Notices

Day 8 - just got out of jail..

Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by jakec View Post
One week ago, I had court.. My Father told the judge about all the drugs I've been doing, about the not coming home for days, the lying, the stealing.. so the judge sent me to jail and let me tell you that was the worst experience of my life but It really opened my eyes to A LOT of things, and I feel like my connection with my Higher Power is now stronger than ever.. so maybe that needed to happen as horrible as it was.

My Dad bailed me out yesterday, and I'm going to a 28 day in-patient program very soon at this really nice hospital.

You guys don't even know how grateful I am today, for life.. for god.. for those who care about me and support me.. and Sober Recovery of course

So 8 days clean today and I'm just checking in!
Sometimes the worst things in life, turn out to be the things that save us.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jakec View Post

My Dad bailed me out yesterday, and I'm going to a 28 day in-patient program very soon at this really nice hospital.
that is a real blessing
good luck to you
actually your contact with your higher power
has nothing to do with luck
may I just say -- happy prayers
Old 06-19-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 days sober! Don't ignore the wake up call, the world is littered with people ruined by drug and booze. Glad you come here for support.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I'm going to share some information my wife got in rehab seven years ago:

What Treatment Can provide
(from Lake Chelan Community Hospital, Washington)

1. Treatment can help you through withdrawal
a. Provide health monitoring by medical staff
b. Provide support and encouragement by peers and staff
c. Provide therapeutic environment by Chemical Dependency Counselors
d. Provide assistance from support staff

2. Treatment can offer hope
a. I can change
b. I can have personal empowerment
c. I can participate in my recovery
d. I can communicate honestly in my relationships

3. Treatment can offer a forum in which to interact with other addicts/alcoholics
a. I am not alone
b. I am not bad
c. I have a disease
d. Others have it too
e. I can talk and listen freely with my peer group and counselors

5. Treatment can teach alternative methods and coping skills
a. I can learn to communicate my needs.
b. I can talk through my problems
c. I can identify and own my feelings
d. I can be individual and interdependent
e. I can learn to think of alternatives rather than compulsively react
f. I can have choices and evaluate consequences of those choices

6. Treatment provides a supportive environment
a. I am safe
b. Therapists, counselors, doctors and nurses are supportive of my recovery
c. My family can receive help through the family program
d. There are role models of recovery and mentors in treatment
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here are some tips from the Lake Chelan Community Hospital dual-diagnosis recovery program:

Key Methods of Living Sober

Attend a meeting daily. If needed, attend more in a day.

Participate in the meetings. The more you give, the more you get!

Introduce yourself to another person before or after the meeting. Do this until you know three people to say "Hi" to when you come to a meeting again.

Call two people from the phone list you received. Explain you are new and just want to practice using the phone. Ask about good meetings to attend. Or just wish the person "Happy New Year!"--it might make their day!

Listen to the announcements. Some AA or NA events are just for fun.

Select a sponsor as soon as possible. The person should have at least one year consecutive sobriety and know and practice the program. He/she should be able to guide you through step work and be reasonably available.

Start you day by acknowledging your higher power and ask for guidance. Close your day with gratitude for your sobriety and any other gifts which came your way.

Set aside 5 to 10 minutes a day to read a portion of the big book or NA text. Increase the time as your brain waves begin to level.

Allow yourself time to rest each day. Eat nutritiously on a regular basis.

Take time out when your emotions are on a major high or low. Balance is the goal.

Prayer is the telephone to your higher power. How do you know he won't answer if you don't call?

Ask for serenity from your higher power. The "Serenity Prayer" has saved many.

Call your sponsor or a friend on the phone list when you are out of sync.

Write about your feelings in a journal.

Make a list of the options that help you when you get into the trapped feelings. Make the list when you are feeling free.

Make notes that inspire your recovery and place them in conspicuous places. It might help prevent you from a relapse.

Remember that a compulsion only lasts forever if you give in to it.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

What to Expect in Stabilization through Discovery Phase of Recovery

1. The chemically dependent person's body will catch up on REM (dream) sleep, missed during active addiction.

2. Nightmares and restlessness often result from withdrawal and disruptive sleep patterns induced by the addictive lifestyle and the drugs.

3. There is usually difficulty with short-term memory. One can lay something down and a moment later forget what he did with it.

4. Over-reaction to physical, emotional, and mental stresses is common. A sense of numbness may also occur, in which the emotions feel shut down.

5. Feelings may "roller coaster." Mood swings rapidly changing from high to low to high again through the day.

6. Depression, anxiousness, fear, anger, shame and guilt may interrupt the sense of hope and relief found in treatment and the 12-step programs.

7. Physical coordination is often compromised. One may suddenly find herself clumsy and awkward. Perhaps spilling things and tripping over objects.

8. Difficulty concentrating and staying focused is also a common problem.

9. Repetitive thinking may make you feel insanity is lurking in your brain. It's often referred to as brain racing. It especially occurs at night when trying to go to sleep.

As your body and mind struggle to stay "above water" keep these facts in mind.
Recovery is a slow process but it is a process and will have benefits beyond the first few weeks.
Recovery from the damage to the central nervous system requires from six months to two years of healthy recovery, meaning nutrition, exercise, sleep pattern and meeting pattern need to be routine.
All changes produce stress. Even positive change requires patience and reliance on the programs. During the first two years it is advised that you reduce stress by keeping your life simple.
Make only necessary changes. Major changes should be avoided for a while if possible.
The biggest change you need to focus on is the changes happening in you. Enlist the help of the program members and your sponsor to help you through the process.