Notices

couldnt make it

Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

couldnt make it

Well Friday was going into day 6 of sobriety and I thought I could make it through however it didnt happen. Then yesterday came and things got worse. Not as bad as last weekend but bad enough. Now Im starting over. I seemed to be able to make it through the week ok however when the weekend hits trouble starts. Not sure what I can do different next weekend.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe this week you can contemplate why you decided to drink and set up a plan to help you stay sober next weekend. Wishing you the best!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you attending AA meetings, Steven ??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You could've made it. You chose not to make it. Next weekend you can choose to make it.

That's not a judgment. I've fallen off the wagon so many times the horses know the sound of my butt hitting the trail. I don't point fingers at anyone. But it was never the weekend's fault I got lit. It was never some mystical trouble starting on Friday that I couldn't control. I poured alcohol into my face - that's why it happened.

When I wanted different outcomes, I started doing different things.

Best of luck!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You got the "want to" ..but there's some problems with your "willing to" do whatever it takes to not drink.
Get a plan...write out alternatives to drinking..seek ways to fill your space..what will you do when your ticked off at someone? Frustrated? Angry? Sad or hurt? Want to celebrate?
Put some thought and effort behind your "want to". Call an addictions counsellor..go to AA...figure out where you went wrong before last weekend..and don't do it again. Do whatever it takes.
All the best.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you for starting over. I relapsed many times before it seemed to "take". I agree with others...what are you going to do differently this time around? If you haven't tried AA I definitely recommend that. On Friday night I attended a meeting and although the meeting only lasted 1 hour, I stayed on for 2.5 hours just chatting with people. By the time I got home it was so late that there wasn't any time to drink anyway.

Make lots of plans to stay super duper busy. Movies, yard work, old projects that need attention. During this time of year I like to check out house open houses or garden walks. Whatever works. Keep coming back here and reading/posting. Best wishes, PG
Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know sometimes it feels like these things are out of our control. I felt that way too. But gradually with practice I started to see where I was falling down. I have a much better awareness of my thoughts and feelings and how to tackle them now rather than just acting on instinct all the time. A lot of that was down to things I learnt from AVRT. SMART recovery is also something that continues to help me. I hope you find a way to stay sober next weekend x
Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you considered a program of some kind?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure what I can do different next weekend.
Not being funny, but not drinking would be a great start.

You have a whole week to make a plan for next weekend Steven - start now

D
Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Steven. That same thing happened to me many times. Those temptations were a lot to handle. I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to take part in that pointless weekend ritual. I rose above the desire to get numb - it was no fun anymore and only led to regret. You can do it too.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Steven,
Next weekend do not pick up the first drink. Period.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hindsite is 20/20 and had I known everytime I failed that I should try harder and find a meeting it would have been so easy. It's not. I knew what I should do but never followed thru. It took me a loooong time to get to the point in my mind where I really wanted to stop. I mean, really wanted to stop. It took years.
When I quit the very last time I signed up for a rehab program. I put my heart into it. I found local meetings and again put my heart into it. My world revolved around recovery.
I spent a good month or so basically alone...learning how to deal with me before I could deal with people and life outside my bubble.
It'll happen...try again.
Wishing you peace.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steven567 View Post
Not sure what I can do different next weekend.
Plan ahead to be doing something specific that doesn't involve alcohol. Go for a hike, bike ride, work around the house, visit with friends who don't drink. Make sure you are prepared to get through next weekend.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also made the wrong choices on the weekend and drank after 2 weeks sober. I have more challenges coming next weekend, and like others have recommended I am starting to plan ahead and recommit to sobriety so that I make the right choice next time.

Good luck- we can do this!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful

I didn't have a problem with weekends my last 2 years of drinking since I drank ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I used to have problems with getting through the weekends when I first quit drinking 23 years ago. I wouldn't recommend the solution I came up with, but if you wait long enough to get / stay sober it might happen for you anyway.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

I really am serious too. This disease is progressive. Struggling on weekends will eventually lead to struggling every hour of every day. By the time I got sober 2+ months ago everything was a trigger to drink because I drank nonstop.