Notices

Reduce Not Eliminate

Old 06-21-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Stress is my trigger, there is no doubt about that, so I'm putting plans in place to remove it.

ivehadenoughnow,

just to point out that triggers are not causes.
triggers don't "make you drink".
if they did, no-one could stay sober.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivehadenoughnow View Post
I think I understand her stress, but I don't I guess I feel like it doesn't have to be that way. Houses get lived in, kids don't listen some times, dishes get dirty, carpet gets spilled on, laundry never stops, that is life. I feel like I've stepped up so much to relieve her stressors, yet it never helps, in fact it is getting worse. Lately she has joined me cause she hurt her foot so I have a "wine buddy." We had a rough patch 2 years ago and we are doing really well now, date twice a week, I adore my children and have a wonderful relationship with them. Her stress is at an all time high and I don't know how to help her any more than I am, and I can't handle it.
does she know you feel this way?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ahhhh...yes, I know your struggle well. In fact, I was thinking just a few hours ago about how nice it would be to go and have some drinks at the beach. I've learned, by trial and error, that I cannot do that because once I get a buzz I will stop at NOTHING to keep it. I know this about myself now and it helps that I tried before to moderate and failed because I remember my failed experiments when thoughts like these pop up.

As for what to do during the witching hours I vote for exercise. I also found that going to bed super early helped in the beginning to keep me out of the car and off to the store (although prior to committing to abstinence I would think nothing of going to the store in my pajamas!)

I think you are on your way to a plan to live a sober life - and that life can be however you define it. I know for me, I had to chose none because one or two was never, and will never be, enough for me. I wish that wasn't my truth because I do miss aspects of drinking but it is what it is. I'm learning now how to live with that. 10 months without the exhausting task of thinking about drinking and life is pretty good

Best of luck to you!!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
Stress is my trigger, there is no doubt about that, so I'm putting plans in place to remove it.

ivehadenoughnow,

just to point out that triggers are not causes.
triggers don't "make you drink".
if they did, no-one could stay sober.
Fair enough triggers make me want to drink, I actually pour the glass. Just semantics, but I know what you are saying.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ippochick View Post
does she know you feel this way?
Yes, but probably not to the extent that it impacts me. She said that she is going to go get help for her anxiety, but doesn't ever follow through. I dunno, maybe this is as much as she can do in her current state. I run my company in a 6 hour window so that I can feed kids breakfast each morning so she can exercise. I'm home by 4ish or so, workout, then get dinner ready. I do homework with the two oldest. I do dishes more often than she does. I put big kids to bed, she puts little one down. Weekends she goes with her running group and we disagree about how long she "gets". She seems to think that she paid her dues during the week and she can add-on other stop-offs on the way back so a one hour run turns into 3-4 hours frequently. In some ways I feel like it is mutually beneficial but in other ways I can't help but keep that mental scoreboard. At the office it is "bing, bang, boom." Neat and tidy, simple, organized, efficient. I feel like home is the complete opposite. Uggghg.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

things that need to be planned to deal with.

sure.
i joined a secular recovery forum and participated. this kept me engaged in "recovery" daily. turned out to be a good plan. i'm sober.
i read a ton of recovery stories, about how different people had done it/were doing it.
i planned for upcoming social events and what i'd do/say when someone offered me alcohol.
i gauged my deepest honest feelings about whether i felt "safe" to go to any specific social event. i only needed to stay away from a couple of them, very early on.
i spent time coming up with back-up treats/rewards if the "but it's friday night! come ooon!" internal whine were to start. but turns out i didn't need them. i was okay.
i planned to tell a couple of people after a few weeks. and did.
that kind of stuff.
planning to eliminate some triggers...sure. don't drive past liquor stores at first. add a new weekend activity.
sure.
but triggers...they're just triggers. a knee-jerk thing. if you need to be rid of them in your lifei n order not to drink, ...uh...not even a hermit could avoid them.

planning ahead has been important.
i planned FOR sobriety after i decided. after i understood i wanted it and decided to go get it!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
I wasted a decade trying to drink in moderation. I know I can't. As for using is to de stress, please do not think this is a personal attack, and forgive me if I am way off base, but a couple of times you have mentioned coming home to a stressed wife, does she join you in the wine? If not how does she de stress. Do you share your issues? I feel that from what you are saying, you like to be in control, and because of this, believe you ought to be able to control your drinking. Fine if you are not addicted, not really possible long term if you are. But what is your home life like? Does your wife support you? Do you understand her stress? Do you spend value time together? Do you connect with the kids when you get home? Perhaps your stress relievers are already around you, you are just seeing them as stress providers instead?
Wife is completely in control of house, social calendar, etc by choice.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi ivehadenoughnow! I agree with others that stress is in our bio-toolkit, but when we have trouble turning it off (which I do), then it leads to anxiety, depression. It spins faster and faster. What if you tried something different for 1 week? There are all kinds of breathing exercises and meditations out there that are very accessible, so much so that even a cromag like me can get something out of them on the first go. It could very well be that this is not the thing for you, but why not try it? It's good to push back on our primitive brains when they start to bully our higher brains. Also, a good therapist can do wonders.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Just joining this conversation:

The evening time can be very hectic. I am a mother of two and I would usually start drinking wine as soon as I got the kids home from school in the late afternoon. More recently, however, I'd start drinking beers sometime around 9 am, shower and drink coffee to "sober up" to pick the kids up from school and then head back to the wine while I make dinner and then drink until I pass out. My drinking got significantly worse once I started grad school and felt more stress. Anyway...about you...

What can you do to make your evening times more relaxing? Can you hire a mother's helper to come and help with the kids in the evenings? Perhaps the whole family can go out to a restaurant for dinner once a week? Perhaps helpful and entertaining friends could come by for dinner?

My husband is WAY stressed from work, too, and I get that it's a major drag to be around. Have you discussed with your wife?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again I'vehadenough.

My 2 cents.

I was one of the ones who believed for a long time that if I removed those underlying reasons why I drank, then my problem would be solved.

But I drank for 20 years - some of the reasons I started drinking in my twenties weren't even applicable at 40...but still I drank, because in the intervening years, I'd become an alcoholic.

Also, as the years went on, I had more and more reasons to drink, a list growing all the time, and 'reasons for drinking' I would never get rid of - stress, anger, to fit in socially, pain management, sleeping, boredom, creative inspiration etc etc...

To me drinking a little less alcohol is like drinking a little less poison - technically it may be better for you but you're still poisoning yourself.

Alcohol changed the way I thought and skewed my view of the world. It was so incremental it took me over three months of sobriety to realise that.

If you ultimately decide this, I wish you well I'vehadenough, but even just a little alcohol keeps me changed, keeps me less than who I want to be.

D
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiteFeathers View Post
Just joining this conversation:

The evening time can be very hectic. I am a mother of two and I would usually start drinking wine as soon as I got the kids home from school in the late afternoon. More recently, however, I'd start drinking beers sometime around 9 am, shower and drink coffee to "sober up" to pick the kids up from school and then head back to the wine while I make dinner and then drink until I pass out. My drinking got significantly worse once I started grad school and felt more stress. Anyway...about you...

What can you do to make your evening times more relaxing? Can you hire a mother's helper to come and help with the kids in the evenings? Perhaps the whole family can go out to a restaurant for dinner once a week? Perhaps helpful and entertaining friends could come by for dinner?

My husband is WAY stressed from work, too, and I get that it's a major drag to be around. Have you discussed with your wife?
Yes, it is a drag to be around, and for whatever reason I am weak and let it bring me down with her. I do a lot of things to relax, running, crossfit, cooking, baths, candy crush(yeah I know, I know, lol). My wife is burnt by end of day so she has one goal which is to sit on the couch and vegetate with one reality show after another with her laptop. We do get out Friday nights almost always for dinner and a movie. All of our friends drink, doubt the friends over is a good plan. I really do want to change that window of time for me, because I've never been a morning, noon, and night drinker. Wine goes with TV so I want to avoid the recliner at all costs. In fact I should get rid of it all together.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi again I'vehadenough.

My 2 cents.

I was one of the ones who believed for a long time that if I removed those underlying reasons why I drank, then my problem would be solved.

But I drank for 20 years - some of the reasons I started drinking in my twenties weren't even applicable at 40...but still I drank, because in the intervening years, I'd become an alcoholic.

Also, as the years went on, I had more and more reasons to drink, a list growing all the time, and 'reasons for drinking' I would never get rid of - stress, anger, to fit in socially, pain management, sleeping, boredom, creative inspiration etc etc...

To me drinking a little less alcohol is like drinking a little less poison - technically it may be better for you but you're still poisoning yourself.

Alcohol changed the way I thought and skewed my view of the world. It was so incremental it took me over three months of sobriety to realise that.

If you ultimately decide this, I wish you well I'vehadenough, but even just a little alcohol keeps me changed, keeps me less than who I want to be.

D
If you've seen the progression of the posts you'll see that I'm quite open to sobriety. In fact I should change the title. There is nothing good about alcohol, I wish I never met it.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
Hi ivehadenoughnow! I agree with others that stress is in our bio-toolkit, but when we have trouble turning it off (which I do), then it leads to anxiety, depression. It spins faster and faster. What if you tried something different for 1 week? There are all kinds of breathing exercises and meditations out there that are very accessible, so much so that even a cromag like me can get something out of them on the first go. It could very well be that this is not the thing for you, but why not try it? It's good to push back on our primitive brains when they start to bully our higher brains. Also, a good therapist can do wonders.
I have a 30 minute self-hypnosis cd that I pulled out. I think it worked last time and it has elements of relaxation. Right now the alcohol part is bullying the rest of it and as per my username "i've had enough now."
Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Yes, it is a drag to be around, and for whatever reason I am weak and let it bring me down with her. I do a lot of things to relax, running, crossfit, cooking, baths, candy crush(yeah I know, I know, lol). My wife is burnt by end of day so she has one goal which is to sit on the couch and vegetate with one reality show after another with her laptop. We do get out Friday nights almost always for dinner and a movie. All of our friends drink, doubt the friends over is a good plan. I really do want to change that window of time for me, because I've never been a morning, noon, and night drinker. Wine goes with TV so I want to avoid the recliner at all costs. In fact I should get rid of it all together.
Could counseling work for you? My husband and I have the same discord (probably most couples do, on some level). He comes home and flops on the couch, turns on the TV, pours himself one cocktail after another and literally screams at me if I ask him to help with the evening routine. It's lonely when you feel like you have a partner who is simply not cooperating enough or giving you what you need. That's how I feel, anyway. Wine became my companion during these times.

For me, I'm making sobriety my main priority so that I'll be clearheaded enough to make decisions about what I want to do with my (deeply) unsatisfying marriage. But one thing is for sure, wine wasn't helping.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiteFeathers View Post
Could counseling work for you? My husband and I have the same discord (probably most couples do, on some level). He comes home and flops on the couch, turns on the TV, pours himself one cocktail after another and literally screams at me if I ask him to help with the evening routine. It's lonely when you feel like you have a partner who is simply not cooperating enough or giving you what you need. That's how I feel, anyway. Wine became my companion during these times.

For me, I'm making sobriety my main priority so that I'll be clearheaded enough to make decisions about what I want to do with my (deeply) unsatisfying marriage. But one thing is for sure, wine wasn't helping.
We worked very hard on our marriage, came close to ending it. Alcohol really was unrelated, it is that she was in it for her and I was in it for me. We closed that gap a lot, but I think I fixed my side of the deal and she came not nearly as far. I've fixed a lot of things in my life and I'm a HUGE believe in knowledge and developing new skills so that we can change things in our life. I teach my kids that too. You are correct though wine doesn't fix anything. What is odd is that I can go to dinner and have a glass of wine and then go to the movies and not think about it again. It is the damn recliner . I just told her I wanted to change our nightly pattern. If she would workout with me in the garage each night we'd be set.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Maybe I need to sign up for a race. Whenever I'm training I get much more serious about being prepared for a long run the next day. I don't have anything scheduled until next May but that is too long.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you've seen the progression of the posts you'll see that I'm quite open to sobriety. In fact I should change the title. There is nothing good about alcohol, I wish I never met it.
I saw the progression of the posts later - I'm really glad you've changed from your initial position.

I felt like you did once...I decided to keep the post up and share my experience for others who may be reading and who may feel like you did when you started this thread.

D
Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

If she would workout with me in the garage each night we'd be set.
Sounds like a plan! All the best to you.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
There will come a time when the only option for you is to cold-a** quit or continue down the road of alcoholism. I only say this b/c you sound exactly like me, almost verbatim.
Sounds just like me too. I've spent decades with drinking "rules" but things always went south. Then I'd make a new rule. South again. Things like no drinking on weekdays or no drinking at home or no drinking hard liquor or no drinking more than 4 beers or no drinking before 5:00 pm, etc etc etc. I had a bad day today and was trying to talk myself into a new rule again. Ugh!

I also spent a lot of time in the gym getting very fit (very into weight lifting), started my own very successful business, have two young kids and a spouse. I'm what I think is coined a high functioning alcoholic.

But I'm still an alcoholic. And it got worse the past two years as my stress levels hit a new high. It got to where I can't stop even though I want to. I never hit skid row, got divorced, lost my kids, got a DUI, landed in jail, wrecked my car, lost my job - none of that. But only because I'm lucky and just never got caught. I've learned that I just can't drink at all - rules just don't work for me.

My marriage is far from stellar - my husband and I were separated for a while - but I'm working on me now and I can't let my relationships drive me to drink. I have started AA because my way of quitting has never worked for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide. We're always here to talk. =)
Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I think that marriage, when things are not "in sync", can be a very stressful situation and a huge trigger for many.

My marriage is at a turning point. It has been for a while but I was busy being drunk so I could ignore the issues (among many other things). I've taken sage advice from long time sober folks to not make any life altering decisions in the first year and I'm closing in on that deadline. I feel strong and confident in my sobriety but certainly not looking forward to honestly dealing with the Grand Canyon of distance that has been in my marriage for years.

It is going to be a challenge, but one I will face sober. I feel like my husband, and me, deserve to see this through to whatever resolve with me fully present and accounted for not drunk and stupid. Your marriage challenges will be much easier to solve without the fog of alcohol to cloud your judgement.

Best of luck to you on all fronts...your honesty is appreciated and thanks for sharing.