Notices

Newbie...

Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie...

Not giving in... well; this will only be day 2 of not giving in but that is my goal. New here, this is my first post. Feeling a bit awkward, not being familiar with how or what to post... been drinking since I turned 21, a functioning alcoholic, at least as functional as an alcoholic can be. I quit drinking here and there throughout the years, my longest dry spell was from October 10, 2011 to February 11, 2013. Since then, I've not been able to stay away from drinking more than 4 days in a row. Even the insane hangovers and wasted time recovering does not convince me on that 4th day to just ride out the craving... My life is so much better when I just don't drink. It seems so easy - yet it has been the greatest struggle of my life. So again, I'm new here, feeling socially awkward but I see the tremendous support in the postings I've read and I really hope to be a part of this wonderful support system

Old 06-22-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just found this site yesterday. Its awesome. I was feeling bad yesterday. After reading and posting I feel great. Good luck
Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you attended AA meetings?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Notgivingin and Sunya, nice to meet you both. You will find lots of support here, please check ouy the other newcomers threads and join in with whatever you want to discuss.

Stay Strong
Ken
Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi notgivingin and sunya, I too only found thus sie yesterday..
Good luck to both of you in your recovery journey.

Take care x
Old 06-22-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Notgivingin

I think a lot of us here can relate to this being the greatest struggle of your life. I have achieved many other things but giving up drinking has been the one that I consider my biggest achievement and the one I value the most. Please don't feel awkward and post as often as you can. I'd recommend joining the Class of June thread x
Old 06-22-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Notgivingin

yeah it seems to be incredibly hard to stop again once we pick up after a break. They say that alcoholism is a progressive thing, even if we're not drinking, and my own experience reflects that too.

As hard as it is to stop tho, it's not impossible

Have you thought of things like a recovery programme (AA or something else) or counselling? even just seeing your Dr may be a start?

D
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Notgivingin. Congratulations on Day 2. I'm glad you realize your life is so much better without alcohol. Some never admit that and keep insisting they can manage it.

When I joined SR I felt comforted by all the support & encouragement. I hope you will too. We are here to help.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sure you'll find SR to be as helpful to you as it is to me.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Notgivingin, 2 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. You are certainly welcome here, SR is a good place to be. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awwe.. I think I'm gonna cry (and I am sober!) Thank you to each and everyone of you for the welcome and support. Every one of your words means so much to me I feel comfy here already... Thank you for all the recommendations and for sharing your thoughts...