Notices

Shame and guilt day after drinking ..

Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shame and guilt day after drinking ..

Does anyone experience feelings of severe guilt and shame after they drink? When I have a drinking session, I turn into this gossiping,back-stabbing, attention-seeking bitch. All the traits I hate! Last night I got drunk and was being a cow about my partner and saying things to our friends that I shouldn't of. I thought I was being premature coming on here and of course I could just have a couple... Ha!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Yeah, I was never proud of anything I did when I was drunk. It got worse as I got worse and I knew I couldnt wake up like that anymore. I made a joke of myself, and the only way to fix it was through my actions. Getting sober, saying that way, and regaining my dignity and confidence.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
Yeah, I was never proud of anything I did when I was drunk. It got worse as I got worse and I knew I couldnt wake up like that anymore. I made a joke of myself, and the only way to fix it was through my actions. Getting sober, saying that way, and regaining my dignity and confidence.
It takes a bottom to rebuild. Just keep sober and your life will change so this stuff is a distant memory
Don't be hard on yourself either .
Two things kept me drunk were guilt of the past or fear of the future.
Just enjoy life one day at a time
Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Myrtle1 and welcome!

I certainly wasn't my best either when I drank. I haven't made an a** of myself one time since I quit drinking. It wasn't always easy quitting but it was so worth it.

There is a great group of people here. I found I had a lot in common with them.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myrtle1 View Post
Does anyone experience feelings of severe guilt and shame after they drink? When I have a drinking session, I turn into this gossiping,back-stabbing, attention-seeking bitch. All the traits I hate! Last night I got drunk and was being a cow about my partner and saying things to our friends that I shouldn't of. I thought I was being premature coming on here and of course I could just have a couple... Ha!
Most alcoholics have low self esteem, just imagine getting up for years and years each morning sort of hungover, or well hungover, or just plain old groggy, going into work etc....and feeling like crap because of what you drank, possibly said or even thought or even did. The total embarrassment of it all, that is what you have become an alcoholic but you can't bear to think that you are that.....therefore it is much easier for you to think of yourself as a nothing, a nobody a person who is not worth it.....and here is the kicker.....the alcohol you drink daily gives you back that buzz, your confidence, makes you feel great, you can say anthing You want, do anything etc, no problem is too big. Repeat this cycle for years and years and you will have one messed up person. Also you are probably have feelings of being a total fake and guilty of what you are but can't man up to the fact. I felt a fake and etremely guilty in terms of my familiy life and work life.... Such strong guilty feelings for years when I look back on it. Hiding my drinking, it controlled me and was more important than work or familiy......what I mean is that my familiy and work had to fit around my drinking......and the drinking fitted around me and controlled me......how I felt, how I behaved, who I was......everything.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to have shame and guilt after I drank but since I quit drinking I don't have that anymore.