Notices

Reaching Out

Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reaching Out

Hello, I've never posted before, but I feel I'm on my last leg here.
I'm 28 yrs old and been dealing with alcohol/substance abuse for over 10 yrs. I'll get clean for a while, but it always creeps back. My father passed away in Nov, my mother is passed too. For the past few months my alcoholism has progressed rapidly. I drink in the morning to "level" out, I drink on my lunch breaks, and then go to the bar after work, or go home and drink...just to be able to "feel". I've been in and out of therapy and in outpatient once. Due to some financial difficulties, unfortunately I cannot afford inpatient rehab as I so need. I know I should walk back through those AA doors. My family does not understand and they shy away from my probs, hoping that I will just magically get better someday. We all just kind of pretend it doesn't exist. This forum is really great and has helped me through some tough times...I have a very hard time with reaching out for help, or just talking about it. I guess I just needed to "put this out there" for a start, for myself. Thats the first step, right? Feeling stuck...
Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dancing - thanks for reaching out.

It is hard to do isn't it? We're all anonymous and yet just typing the first post made my hands shake and it took a lot of deliberation to hit 'post'. Im guessing you went through something similar.

Well done on doing that - and you obviously know that you need to be sober. If you want to you can be with the hard work that goes into it - but it sounds like you can do it to me.

In fact it sounds like that you want to stop drinking more than you want a drink. Stay strong and you can do this!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! The first step to solving a problem is admitting there is one. Give AA a chance to help you if you haven't yet. Many people have gotten sober with AA. There are other ways to get sober too.

REad around the site and post as you like. You've come to a good place for support and understanding.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey DancinbtRealms ,

Sounds like you've got the beginings of a plan there . SR & AA is a combination a lot of people round here seem to use . Why not do it ?

Bestwishes, M
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DancingbtRealms View Post
I know I should walk back through those AA doors.
AA continues to save my life on a daily basis. It likely would yours as well.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The first post here is the hardest. As I composed my first post here I could barely see the screen for the tears of regret and shame.

Thanks for sharing. There is a lot of good information and helpful folks here.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey Dancing, a lot of families prefer not to talk about 'the elephant in the room' but perhaps now is the time to be open and honest and ask them for help. Would your family be able to assist with rehab costs?

If you do not feel you can talk to them just yet, then see your doctor for help coming off your physical addiction. You are young, and you have so much potential, please take this oportunity to turn your life around. Plenty your age do not drink for a variety of reasons, so don't look on it as giving anything up, but of making more of your life. Good luck
Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Dancing. I'm very glad you found us.

I felt so much better when I came here and could open up about my drinking. No one in my life understood what I was going through. We've all been there and want to support your journey to a sober life. You can do it.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! I flirted with sobriety in my 20's and I was soooo much happier... until I relapsed. It's now 10 years later and I wish I had stuck to sobriety back then. You just can't get those years back. Great for you that you're doing this now.

It is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all your kind words of support and encouragement, they have given me strength to not drink since I posted
Today, I have a clear head, thanks so much again. So thankful and blessed for you all and this forum.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad your here.
Welcome to our family!

I think sometimes it is hard for others to understand when they do not suffer from addiction themselves.
It might simple to them - just don't drink so much or cut down.
But its not always a case of that.
Some people have to adjust to a sober life, get used to it.

SR has helped me beyond words.
I think it will help you too.

My best to you
xx