Notices

Why is something I hate so bad so hard to stop?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Why is something I hate so bad so hard to stop?

Opiates and benzos. I stayed off of them for 8 years, then relapsed 3 years ago when a girl destroyed my life.
The opiates make me happy and the benzos put me to bed at night. The benzos have been on and off but here lately they are more so on. I work crazy times and can't get on a normal sleep schedule plus I've always had trouble sleeping.

Back in April, I quit for 6 days, then I went to talk to a friend and his girlfriend came home and just pulled them out in front of me and got blasted. That destroyed me and all of the pride I had for my 6 days.

The only way I can quit is when I'm broke. I'm tired of being broke.
There isn't anything in it for me anymore. Even if I had a thousand of them, it would only get me to normal.

It sickens me to no end when I use, I don't even enjoy it. But it shuts up the demons in my head that keep saying "you're bored, you're sick, you won't enjoy that, you might've liked it while you were high, but you won't like it now..."

I know I can make it 6 days because I just did it 2 months ago. But here are the things that I fear and the things that make me weak.

1. Not being able to find pleasure in anything.
2. Not being able to sleep.
3. Boredom (see #1).

When I look around the world all I see is the bad. The monotony. The cycle of life. No purpose in anything I do.

I'm not giving up, I just have no purpose, no direction, and no incentive.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey there eastboundndown.

Sorry to hear you are low. It's such a trap isn't it - it's hard to make that adjustment to sobriety. But how were your 8 years compared with the last 3? Can you remember the time after you got past the first difficult days and weeks?

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

God bless +

Michael
Old 06-18-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi East,

I'm sorry you're struggling so much right now. You said you stopped for 8 years once, that's a great accomplishment, so you know you CAN do it.

I think it might take longer than 6 days to restore your ability to find pleasure in things and sleep well......but very worth it
Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
jkb

When I look around the world all I see is the bad. The monotony. The cycle of life. No purpose in anything I do.

That was me when I was on benzos. Once I broke free of them, which was no easy task...btw... I realized the benzos had been running the show for a long time. Those feelings left and after a while I felt emotions again.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

bigsombrero posted this article awhile back. I think it explains the "addict's dilemma" you are experiencing quite well.

The Addict's Dilemna
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some great advice here east.

My drugs were different but the situation was the same - I was styuck in a cycle of needing stuff to basically function.

To break that cycle, I had to make a lot of changes. Big Changes.
I changed my life, my friends everything.

I'm not saying thats what you need to do, but I am saying you need to work out what you're prepared to do to change - and do it.

If you want change make change.

Things will not be fun - and they will continue not to be fun, not for days, but for a month or three - but things aren't fun now, judging by your post?.

You know what using gets you. Time for something different?

What have you got to lose?

D
Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The addicts dilemma described me perfectly and I thank you for the insight it provided.

When I got clean 8 years ago it wasn't long before I started working 60 hours a week and then went back to school full time and working part time after that. I had friends galore, no time to waste, no boredom, and I always had something to do and someone to do it with. But after reading that article, I realize that the reason that I don't have any of those things now (except for a great job) is that my priority is my addiction. Before I will do almost anything, there has to be a drug involved...Before I begin the journey and during the journey. I put that paramount above everything....therefore it is all that I have.
I can handle the physical agony. It's the psychological that I can't handle.

When I quit 8 years ago, I immersed myself in taking care of my health. I was religiously at the gym and the food I ate was so healthy most dogs wouldn't eat it. That is what I've always attributed my sobriety to back then. That is where I want to get to now, I just wish I could wake up in the morning and go to the gym but I'd rather sit at home in isolation, my only contact with the outside world is with a drug dealer with no teeth and waste my money on something that makes me feel normal. I'm getting so pissed off at myself right now typing this, so I'm going to shush myself.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get clean again. You did it before and you can do it again. How badly do you want it? You'll have to make some changes in your life but I promise it will be worth it.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by CharlieNoogan View Post
bigsombrero posted this article awhile back. I think it explains the "addict's dilemma" you are experiencing quite well.

The Addict's Dilemna
Thank you for reposting this Charlie and thanks as well to the man in the big hat. My first time seeing it and it's spot on.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well when I ask myself how I feel about quitting...it makes me smile and my answer is "liberating".
I can't tell you how sick I am of "the game". Driving here and there, ATM, get to 'normal' then hate myself and feel guilty for the rest of the night. Then repeat the next day. Sometimes the only reason I get out of bed is because I have some left from the night before.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Have you ever seen the test they do with mice . One vial filled with cocaine , one vial filled with a life sustaining substance ( ie. Water, food ) connected to pedals. That darn mouse taps the cocaine pedal till death , completely ignoring food and water. Sound familiar
Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikyriky View Post
Have you ever seen the test they do with mice . One vial filled with cocaine , one vial filled with a life sustaining substance ( ie. Water, food ) connected to pedals. That darn mouse taps the cocaine pedal till death , completely ignoring food and water. Sound familiar
Couldn't have said that any better lol. Very familiar