Notices

Almost 3 months Sober, again.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Almost 3 months Sober, again.

Had 3 months sober November, December 2012 and January 2013, relapsed February 1st but then got completely sober again April 6th and have been sober since.

I didn't make this post for people to congratulate me, but rather to ask a question.

My drug of choice was opiates and I have heard from many people the PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal symptoms) can last awhile, up to a year even. I think I may be experiencing this and I just wanted some feedback on what i am experiencing. Basically I feel like I have no emotions, I'm not really sad or depressed ever, sometimes I am but 90% of the time I would say I am pretty numb.

I believe this is also interfering with my relationships and my passions aswell. I used to be very creative and funny. I'd make hilarious random videos that people would love on youtube. I also used to write rap lyrics aswell, but all of these skills I seem to be missing. I cant think of anything of meaning to write lyrics about, nor can I create witty humor. My relationship with my girlfriend aswell has suffered because I can't really express how I feel about her and other certain things because most of the time I'm not really feeling anything - or if I am i'm not aware of it.

So I guess my question is could this be a symptom of PAWS? Or could it be because I'm just getting older? I just turned 20 and the last time I remember having the skills and feelings I mentioned above was probably 4 years ago, before I was heavily into drugs. I just hope they will one day come back.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Fallen Alien

what they call adhedonia (the inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable) is pretty common in people with long term substance abuse.

My drug was alcohol but it took me a good 4-5 months to even start to feel some enjoyment again, and longer still to get my creative skills back..

It will happen...but sometimes we need to be patient I think?

Of course if you feel this can't wait or if this is really worrying you, the best thing to do is see a Dr - that way you can make sure there's no other causes behind this.

congrats on your nearly 3 months
D
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was a drinker, never did opiates but I can say that at three months sober I certainly was not feeling like myself. I know time frames are different for everyone but at about 6 months I really started getting back into the things I enjoy, having fun again, looking forward to things, having good feelings. People in AA have told me we can sometimes suffer with PAWS for up to one year. I don't know what the medical opinion is but you could run it by your Dr. Getting sober took a toll on me physically and mentally but I am so happy I stuck it out because at 7.5 months I can honestly say that I feel like I am getting to know myself. Congrats on 3 months and keep going!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi FallenAlien -

Congrats on near 3 months! It takes a while for the brain to recalibrate, but with continued sobriety it will happen.

My DOC is alcohol & my emotions were definitely affected by PAWS at 3 months, and inability to regulate emotions is definitely a PAWS symptom. Exercise, multi-vitamin, fish oil, sleep all seemed to help. Keeping a journal has been helpful for me to see the progress.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by FallenAlien View Post
Had 3 months sober November, December 2012 and January 2013, relapsed February 1st but then got completely sober again April 6th and have been sober since.

I didn't make this post for people to congratulate me, but rather to ask a question.

My drug of choice was opiates and I have heard from many people the PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal symptoms) can last awhile, up to a year even. I think I may be experiencing this and I just wanted some feedback on what i am experiencing. Basically I feel like I have no emotions, I'm not really sad or depressed ever, sometimes I am but 90% of the time I would say I am pretty numb.

I believe this is also interfering with my relationships and my passions aswell. I used to be very creative and funny. I'd make hilarious random videos that people would love on youtube. I also used to write rap lyrics aswell, but all of these skills I seem to be missing. I cant think of anything of meaning to write lyrics about, nor can I create witty humor. My relationship with my girlfriend aswell has suffered because I can't really express how I feel about her and other certain things because most of the time I'm not really feeling anything - or if I am i'm not aware of it.

So I guess my question is could this be a symptom of PAWS? Or could it be because I'm just getting older? I just turned 20 and the last time I remember having the skills and feelings I mentioned above was probably 4 years ago, before I was heavily into drugs. I just hope they will one day come back.
Its PAWS, and it sucks, but its part of the process of recovery. With Opiate addiction, PAWS can last up to 10 years and ranges in severity. With alcohol, its 1-2 years...........sometimes more. Your brain chemicals are all messed up, but are frantically trying to realign and level out. This takes time and while its happening you can go from being numb, to crying at commercials, to laughing at horror movies. Try and not think about it too much, because it will pass. Congrats on your sobriety!!! All your creativity and personality traits you loved will come back. Mine really started showing up around 6 months, and continue to emerge. I am thrilled, as I think you will be as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more time to heal and to feel normal. If things don't normalize in a couple months, then see your doctor for a checkup.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

FallenAlien Almost 3 months Sober, again? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. People I have talked to who were addiction to opiates, cocaine, alcohol, pretty much the broad spectrum of substances, said opiates were the most powerfully addicting of them all. I quit cigarettes a little over a year ago and I still have big cravings to light one up. Almost 3 years no booze, goin on 2 years no cocaine, and I'm still not comfortably straight, although I've proven to myself that I am better off not using. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My doc was alcohol and at 3 months I was also totally numb. I would second seeing your doctor and being honest. My doc put me on anti-depressants,even though I didn't think I was depressed,just numb. They were immediately effective and a life saver. I'm not giving medical advice or suggesting this to you,of course, just seeing a doc really can help
Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

It will all return! Keep giving time time and keep healing.

Not sure how long it will take as everyone is different, but it will return!!