Notices

New member looking for advice

Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can relate! I started drinking for fun and relaxation from a high profile and high stress job. Fast forward 5 years and I was stashing 40's of cheap beer in my dresser drawer and making an ass of myself on various levels.

After putting up a good fight for about a year or so of off and on drinking I finally gave up and surrendered. It was utterly exhausting for me to moderate my drinking. I have found freedom in sobriety and I'm grateful for it every day.

You can do this!!! Stick close to SR - open 24/7
Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Worko! I'm glad you're finding SR a welcoming place. It worked miracles for me when I really needed friends who understood. Everyone in my life was a social drinker - no one got why I couldn't just have 'one or two'.

As you've already found out, it is a progressive disease. I remember being high on one beer. Over the years, there was no amount great enough to give me the numbness I required. It's so sad it came to that - but in the end I was completely dependent on it. Add me to the list of those who wanted desperately to drink socially but couldn't. One drink always led to 10. I'm glad you're here to discuss your situation and that you reached out for support.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My plan if asked is to tell others that I am focusing on healthy living/eating. Which is true. The people closet to me know, let the others think what they will. I know I will feel better, look better, and be able to respect myself which is what really matters. I hope you keep posting!!