assistance with your teeth and other problems. Contact your various social services reps or, if you are a student, your college service providers. If you have no money you can still get help.

W.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks recieved. They ran the dental and told me that $1000.00 was covered. Then the rest was on me. This is medical. Implants are cosmetic right? I would get the implants to hold the appliances in though.
That's kind of a tricky one. If the implants are just because you don't want dentures then I would think yes, it's cosmetic. However, if you HAVE to have implants because you don't have enough bone to hold dentures I would think that would be a different critter altogether. I'm relatively certain your medical insurance company would send you to one of their oral surgeons to confirm the diagnosis of your oral surgeon.

My relative didn't need any implants, she did however require two years of preoperative realigning of her teeth in order to go through the oral surgery necessary which was for jaw realigning and upper palate bone grafting.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We have a large Lebanese community here in my area. Many of them take trips back home periodically, often for dental work. Most say they can fly to Beirut, get dental work completed and fly home cheaper than the Dentist across the street.

I would assume the same holds true in Mexico if you know where to go.

OOps .. hypochondriac beat me to it.

I saw a PBS show a while ago about cataract surgery in Africa I believe. Drs would come to the rural communities and do production line surgeries in school gyms. Cost about @$1.50.

Look around... ask around . Good luck.

Bob R
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Did you talk with your medical insurance provider? Also talk with your oral surgeon's office. If you have medical insurance with a major carrier like Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Kaiser, the office will probably know what is covered and what isn't.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
In the UK there is a growing trend of people going to bulgaria to get dental work done. Apparently the cost of flying out there, including for after care is cheaper than having the work done in the UK. Mexico sounds good, but maybe try and get a recommendation.
I don't know about Bulgaria but I would think twice about having my teeth done in Transylvania, particularly after sundown.

W.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I called the office and asked if they could run this on medical. I was told that if it was congenital then yes it is a medical expense. I looked up congenital disease, and you have to be born with a disease to have this covered. My grandmother, mother and brother including myself all have periodontal disease. The only way for anything to hold in my mouth is from implants and bone grafting. I am waiting to hear back from the office.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Are there any dental schools near you? When I lived in Long Island there was a college (Stonybrook) where you could have dental work (big and small) done for little to nothing by dental students. Of course, dentists were there for all procedures...
Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey mizz, Mexico prob closer but here in nz lots people go to India or Thailand for work too. Our dentist prices are also astronomical. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Glad you are going to get a second opinion. I agree that this is very important here.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

I went to an Oral Surgeon on Thursday. I walked out with a treatment plan that will cost me $30,000.00 and that is only for his portion of the work. My dentist is also involved, and his fees will be somewhere around $10,000.00 I really am not sure how I will be able to afford this. This is what happens when your parents leave you to fend for yourself. This is why it is so important to take your children to the dentist and to address any issues immediately. As much as I have brushed, flossed, and took care of my teeth, the bone in my mouth is non existent. I have genetic Periodontal disease. I am not scared to lose my teeth, because I already lost many when I was 26. I am scared of not being able to afford new teeth because of the astronomical cost. I have looked for grants, and contests, and even looking into a loan. There is no way on gods green earth that I will walk around without teeth. My teeth were beautiful. So, I wanted to talk about this before I went and threw myself in a puddle of water, or threw myself into some unhealthy behavior that would leave me in trouble. I understand I didn't mention alcohol/ drugs in this post. I just need support, or ideas. :rotfxko

Mizzuno
Holy crap, that is a large bill. Are you sure that is the only plan of action, from that one dentist office? You may want to shop around and see if you can get a better deal or find a sliding scale dentist, that is based on your income. That is way to much money!!! For that you could get a facelift, lipo, and toss in some new eyelids, lol.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I'm so sorry you got this news!! Sending good thoughts for great solutions your way. Also look in to technical schools, the one here has a dental program that I'm told is very reasonable. Can you barter at all? Work in the office filing or answer phones after hours?
Maybe you could set it up in stages and work it off?