Notices

"You don't have to do this"

Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
^^^brilliant fantail...so true!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Thank you so much for the support and responses. I was so worried I'd post and no one would respond and then I'd wallow more.

Nuudawn - I woke up grumpy this morning for some reason (tired maybe?). Then I had a TON of work to do and I'm reallllllly burned out with my work. Plus my kids are off for the summer so I'm working 60 hours a week while also taking care of them all day. I was feeling a lot of anger today.

I had such a good past couple of days that I had convinced myself that this sobriety thing isn't so hard. I guess if it were easy I wouldn't be an alcoholic. Duh moment for myself.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Yes! I made it without a drink! The urge is gone for now. Whewwww I can't even tell you all how close I was to drinking today. I will be happy when I get a sponsor!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

got to this late - but gee the advice here was great

Glad you're feeling better GE&H

D
Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Going to an AA meeting is the only thing that got the AV to shut up for me
Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

My AV can get really loud and insistent too. What works for me is hitting a meeting or contacting another alcoholic. Failing that, I come here like you've done. Remember that these cravings do not last forever. Yes, you can take a drink but you can never take it back. My only choice is to not drink because when I do, I no longer have a choice. When I crave, I have to look inside myself and ask "what's up? Why is this happening?" So far, i've found that there's a character flaw at work. I'm angry, frustrated, tired of generally discontent. How can I deal with this constructively? I can call someone or go to a meeting that gets me out of my head and helps me to remember that I am useful and can be of help to other people. If i'm frustrated, I can take a break from what i'm doing and read a couple of chapters from a book. The important thing to remember is that we always have options that don't involve drinking. There is no problem that drinking can't make worse. Find a simple activity that can give you a release. Like I said, I like to read and I drink a glass of water or milk. I also like to color like a 6 year old. I manage to stay within the lines a good bit too! Eventually, I settle back into an emotional balance and I find myself generally content again. Is it easy? Sometimes but sometimes it isn't. Do the feelings pass? Eventually they do. Maybe not as soon as I want but there are many things in my life that happen on a schedule not of my choosing. Keep not taking that first drink. You can do it!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post
"You don't have to do this. You don't have to stop drinking, you know."

This is what my AV is telling me today. I can't make it shut up. I don't want my kids to see me crying and now it's telling me the crying will stop if I drink some beer.

I had such good days up until today. This sucks.
Yeah, those days happen, but they are temporary and will show up less and less and you progress. Recognize them as addictive thinking and part of the healing process, and a chance for you to show yourself you wont buckle under the stress. Each time you face those feelings and realize you wont break, the more confident and strong you become. Its a process, but one that is worth it. Tomorrow is a new day, and though I cant guarantee it will be great, I can promise you an all around better life if you stick with sobriety.