Notices

headed out on vacation

Old 06-22-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking headed out on vacation

Today is day 2 of being sober and I already feel so much better. Yesterday I read Craig Beck's "Alcohol lied to me" book and it was really good, a lot like Allen Carr's EasyWay book. So unarguably true. Tomorrow we are leaving for a week's vacation. We have rented a cabin on a lake and we are taking our boat. I have never been on the boat without drinking; it just goes together (I don't drive it). But you know what? I am not even worried about it. I feel like this will be a great opportunity for me to have fun without drinking. My husband will be drinking, but he'll be the only one. Our three teenagers don't drink, and I look at them and realize I don't need to drink to have fun either. So I think it will be great. My husband is a little uncomfortable. He said, why don't you wait until after vacation to stop drinking? Well, because then there's a birthday party, and then it's the 4th of July, and yada yada yada. There isn't any better time than now! I will check in next week and let everyone know how it went! Please send positive energy my way! Alexa
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can Do it!
its tough, but not that tough.

I just got back from a vacay that I didn't drink on...think dock lake, summer. Tough to not associate a beer with that, but I did it.

just keep yourself busy, read the forums on your phone, tablet, laptop whatever!

and IF you can't, its a vacation, there has to be lots of activities to keep your mind and hands Idle.

I liked to think of it as a "Detox Vacation" or "Rejuvenation trip" and it made me smile.
Soak up the sun and vitamin D, Drink lots of delicious water (always tastes better on vacation) and celebrate every sober day and early hangover free morning!

have fun,
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! What a great message! Rejuvenation trip is an awesome way to think of it! I'm going to tell my husband, pretend I'm pregnant and I can't drink, LOL. He is not much of a drinker. But I know he will want to drink some on vacation. I'm not going to be like lecturing him or giving him a hard time, but he may be afraid I will.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlexaDaly View Post
Today is day 2 of being sober and I already feel so much better. Yesterday I read Craig Beck's "Alcohol lied to me" book and it was really good, a lot like Allen Carr's EasyWay book. So unarguably true. Tomorrow we are leaving for a week's vacation. We have rented a cabin on a lake and we are taking our boat. I have never been on the boat without drinking; it just goes together (I don't drive it). But you know what? I am not even worried about it. I feel like this will be a great opportunity for me to have fun without drinking. My husband will be drinking, but he'll be the only one. Our three teenagers don't drink, and I look at them and realize I don't need to drink to have fun either. So I think it will be great. My husband is a little uncomfortable. He said, why don't you wait until after vacation to stop drinking? Well, because then there's a birthday party, and then it's the 4th of July, and yada yada yada. There isn't any better time than now! I will check in next week and let everyone know how it went! Please send positive energy my way! Alexa
Have a fantastic sober vacation...
Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! What a great message! Rejuvenation trip is an awesome way to think of it! I'm going to tell my husband, pretend I'm pregnant and I can't drink, LOL. He is not much of a drinker. But I know he will want to drink some on vacation. I'm not going to be like lecturing him or giving him a hard time, but he may be afraid I will.
my husband also worries about drinking around me - i am nearly done with day 6 and it's not bothering me at the moment. you may find that your hubby doesn't drink as much as a result of you not joining him.

mine admitted yesterday that he will miss me as his beer buddy - but that ain't gonna change so we both have to adjust.

have a fabulous vacation!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

now's the time to stop drinking

He said, why don't you wait until after vacation to stop drinking?

Well, because then there's a birthday party, and then it's the 4th of July, and yada yada yada.

There isn't any better time than now!
you are all so right
if we can stop drinking now
now's the time to stop drinking

for some it takes a hell of a bottom so as to stop
jail
prison
hospital
lost marriage
lost job
or even death
Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

wait, only the person manning the boat will be drinking?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
wait, only the person manning the boat will be drinking?
good catch...missed that.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Back from vacation it went off without a hitch. I didn't drink at all and had no huge cravings to do so. Also, my husband did not drink while driving the boat, LOL, unfortunately like most of the other boaters out there (scary). I think actually that quitting drinking right before vacation was a great move; I'm away from my daily routine of walking in the door and opening a bottle. Now on day 10, we'll see how it goes as I head back to work on Monday! Stress!