Notices

Im new here

Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im new here

Hey everyone ive visited this site before but this is my first post. Ive been sober for 60 days now. The first few days were rough and I ended up in the ER. They diagnosed fatty liver. Ive had anxiety/panic disorder since I was 16 (36 now). It developed into agoraphobia in my early 20's. I used alcohol to self medicate. I drank every night for 15 years. I would drink around 12-16 beers a night. Shortly before I quit I started getting dizzy spells. When I quit they hit full force. I was constantly dizzy, anxious etc. The dizzy spells subsided over a few weeks but have came back. My anxiety is at an all time high. I hardly leave my house. When I do im very anxious.
I reluctantly went in for blood work a week ago and to my surprise everything checked out. Liver, kidneys, thyroid, electrolytes, blood sugar all good etc.

My worst symptom is this dizziness and very bad anxiety. I don't know if the anxiety is causing it or what. When Im laying im usually fine. If I move my head bam it hits and then I get very anxious. Also I feel like im walking on a boat sometimes. When I went to the ER my BP was 200/105. When I left it was 150/69. When I went to the doctor a week ago Ive lost 30 lbs. When they checked my bp it was 145/89. I was also in a bad panic attack.

Im curious to know if this is PAWS. The dizzy feeling and reemergence of severe anxiety. It seems that subtle movements in my surroundings can throw me off into a panic. I just started Celexa 10mg 4 days ago. Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I'm glad you've back to your dr. Does he have any ideas what's going on with your dizziness? I know that anxiety can cause all kinds of awful symptoms, but it seems that something medical could also be going on. I hope you can find a solution.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Badillac77

That is definitely something you need to involve a Dr with - I'm just a layman, but I think it's outside the realm of any PAWs related thing myself.

D
Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, please do see your doctor about this.

to SR!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

without knowing if you've ever been on benzos like ativan, klonipin, valium or anything that ends in "pam", I hesitate to respond with more than a few words of experience.
Very similar background as you but my vertigo, agoraphobia, crippling daily anxiety and so on was a direct result of withdrawing daily (without knowing) my anxiety med. For years.
Spiking BP was another huge issue that got ignored by 4+ professionals. Funny how that was.
Care to share more details?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had first went to immediate care 2 months ago and I was prescribed Xanax. I didn't take any and ended up in the ER the next night. I rarely take them now. I dont like the after feeling I get from them. My dr originally diagnosed BPPV. I have an ENT apt next week. Ive also had a lot of neck tension for quite some time. The ER doc said there was no medical reason for my dizziness. The ER dr also said all of my symptoms were related to anxiety/alcohol withdrawal. I have taken 0.5mg Xanax maybe 5 times since the ER visit. I have also taken 0.5mg Klonopin maybe 4-5 times as well (not back to back)
Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sorry - what you described sounded exactly what I went through with benzo withdrawals. They actually thought it was a post concussion but since it took approx 5 months for the final visit (MRI), even had it been that, I'd of been near healed.
My BP spiked a lot with benzo interdose withdrawal too.

but either way - you definitely don't seem to have any of those problems....I mean benzo related. Smart of you, too!

Do hope you get back to a doctor.You could be suffering from anything from Meniere's disease to anxiety to depression, etc. Check back in when you can. Rooting for ya!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Badillac77 View Post
Hey everyone ive visited this site before but this is my first post. Ive been sober for 60 days now. The first few days were rough and I ended up in the ER. They diagnosed fatty liver. Ive had anxiety/panic disorder since I was 16 (36 now). It developed into agoraphobia in my early 20's. I used alcohol to self medicate. I drank every night for 15 years. I would drink around 12-16 beers a night. Shortly before I quit I started getting dizzy spells. When I quit they hit full force. I was constantly dizzy, anxious etc. The dizzy spells subsided over a few weeks but have came back. My anxiety is at an all time high. I hardly leave my house. When I do im very anxious.
I reluctantly went in for blood work a week ago and to my surprise everything checked out. Liver, kidneys, thyroid, electrolytes, blood sugar all good etc.

My worst symptom is this dizziness and very bad anxiety. I don't know if the anxiety is causing it or what. When Im laying im usually fine. If I move my head bam it hits and then I get very anxious. Also I feel like im walking on a boat sometimes. When I went to the ER my BP was 200/105. When I left it was 150/69. When I went to the doctor a week ago Ive lost 30 lbs. When they checked my bp it was 145/89. I was also in a bad panic attack.

Im curious to know if this is PAWS. The dizzy feeling and reemergence of severe anxiety. It seems that subtle movements in my surroundings can throw me off into a panic. I just started Celexa 10mg 4 days ago. Thanks for any advice.

PAWS gives me anxiety and its almost a throwback sometimes to how I felt when I would be hungover. Its severity ranges each time, but knowing what it is, and that it cant harm you, really helps get through it.

Anxiety is such a pain in the ass. I absolutely despise it, but I will say my strong desire to alleviate my anxiety is what originally thrusted me into sobriety. If it hadnt been so bad, who knows if I would be where I am now. 2 years sober, and I still get small bouts of anxiety, but its nothing, NOTHING like it was when I was hungover and using heavily, or when I detoxed.

Alcohol does a number on the nervous system and brain, especially in regards to anxiety. I think most addicts start using to help with social anxiety, or to self medicate anxiety. The problem is, alcohol is NOT a giver. Whatever it gives you is only temporary, and in return, it takes so much more. Every time you feel good, relaxed, and at ease when you are loaded, realize that it is just a short term little fix. You arent dealing with any of the issues that cause your anxiety, but masking them. When the high wears off, you have to repay the debt, usually by experiencing crippling panic attacks and anxiety the next day. The cycle continues. Anxiety=Drinking=Anxiety and so on, and it only gets worse.

Now that I am sober 2 years, I have little to no anxiety. When I do, I can handle it and carry on my daily routine, because I know I can deal with it. Its not ideal, but I have realized its part of my life. You can feel better, with medication if that is your choice. The thing is, for the meds to work, you cant use. Every-time you use, the chemicals imbalance, and you get worse anxiety............every-time. You can feel better though, through sobriety. Its almost a night and day difference, at least for me. God bless, you can do this.