Notices

Why do I forget just how awful it is?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do I forget just how awful it is?

I am floored by this disease and how I manage to forget the pain and suffering that ensues after a relapse. Its brutal and yet I drank again. Its day 2 and I am determined to get back to the place where I am sober and actually begin to like myself again. I was bordering on a pretty happy existence. I would not wish this disease on my worst enemy. I'm tired of its power over me. Help!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's pretty crazy how those urges can just hit you hard and out of nowhere. When they come I'm trying to think it through on why my brain is craving it so, so hard at that moment.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to forget to remember not to drink. Now I don't. I addressed the problem and found the solution.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

don't entertain the thought of drinking

Originally Posted by JBird100 View Post

I am floored by this disease and how I manage to forget the pain and suffering that ensues after a relapse.
so many times I deceived myself into drinking again
twice with almost three years sober
I learned not to trust the guy who looks back at me in the mirror
my head can go to "stinking thinking" real fast

don't entertain the thought of drinking
if we do for long we will drink yet again
Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is one of the most salient aspects of addiction for so many of us. I call it misery amnesia. I've found that it doesn't really help me to focus on it bc it doesn't necessarily help in not drinking.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From The Dr's Opinion in the book of Alcoholics Anonymous p XXVII

* *Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience

XXIX

the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.
I forget as well how bad it was and I drink again. It's the insanity that proceeds the first drink that the book also talks about. I drink because I'm an alcoholic and I need God (a power greater than myself) for any hope of recovery.

Day 2 is awesome I'm on day 3 so I guess I'm really at day 2 as well when counting days ofrrecovery. Let's do this!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jbord, "bordering on happiness" can be a scary place. I stood at that point many times, and chose to jump back into drinking. I knew nothing of happiness and I knew plenty about failing. Take the leap of faith, and read the words in my signature.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by JBird100 View Post
I am floored by this disease and how I manage to forget the pain and suffering that ensues after a relapse.
The most maddening, baffling, and frustrating aspect of alcohol addiction is continued use despite persistent negative consequences. Part of your brain is literally working against your own self interest in pursuit of its insatiable desire for alcohol. I know exactly what you mean when you say you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. It's a sunnuvabytch.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the excellent feedback. It has helped more than you know. It always helps to know I'm not alone.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it helps to not think so much about the reasons period. We tend to forget how bad we feel when we are drinking or using. I just have a general thought in my mind that I can never drink a drop of alcohol again. Period. I don't care to find out if I'm able to do it in moderation or not. I'm just embracing all of the good things that sobriety brings and this is my new life. If I'm here and at aa and not drinking any longer, I kno there has to be good reason for it and so why even go back?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mick3580 View Post
I used to forget to remember not to drink. Now I don't. I addressed the problem and found the solution.
Me too. That's why in my early days I'm practically living on this site.