Notices

Day 2

Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I feel excited and resolved today, but I also tend to think that by the time I leave work today I'll be thinking...the liquor store is on the way home. I bought my son and I new pedometers so we can do the 10 000 step challenge over the summer. I figured that since I'm away from work this would be the perfect time to invest in my health, my son, and my desire to rid myself of needless anchors.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is so easy just to stop in and get that 6 pack or that bottle. I am right there with you, every day is a challenge.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me it has always been a case of Kieths....now I'm guessing pop and water. I'm guessing I'll grow to love them too...then again probably not. But I will enjoy not having to hear my son say "dad loves his beer" anymore.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FM, I like the way you are visualizing positive, sober things. Healthiness and happiness. I do the same. I try to hold on to those thoughts as I drive by that liquor store after work. I try to remember that I can't drink and have those things. My thoughts are with you today. Day 2 was my toughest day.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Attitude is everything. Positive is good. What would happen if you visualized your foot not leaving that gas pedal when you saw the liquor store? Challenge your foot not to move, and maybe take you out of yourself for a moment. Maybe that's stupid. I don't know.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How about instead of trying NOT to go to the liquor sore, make a checklist of all the things you plan on doing instead. I mean literally - make a schedule/list for your plans from after work until you go to bed. Day 2 is a very dangerous day...be strong!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice guys! I love this forum. It's making the process a little more bearable today.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alright. First setback. My wife takes a polite phone call from work as an opportunity to berate me for being an emotionally unsupportive husband and having an emotionally unfulfilling relationship with my son. Does this help? No.

What is it when people only seem to see the worst. The phone call was meant to show her I wanted to hear how her day was going. Sometimes I wonder if it my relationship with her that makes me want to drink. I think I'll end up going to bed early tonight just to avoid the inevitable confrontation.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FM, driving home from work knowing my wife was angry and resentful was my 100 megaton trigger. What would happen if you drove directly past the liquor store, went home, then said, "Hey, I'd really like to talk about our phone conversation today"? This is the kind of thing I'm working on now. It's hard because you feel like you are being picked on, but maybe she's just telling you that she's hurting.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I'm still here watching Jack the Giant Slayer with my two kids. 12000 steps today...a good start I think down the road to sobriety. Thanks people - tomorrow is just around the corner.