Notices

My first drinking dream

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Today

My first drinking dream

I had my first drinking dream last night. Anyone else dreams about drinking?

I remember it vividly:

I met my husband on the patio bar a Tiki/Hawaiian type of restaurant. The environment was very cool, friendly, and boisterous - my dream bar. He was sitting at the bar drinking a VERY large beer in a frosty mug, and everyone else at the bar had large beers as well. Everyone was so friendly and sociable. I saw the beer and said, "Now that's a beer!" and then I thought, "Oh no, I forgot that I don't drink anymore. *sad feeling* Having that beer would be more fun. Screw it, I'm having the beer."

I'm happy it was just a dream and that I woke up this morning not hungover, not feeling dizzy, not shaky, not sick to my stomach, no headache, and not ashamed of what embarrassing thing I did last night, and not feeling guilty for being a bad mom.

Day 5, here I come.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking dreams are very common - very vivid too usually...but yeah it's good to wake up sober

D
Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah, i've had one. it was brutal. in the dream, i went from completely sober to insanely wasted instantly, without having taken a sip. my dream-self was screaming mad in the dream, and when i woke up, i was afraid, shaken and angry. i had to splash cold water on my face, then i reached out to my sponsor to talk it through. in the end, i decided to look at it as a reminder of the choice i have everyday... choose sobriety or keep drinking my life away. (i'm so grateful to be able to choose sobriety everyday!)

i just had a recovery dream the other night... it was awesome! it was a time capsule of all the amazing stuff i'm learning, feeling and doing in my sober journey... and i'm going to hold onto that one as a reminder, too!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

A recovery dream would be great!

I find it interesting how right when I walked up to the bar in my dream, I instantly felt at home.

I've seen a lotttttttt of bars in my day. My husband and I used to have bars where we'd go every night, immediately after work to drink, getting to know all the other barflies and staff. We had to start drinking at home after we had kids, but I loved hanging out at the bar and drinking all night, not stopping until closing time.

I do not miss everything that came along with it. Not at all.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, I had one last night. Day 7/8 for me after many attemps, the last one for 6 weeks.
I had bought a litre of vodka and was drinking it. Feeling really angry at myself, hiding the remainder of the bottle in my bedroom. Then I woke up. I lay in bed ofr 5 minutes praying (yet knowing) it was a dream. I had a dry mouth (symtosymatic?) and felt awful. I got up like the dog who has stolen the cats dinner and the owners come home, creeping around the bedroom just checking for evidence that it WAS a dream. Thank god it was. Very freaked out by it. Also pleased as it was a free warning.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still have them and I'm almost 14 months into sobriety. When I have a dream about drinking, it always involves me being terrified that I've started drinking again. Then I wake up and I realize I haven't slipped. Sobriety is extra satisfying when I wake up and realize I haven't fallen off the wagon.

I was having them pretty much every night during my first couple months though.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still have them and like zalfa it is always so nice to wake up sober. I had 2 DUI's and I always dream about getting the third and running away from the cops. I wake up, look around and say "yeah baby, still sober"!! I am 9 months sober and I don't have them as often but they can still freak me out. Sometimes I use them as a good reminder of what I never want to go back to.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am eight years sober and I still have one on occasion.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

They pop up every now & then & I'm 27 months sober. It seems they pop up when I am struggling with life issues as in the past, that is when I always turned to the drink. Always glad to wake up & realize it was just a dream with no bad side effects..
Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I didn't have them at all the first few weeks but I do have them on occasion now. I would think the frequency might go down over time. The same thing happened to me when I quit Nicotine (smokeless) about 3 years ago. I rarely ever have those anymore but they do pop up out of the blue now and again.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I've only had one. Somewhere around the 20-30 day mark. I remember a bottle of Guinness... cold, frosty, chilled. Took a swallow. Don't remember much else until the sudden realization several moments later... maybe even hours later??... that I still held the liquid in my mouth! I hadn't swallowed it

So I had initially panicked thinking I'd swallowed the beer, but then relief came when I found I'd only held it in my mouth.

After I woke up and told my husband... I thought, wait a minute... I'm sure I absorbed all the alcohol through the lining of my cheeks!! Lol. Leave it to me to analyze things later.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Interesting!

I didn't drink the beer in my dream. I remember getting out of my seat and going off to do something, but I don't remember what.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, I've had a handful of drinking dreams in the last 4.5 months. They are typically the same where I'm out with friends who are drinking and then I think, "I'll just have a sip" or "why not" and then I'm immediately disappointed with myself. Then the same terrible feeling arises, like I had just run 25 miles in a marathon and quit before finishing the last mile. I wake up in a bit of confusion, wondering if it really happened. I think that's why I count my sobriety days, I feel like that ever increasing number is my badge of honor that I refuse to lose. Thank goodness they're only dreams.