Notices

Day 2!!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2!!

Well day one went surprisingly well but im not expecting them all to be that way.

I made a lot of possitive choices / changes yesterday and this morning i have to say i feel great! Im even eating breakfast right now which i would normally not be able to face. I didnt sleep that well but not as bad as i had expected as I do already suffer from insomnia.

My challenges for today are -

Not to go for a pub lunch - instead Im going to read 'the secret' in the gardens of where i work.

Thursday evenings to me = early finish from work and then hit the beers by 4:30pm pass out / asleep by 9pm NOT today. Ive collected a parcel from my po box this morning on my way to work, its only been there for 3 weeks but as i knew what it was i couldnt be bothered to collect it. Its new nail polish which i purchased on-line one drunken evening. So tonight Im going to paint my nails, try and make myself feel better about myself.

Im really not looking forward to the weekend. I think I need to plan what we are going to do in order to keep busy. Fingers crossed. I know i sound fairly focused and possitive right now but i know its going to be hard and that there are going to be some very bad times to come too.

In the words of my therapist - 'alcohol is just something that other people do'

Stay strong and thank you all for your ongoing support - Im not feeling so alone right now.

Oz x
Old 06-19-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Very nice! Keep 'em coming...
Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

During my recovery I loved how every day my brain got clearer. I felt like I was coming out of the fog into a beautiful light that just kept getting brighter every day. I hope you experience this too.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Aloneinoz, day 2? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with your therapist.
I even wonder how far some of those 'other people' are from alcoholism.
Good support is paramount IMO and you will get it here and perhaps AA, an option I discovered very late in life and a most worthy one.
Hang on in there, its worth it!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmm starting to struggle a bit now and it's only 6pn
Old 06-20-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Oz, you are going to feel the strong pull of habit and maybe cravings. It's great to have a plan, distract yourself and eat earlier than usual in the evening. Avoid places where you'd normally drink for as long as it takes. I developed some strategies:
- I'd buy a fresh juice
- walk some of way home from work
- eat something sweet
- slow breathe my way through the worst cravings

You can do it! the best bit is waking up the next morning free of self reproach.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok so I've gone to bed at 7/30pm in order to try and stay away from the bottle of wine that's in the fridge.

Would love a glass right now, but I know it wouldn't end with only one glass.

Struggling
Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay strong. Pour the wine down the sink. Get rid of it. If you don't it will continue to "talk" to you all day until you give in.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Aloneinoz, toss it, make it to day 3. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey oz...

you can do this! get a plan in place for the weekend. write down a list of things you can do instead of drinking. keep eating and drink lots of water. come here to read and post as much as you want. reach out to someone BEFORE you drink... and toss that wine!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I've made it without hitting the wine and my partner is home tomorrow so that will make things easier.

I've booked tickets to watch a movie over the weekend - a Pixar movie lol no booze there!!

Signing off for the night & looking forward to day 3!

Oz z
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay strong my friend!

Just remember that the addicted part of your brain will try to trick you and tell you everything it can in order to get you to continue drinking. Don't listen to it! Separate that from your real thoughts and then you will be in control.

One exercise that I did that really helped me was to sit down and tell myself out loud a few times that I was never going to drink again. That I was done. Never, ever drinking again.... and then to sit back and listen to what this addicted voice in my head would tell me. I sat there and wrote down all the excuses that my brain came up with as to why I could not stop drinking. Some of them were quite humorous, such as it telling me that I would not be able to have any fun bowling without a beer! Other excuses it gave me were the normal ones... "what if you have a bad day, or need to relax." But we know there are other ways to deal with those things.

Then I went over the list one by one and tried to figure out if I really thought those things or if there was addicted voice trying to trick me into thinking those are my thoughts. It turns out I was just listening to what I thought were my thoughts, but they really were not. They belonged to the addicted part of my brain and after understanding that, I had full control of my thoughts from then on.

Anyway, doing that exercise really helped me to see the tricks my brain was telling me all in the hopes to deceive me into having a drink. I have not or will not ever be deceived again by that.

Hahahaha, I still laugh that it tried to tell me that I couldn't go bowling without having a drink. Yeah sure, for the 1 time every 5 years that I might go bowling, it tried to tell me that I needed to keep drinking for when that time arises. What a damn liar that addicted voice is!

Hang in there buddy!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the start of day 3 Oz...

D
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone bring on day 3!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello Oz. I'm confused ..why is the wine in the fridge again? I always feel safer without an enemy in my house.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It was a gift to myself and my husband from a friend. its not cheap plonk so i cant throw it. He will drink it this weekend.

No other temptations so all is good.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Yoo ! Hoo! Bring it .....Just think how good it will feel to post DAY 4