Notices

Do not want to break :-(

Old 06-22-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do not want to break :-(

Hi everyone. I'm off to a gathering tonight for my partners dads memorial (therefore I do need to be there for support) There is going to be alcohol there and Im already thinking how am I going to get through this. I am driving however I know in the back of my head I can leave the car and get a cab home. Any suggestions on how to get through the evening? It's that horrible feeling trying to come back to tell me that I do not have a problem just one will be fine. I know 1 will not be fine!!!! Ahhhhh. I hate suffering with this!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Just take the option to drink off the table. You are not there for you. You are there to support your partner. If you're drunk you just compound someone else's problems and grief.

Your AV will chatter all day about it. Your AV is a heartless, immoral, addicted, liar. YOU, on the other hand, know better. Tell it "NO". You can do this.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your alcoholic voice is already trying to sway your decision not to drink ( "I know in the back of my head I can leave the car and get a cab home") leave your cash at home so you have no option to get a taxi back and you have to drive therefore you have to stay sober, in the first few weeks I never left the house with any cash on me or access to money so I had no option to buy any drinks if tempted.

You need to have will power and stick with your decision that you will not drink any alcohol. Remember your goal and what you want to achieve and remember all the misery that goes with drinking, you do not want to compromise your sobriety at all. If you are worried about other people offering you a drink, you could keep a drink in your hand of fizzy water or something non alcoholic that you get yourself if you do not wish to tell people you are not drinking and keep it topped up yourself. If I were you I also wouldnt let anyone else pass me a drink that I had not gotten myself.

You can do this, be strong and keep focused and remember how awful you will feel if you take a drink and try to relax stressing yourself out will only make the situation seem harder. As many people always say if you don't pick up the first drink you cant break and you cant slip up or get drunk.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much guys. This has made me feel so much better. I should let my support for my partner out win my alcoholic voice. That is such great advice about leaving cash at home. Ok I am back to feeling positive about this and know that I can do it! Ahhhh just so bloody hard! I will probably be back here tonight if I get the itch. I do not know what I would do without the support from here
Old 06-22-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Lilly I didn't find the events I'd prepared for that hard to get through. Make sure you go on a full stomach, and grab a large soft drink early on so you have something to hang on to. You can do it, and you'll be so proud of yourself afterwards.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do it! stay strong and keep focused.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...I would be so proud if I did this. If I can do this it means I'm already stronger than I thought!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Lilly88 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm off to a gathering tonight for my partners dads memorial (therefore I do need to be there for support) There is going to be alcohol there and Im already thinking how am I going to get through this. I am driving however I know in the back of my head I can leave the car and get a cab home. Any suggestions on how to get through the evening? It's that horrible feeling trying to come back to tell me that I do not have a problem just one will be fine. I know 1 will not be fine!!!! Ahhhhh. I hate suffering with this!

Yeah, dont drink. Its a choice, and not a hard one if you take your sobriety seriously. Remind yourself why you are there, which is to be supportive. Bring your phone and play a game on it if you need a time out. I learned what my addict voice was pretty quick and learned to just ignore it whenever it started trying to mess with me. I always ask god for strength when I feel I need a boost in life too.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks nighthawk for your words. I read on another post (can't remember who said it) tat somebody named their alcoholic voice after someone they really didn't like and this is what I have done. I would never want this certain person to ever have control over me and it is actually seeming to work. Just parked up waiting for my partner and had a row in the car with that annoying voice. The person in the car next to me must have thought I was strange..but hey I can deal with being strange ;-)
Old 06-22-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you get through OK Lily?

D
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late reply I have been spending the day out at the park with my Neice. I did it! Didn't drink any alcohol - I stayed on the cream soda :-D I had a lovely time as well. This morning waking up felt amazing and remembering everything I did last night. I felt so proud to support my gf and help out with anything that needed doing. Thanks everyone again for the advice. I am so so proud :-)
Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice