Notices

Friday is here!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday is here!

Hi everyone! Just checking in as its Friday and tonight I would normally be heading to the pub after work for a night of full on alcohol black outs! My first weekend sober in about 7 years. Tonight I am going home to get a takeaway and watch a film with my partner. Tomorrow is the night of the gathering I am attending... That will be hard. However I am designated driver. I have made a list of everything awful I did during my drunk sessions and also all the people I have hurt and lost. I will take this with me tomorrow incase I get the dreaded itch and read it somewhere peaceful to get my mind back on focus! Not craved yet but like I said have not had the weekend. What's everyone else up to this weekend then?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Today

You can do it! I like the idea about taking a written reminder with you since it can be easy to get caught up in the moment and take that first drink without thinking too much about it.

I made it through last weekend without a drink and hope this weekend goes well. I can't make it to any AA meetings today (scheduling conflicts) but there is one at 11:00 pm that I can make if I have to.

Good luck this weekend and have fun!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done greeneggsandham for getting how far you have already :-) the list does help I have been using it quite alot as when I read each line that sinking stomach feeling of anxiety comes back for a split second which makes me realise I do not want to feel like this the next day after drinking.

How are you finding the aa meetings? Are they helping? There is one held near me in a Friday night...thinking it may be a good idea to pop along!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Lilly - Thank you! I have only been to two meetings so far (two separate locations and groups) and loved them. I'm not an open person or into groups, praying, chanting, religion, organization, etc. but went in with an open mind since clearly my way of quitting has never worked and am so thankful that I did. I get something out of the meetings and am relieved to have people who I can relate to. It really makes me aware that I'm not alone and there are people who genuinely want to help me if I accept their help.

I personally would recommend that you give it a try, even if it ends up not being for you. And if you find your first group is not to your liking for whatever, try another one but don't give up easily. JMO. Each group I've tried has been slightly different. I try yet another one in the morning - a women's group.

Feel free to message me any time if you have any questions or just need support.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for the late reply! I think I will give it a try! No harm is there. I went to one back in february but I was in denial and didn't think I belonged and then ended up back on here! If I had maybe given it time and listened to what people had to say instead of listening to that addiction monster inside of me then I maybe could have been on month 5. I feel different this time...I am ready, feeling excited to start getting back into hobbies I once enjoyed. I have actually realised that when at work I have always been sober and I am very well liked its my friends out of work who are not so keen as I was always drunk which inevitably I have lost many of them. Thank you so much for your help. We can both do this :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get thru the weekend without drinking. I like your idea of taking a reminder along in case you're tempted.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Originally Posted by Lilly88 View Post
Sorry for the late reply! I think I will give it a try! No harm is there. I went to one back in february but I was in denial and didn't think I belonged and then ended up back on here! If I had maybe given it time and listened to what people had to say instead of listening to that addiction monster inside of me then I maybe could have been on month 5. I feel different this time...I am ready, feeling excited to start getting back into hobbies I once enjoyed. I have actually realised that when at work I have always been sober and I am very well liked its my friends out of work who are not so keen as I was always drunk which inevitably I have lost many of them. Thank you so much for your help. We can both do this :-)
Oh I have thoughts every day that I'm probably not an alcoholic, what am I making a big deal out of, I can drink beer if I want, I'm fine. But then I think of all the things I do when I drink, where it leads, etc. And then the things people say in the meetings, it's like "Omg that is ME. I belong here." I should have been there long ago but I didn't think I had a problem then, was not really ready to quit, and would not have been receptive to it.